F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Squealing noise, rough idle.
ARMA SPEED

03-11-2019, 04:47 AM   #1
samsont
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Squealing noise, rough idle.

I have a squealing noise that sounds like a belt slipping but I think it might be something else. At the same time the car is idling rough. When the engine is cold there is no squealing, only after driving for about 10 minutes the squealing starts and the engine runs rough at idle. I made a video of it:
https://youtu.be/2scCB-umqwQ

Any ideas?

Edit: I think I might of answered my own question. I searched squealing noise on YouTube and the first video was about replacing the PCV valve in the valve cover. I'm going to try that unless somebody thinks it's something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqoNtu7QHyw

Last edited by samsont; 03-11-2019 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I think you have found your problem. that is exactly what I experienced a couple of weeks ago and the the squealing/whistling was air being sucked into the valve cover via the gasket. Quick way to check is start the car and let idle, attempt to remove the oil filler cap. It should have a slight vacuum on it. Mine was so strong, I was barely able to pull the cap off.
Appreciate 0