F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 435i Tuning Questions
proTUNING Freaks

11-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
juliomadara7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i X-Drive

Been patiently looking into finally starting to tune my 435i, nothing too crazy just more power and sound.

The plan is:
AA Catless DP
JB4
Injen intake
FMIC (eventually)

Main question I have is; is there any precautions I should take to make sure it's ok to send it. I know you can't just slap bolt-ons on and call it a go, but this seems fairly simple for what I'd like to achieve.

Really any advice/suggestions would be helpful
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Your going to need an upgraded charge pipe. The stock one is plastic and prone to crack even with stock boost levels.

You will also want to up the priority of the fmic. With the addition of boost, iats will quickly overwhelm the stock intercooler. Intercooler is more of a necessity than the intake, which would really be just for sound.
Appreciate 4
      11-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
Your going to need an upgraded charge pipe. The stock one is plastic and prone to crack even with stock boost levels.

You will also want to up the priority of the fmic. With the addition of boost, iats will quickly overwhelm the stock intercooler. Intercooler is more of a necessity than the intake, which would really be just for sound.
I second this. Charge pipe, and fmic. If stage 2 is a plan (not sure what that equates to on jb4) then a downpipe is necessary too. Intake and exhaust are basically for sound I think.
      11-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
juliomadara7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Forgot to throw upgraded CP in there. What is IAT? Are you referring to heat soak?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliomadara7 View Post
Quote:

Forgot to throw upgraded CP in there. What is IAT? Are you referring to heat soak?
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure its "intake air temps"?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I've only been driving a bimmer, and really into cars since March.
      11-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
that cp is a must, and do the intercooler asap too
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

The hierarchy of parts installed in my opinion would be

1. Charge pipe
2. FMIC
3. Downpipe
4. Tune
5. Intake if you must purchase one. I would get inlet over intake

Charge pipe for reliability and peace of mind. The FMIC will keep intake temperatures in check and allow the engine to continue to produce peak power after driving for awhile. Majorly beneficial on stock engine and will feel a small but noticeable HP increase from the FMIC. Downpipe frees up the turbo to exit more air faster. Again majorly beneficial on stock car as well as a really nice hp increase from the downpipe. Once these mods are installed then I feel is the perfect time to introduce the tune. Your car will be best equipped and will be better capable to handle the extra stress.

I've toyed with a couple intakes and compared them through data logs with lackluster results. Stock or Mppk + drop in filter still seems to be as good or better than any other intake performance wise. Sound wise there are plenty that make more whooshy noises.

Happy building!!

Chase
Appreciate 3
BMWApp221.50
exE36M3486.00
      11-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post

1. Charge pipe
2. FMIC
3. Downpipe
4. Tune

Charge pipe for reliability and peace of mind. The FMIC will keep intake temperatures in check and allow the engine to continue to produce peak power after driving for awhile. Majorly beneficial on stock engine and will feel a small but noticeable HP increase from the FMIC. Downpipe frees up the turbo to exit more air faster. Again majorly beneficial on stock car as well as a really nice hp increase from the downpipe. Once these mods are installed then I feel is the perfect time to introduce the tune. Your car will be best equipped and will be better capable to handle the extra stress.

I've toyed with a couple intakes and compared them through data logs with lackluster results. Stock or Mppk + drop in filter still seems to be as good or better than any other intake performance wise. Sound wise there are plenty that make more whooshy noises.

Happy building!!

Chase
This is very helpful. I am picking up a 2015 435i with MPPK and MPE and will be ordering a chargepipe and FMIC soon. I was also thinking of a drop-in filter like K&N or aFe Pro Dry.
      11-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Been patiently looking into finally starting to tune my 435i, nothing too crazy just more power and sound.

The plan is:
AA Catless DP
JB4
Injen intake
FMIC (eventually)

Main question I have is; is there any precautions I should take to make sure it's ok to send it. I know you can't just slap bolt-ons on and call it a go, but this seems fairly simple for what I'd like to achieve.

