F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Dust behind plastic cover to dashboard
proTUNING Freaks

01-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
abinder99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i xdrive convertible

Dust behind plastic cover to dashboard

I've had my 2015 F33 since April. I dust/clean up the interior about once every 3 to 4 weeks. I am very careful not to wipe the plastic in front of the dash or the temperature display as I can tell they will scratch easily. However, a small amount of dust has found itself on the inside of the speedometer display. I am tempted to unscrew the piece (I notice there is a screw at the top), but I'm concerned about creating a bigger issue than I have now.

I'm doing my best to ignore it, but it is prevalent in the right sunlight and driving me a bit nuts.

Has anyone had to remove the plastic to clean behind it?
Attached Images

Last edited by abinder99; 01-25-2016 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

I haven't done it yet, but I've heard you just have to take out the two torx screws at the top and pry the clear shield off. I would suggest using rubber gloves to avoid leaving any finger prints and a can of compressed air to get rid of the dust instead of a cloth. All the plastics in the cluster look very prone to scratches/smudges.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
DLNDGUY
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Luxury Line

If you end up removing the cover, please post how it went.

I have marks on the inside (by the trip odometer reset button). It drives me nuts. Called my dealer and they said that the cover can't be ordered as a separate part and the entire cluster would need to be order.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I have a similar dust issue with my 13 335. The F-30 Bentley manual is supposed to be released in Mar. Hopefully that will have some guidance on removing the instrument cluster and the clear lens,
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
abinder99
Enlisted Member
Rep

I haven't done it yet. Has anyone else removed the plastic cover of the dash? How did it go?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I have this too. Annoying
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
abinder99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLNDGUY View Post
If you end up removing the cover, please post how it went.

I have marks on the inside (by the trip odometer reset button). It drives me nuts. Called my dealer and they said that the cover can't be ordered as a separate part and the entire cluster would need to be order.
Well I tried it and your dealer would be correct. The plastic front does not come off. When I took out the two screws and slightly pulled, the entire cluster was coming out. I looked everywhere, and there is no way to remove the plastic cover. I am a bit annoyed, but what can you do. Not going to replace the whole cluster over some dust. I'm not that nuts. Or am I...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

I have the same issues, any solutions?????

So annoying..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
abinder99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nope. $995 for new cluster.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #10
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinder99 View Post
I've had my 2015 F33 since April. I dust/clean up the interior about once every 3 to 4 weeks. I am very careful not to wipe the plastic in front of the dash or the temperature display as I can tell they will scratch easily. However, a small amount of dust has found itself on the inside of the speedometer display. I am tempted to unscrew the piece (I notice there is a screw at the top), but I'm concerned about creating a bigger issue than I have now.

I'm doing my best to ignore it, but it is prevalent in the right sunlight and driving me a bit nuts.

Has anyone had to remove the plastic to clean behind it?
Almost same issue. Inside of lens is 'fogged up' in certain areas. Car is still under warranty (2017 440i convertible) with only 11,000 miles. When I bring in for service next month I am going to request they eliminate, and if they have to replace entire cluster under warranty then so be it. Cannot believe that a car this expensive ($65,000) has these kinds of issues. Not impressed at all with quality of BMW (exterior paint, glass, cheap looking interior, very poor gas mileage).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #11
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Almost same issue. Inside of lens is 'fogged up' in certain areas. Car is still under warranty (2017 440i convertible) with only 11,000 miles. When I bring in for service next month I am going to request they eliminate, and if they have to replace entire cluster under warranty then so be it. Cannot believe that a car this expensive ($65,000) has these kinds of issues. Not impressed at all with quality of BMW (exterior paint, glass, cheap looking interior, very poor gas mileage).
Did you have any luck with this? I am wanting to request they take care of this as well.
      12-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Quote:
Did you have any luck with this? I am wanting to request they take care of this as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, not yet. When I took car in for service last week it was a rainy, dark day & the Service Advisor could not see what I was complaining about. Told to bring it back on a sunny day so it would be noticeable. I will be bringing it back in a few days; but the impression I got was that it would be replaced (entire cluster, because lens alone can't be replaced. Let you know.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #13
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, not yet. When I took car in for service last week it was a rainy, dark day & the Service Advisor could not see what I was complaining about. Told to bring it back on a sunny day so it would be noticeable. I will be bringing it back in a few days; but the impression I got was that it would be replaced (entire cluster, because lens alone can't be replaced. Let you know.
Dealer replacing lens/cluster assembly (under warranty). Being done now and when I bring home I need to get re-coded.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #14
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dealer replacing lens/cluster assembly (under warranty). Being done now and when I bring home I need to get re-coded.
Slight hiccup here. When dealer installed new lens/cluster unit, they could not reprogram car. Tried a whole day and finally decided the unit they received was defective and had to order a new one. Let's see how long this takes. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I brought car in. True I have a loaner, a 430 GC, but I miss my 440i convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #15
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Slight hiccup here. When dealer installed new lens/cluster unit, they could not reprogram car. Tried a whole day and finally decided the unit they received was defective and had to order a new one. Let's see how long this takes. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I brought car in. True I have a loaner, a 430 GC, but I miss my 440i convertible.
Got my 440i back. New lens/cluster and re-programmed. So far all seems ok! I had to re-do memory buttons 1-8, re-pair telephones. They put same mileage on new cluster that was on old one.
Appreciate 0