F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Audi A4 vs BMW 3 series
proTUNING Freaks

05-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #155
NotQuickEnough
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330ci & 335i

After a number of 330 and 335i cars I went to Audi, mainly because I wanted AWD and at this time BMW aren't treating xdrive as a performance AWD system outside of some very expensive M cars. No regrets but I'm hoping the G series will take AWD more performance oriented like my Audi which has torque vectoring rear diff. It's good to have competition and choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #156
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuickEnough View Post
After a number of 330 and 335i cars I went to Audi, mainly because I wanted AWD and at this time BMW aren't treating xdrive as a performance AWD system outside of some very expensive M cars. No regrets but I'm hoping the G series will take AWD more performance oriented like my Audi which has torque vectoring rear diff. It's good to have competition and choice.
What Audi did you get?

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #157
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Friend of mine just leased a new A4 with prestige etc. He loves the car. He's a serial lease guy and has leased just about everything in the realm of these cars i.e. previous gen A4, a 328, lexus is350, etc. and he says the A4 is the best of the lot thus far. We are supposed to meet for lunch at some point and I can drive it but it hasn't happened yet. For me it comes down to 2 factors - exterior look and lease deals. I lease these cars and Audi leases don't come close to BMW, at least they didn't the last 2 cars I have leased, because I looked at Audis and the lease deals blow in comparison. I highly doubt the Audi drives that much better. What is funny is how all the car mags claim the new A4 is the best now but several reviews talk about numb steering and my friend says the steering in his Audi is numb as well. Isn't that supposedly the main gripe with the F30? The steering?

As for look, I think the new A4 is kind of plain. I have the M Sport trim with the LED headlights and I prefer the look of my car vs. the new A4. The interior, the Audi has it hands down. Doesn't take a 'car guy' to see that. Unless you get into a well optioned 5 series or an X5 or something, BMW 3 series interiors never touch Audi. This is why a $25k VW Golf will have a nicer interior than a 3 series - Audi family.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 05-05-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #158
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Friend of mine just leased a new A4 with prestige etc. He loves the car. He's a serial lease guy and has leased just about everything in the realm of these cars i.e. previous gen A4, a 328, lexus is350, etc. and he says the A4 is the best of the lot thus far. We are supposed to meet for lunch at some point and I can drive it but it hasn't happened yet. For me it comes down to 2 factors - exterior look and lease deals. I lease these cars and Audi leases don't come close to BMW, at least they didn't the last 2 cars I have leased, because I looked at Audis and the lease deals blow in comparison. I highly doubt the Audi drives that much better. What is funny is how all the car mags claim the new A4 is the best now but several reviews talk about numb steering and my friend says the steering in his Audi is numb as well. Isn't that supposedly the main gripe with the F30? The steering?

As for look, I think the new A4 is kind of plain. I have the M Sport trim with the LED headlights and I prefer the look of my car vs. the new A4. The interior, the Audi has it hands down. Doesn't take a 'car guy' to see that. Unless you get into a well optioned 5 series or an X5 or something, BMW 3 series interiors never touch Audi. This is why a $25k VW Golf will have a nicer interior than a 3 series - Audi family.
Yeah, I test drive an A4 when the new ones just came out, and I thought the steering was crap below 35-40mph in any mode. Past that speed, and in sport mode (or whatever they call it), it firms up and feels somewhat lively, although not very playful. But in Bay Area traffic and some of the suburban roads I’m on, 25-35mph steering matters. And at those speeds it is loose, vague, and way too light, in any mode. Don’t know if they’ve made minor improvements, but right after I drove the A4, I went across town and tried out a base 330i, and the steering honestly felt better. Not any more feelsome, but appropriately weighty and precise.

As for the reviews, besides the whole journalist flavor of the month thing, at higher speeds, the steering and the chassis do work quite well together. It’s a different kind of car, though. The C and the 3 both feel tighter at all speeds to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #159
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post

I test drove the 2017 A4 Premium Plus a couple of times. Here's my take on the car vs. the 3-series:
1) Steering is extremely light. Firms up only slightly in Dynamic Mode.
2) No memory buttons like BMW.
3) B&O stereo is very nice.
4) Seats are not as comfortable as 3-series.
5) Side mirrors are a touch too small.
6) Front proximity sensor alarm went off a couple of times while driving.
7) Engine does not sound as good as 3-series.
8) AC works much better than 3-series (sun sensors on front door panels).
9) Throttle response feels lazy compared to 3-series.
10) Door storage not as good as 3-series.
11) Slightly less road noise than 3-series.
12) Quattro helps around corners when throttle applied. Without throttle, handling maybe not quite as good as 3-series.
13) Sharp angles everywhere, both inside and outside. 3-series styling is more attractive IMO.
14) MMI not quite as quick as iDrive.
15) Vent that crosses the entire dash not very attractive.

The A4 is priced better than the 3-series. It's about 2k less with more equipment. Leather is standard, as well as some safety gear. The lease deals seemed comparable to BMW. Residuals may be slightly lower but I believe you could do up to 10 MSDs when I was shopping. You could get a percentage point on RV if you buy the Audi maintenance package for, I think, $895.
Appreciate 0