No precautions needed other than not running the stage 2 map until all the mods are installed (including the charge pipe)

depending on how old your spark plugs are, you might experience a misfire due to the high boost. If that happens, upgrade to the NGK colder plugs and you are set.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
skyactiv0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i XDrive

Quote:

1. Charge pipe
2. FMIC
3. Downpipe
4. Tune

Happy building!!

Chase
This is what I'm currently doing as well. Shopping around for a downpipe during these black friday sales.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

My 2-cents...

1. Charge pipe
2. FMIC
3. Limited Slip Differential
4. Tune

I know there's a BIG debate online when people talk about the LSD ONLY if you *turn* the car... but it's stupidly amazing how much more power you feel... even pointed straight.

Plus leaving trails of 11's is fine too.
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2020, 02:53 AM   #12
juliomadara7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

The plan is:
AA Catless DP
JB4
Injen intake
FMIC (eventually)

No precautions needed other than not running the stage 2 map until all the mods are installed (including the charge pipe)

depending on how old your spark plugs are, you might experience a misfire due to the high boost. If that happens, upgrade to the NGK colder plugs and you are set.
In your opinion how well does the ZF-8 trans hold up with the added power. I know there's been long standing arguments with whether or not the added torque will spin rods etc. or even be able to produce the power safely.

I understand when modding you cut 30%-50% of the engine life and maintenance intervals will be need to be doubled but from a general standpoint have you heard anything in a little worried after just hitting 100K on the odometer.

Big fans of XPH and reading your comments too!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #13
juliomadara7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

1. Charge pipe
2. FMIC
3. Downpipe
4. Tune

Happy building!!

Chase
How's your build holding?

Recommendations for FMIC and tune?
I'd like to go JB4 but I eat good feedback for BM3 or MHD
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:57 AM   #14
juliomadara7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
Quote:

1. Charge pipe
2. FMIC
3. Downpipe
4. Tune

Happy building!!

Chase
This is very helpful. I am picking up a 2015 435i with MPPK and MPE and will be ordering a chargepipe and FMIC soon. I was also thinking of a drop-in filter like K&N or aFe Pro Dry.
K&N drop-in is solid, you really hear the car breath lot more plus turbo sounds are a +1
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #15
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive MSport

I'd say charge pipe and FMIC first to run stage 1 (I have BM3). I know most people say that to run stage one you don't need any mods and although this is true, I recommend changing at least the charge pipe. Not an expert by any means, just speaking from experience. My BM3 was delivered before any of my other parts (charge pipe, DP, FMIC, intake) and I ran stage 1 for a week before my charge pipe exploded.
The guys at XPH are great and will give you a good price and will guide you through the process.
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #16
juliomadara7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hristo.p View Post
I'd say charge pipe and FMIC first to run stage 1 (I have BM3). I know most people say that to run stage one you don't need any mods and although this is true, I recommend changing at least the charge pipe. Not an expert by any means, just speaking from experience. My BM3 was delivered before any of my other parts (charge pipe, DP, FMIC, intake) and I ran stage 1 for a week before my charge pipe exploded.
The guys at XPH are great and will give you a good price and will guide you through the process.
What made you go w BM3?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive MSport

Quote:
What made you go w BM3?
I used the forum to read about it. I was in between JB4 and BM3, IMO BM3 is easier to instal since it is not a piggy back but just a flash. It literally took me 20 mins to figure out how to flash and do it. Happy with the performance, the burbles and the open exhaust valve. JB4 may be a good option if you'd like to wire stuff and if you have more experience. I am a beginner in terms of mods so that's why I chose BM3. There are so many threads in the forum, spend some time to look at them before you decide for yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #18
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
How's your build holding?

Recommendations for FMIC and tune?
I'd like to go JB4 but I eat good feedback for BM3 or MHD
Car is running tip top! Have had no issues since going FBO about 10k miles ago.

I have Evolution Racewerks Competition IC. It is quite large and I purchased it with the long term plan of upgrading the turbo (still might at some point). I love it and it keeps my IAT really solid in my logs. I also have ER Charge Pipe and ER Turbo to Intercooler pipe so I liked having all 3 from same manufacturer.

Bm3 is the 2nd type of tune that I have ran and I have nothing but positive feedback on it. Ease of use, powerful tunes, and good customer service from them. I have never used JB4 so I cannot comment on that but I do know a little about it from reading posts on here. I would personally steer more towards either BM3 or MHD, both nice platforms.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In your opinion how well does the ZF-8 trans hold up with the added power. I know there's been long standing arguments with whether or not the added torque will spin rods etc. or even be able to produce the power safely.

I understand when modding you cut 30%-50% of the engine life and maintenance intervals will be need to be doubled but from a general standpoint have you heard anything in a little worried after just hitting 100K on the odometer.

Thank you

I dont necessarily agree that mods cut the engine life. Im buying 2014 335 this weekend with 110k miles and it will be fully modded . I do not expect any maintenance issues outside of what a stock 335 with 110k miles will have

If you use trusted mods and run the recommended maps for your mods and fuel, you will not damage your engine in any way.

The transmission will hold as well without any issues.

Appreciate 2
      11-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #20
juliomadara7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

Thank you

I dont necessarily agree that mods cut the engine life. Im buying 2014 335 this weekend with 110k miles and it will be fully modded . I do not expect any maintenance issues outside of what a stock 335 with 110k miles will have

If you use trusted mods and run the recommended maps for your mods and fuel, you will not damage your engine in any way.

The transmission will hold as well without any issues.
Excited for you man!

I agree the ZF8 can hold the power but for how long?
I've read a lot that the max torque output is already set in the stock trans (350nm-550nm). Others speak differently but there's been no concrete evidence (that's I've seen) that it can take on more of the load.

Just curious if you seen/heard anything since you're a trusted source. Either way I will tune the car regardless but scary to think about since I would like to have the car for 4-5 more years.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Excited for you man!

I agree the ZF8 can hold the power but for how long?
I've read a lot that the max torque output is already set in the stock trans (350nm-550nm). Others speak differently but there's been no concrete evidence (that's I've seen) that it can take on more of the load.

Just curious if you seen/heard anything since you're a trusted source. Either way I will tune the car regardless but scary to think about since I would like to have the car for 4-5 more years.
As long as you are not aiming for crazy numbers with upgraded turbos, the transmission will hold for a long time. Probably as long as it would hold with stock power.

I find Stage 2 FBO with stock turbo safe for high mileage cars

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 11-30-2020 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:

1. Charge pipe
2. FMIC
3. Downpipe
4. Tune

Happy building!!

Chase
Follow the recommendations in this post.

CP+IC --> Stage 1

Add DP --> stage 2 (or 2+ if MHD)

There's no reason for a JB4 with what you are seeking. Get BM3 or MHD. Read both threads if you want to understand the nuanced differences between each, otherwise just pick one.

When you are complacent with those mods, add a turbo inlet (MST v2 highly recommended). I demonstrated this is a tangible improvement both with data and subjectively. Alternatively to the inlet, another mod to satisfy the itch and pair with other "FBO" mods is XHP. Eventually, do both, as drivability and throttle response will be excellent. As you alluded to, there are torque limits in the 8AT. XHP is the way to 'properly' up those limits so you can get full power in 3rd and 6th gear.

Skip the intake unless you want noise. Same for exhaust.

Of course, before any mods, do maintenance as mentioned. Trans pan and fluid should have been done around 75k miles. Plugs every 30kish once tuned. Go OEM plugs (bosch) with stock gap. NGKs are not an "upgrade" - only switch to those if you have issues with OEM. Read numerous threads in the maint. section of these forums if you want more recommendations on service intervals.

Inlet thread (find my post with data later on): https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1656337

My intake review thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765289

My datalogging thread, for after you tune: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327
Appreciate 3