F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > B58 spark plug change
European Auto Source (EAS)

11-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
gthanson
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30

Question B58 spark plug change

Hi everyone

I've own a 2016 340i xdrive that just reached 90,000km. The agreement I had with my dealership for free servicing apparently expired at 80,000km, a fact I discovered when they contacted me to inform me the car was due for about $1500 worth of "required maintenence". Needless to say I wasn't pleased, and decided out of spite to do all the work myself, even if I spent just as much doing it myself. I figured I'd learn something at least.

The oil change was easy, as was the brake fluid flush (there's a really good youtube video on that here: https://youtu.be/mbK6zB2yglM), the tire alignment I got done at a local shop, and I think the "AC/heating system refresh" is probably BS, or at least not critical to the vehicle operation.

What I am hung up on is the spark plug change. I don't know what's in there now, but all the research I've done online suggested I swap them out for these: https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...lug/941022_0_0. I've got a special thin-walled 14mm 12-point socket online, and I'm ready to go, but I just wanted to verify a couple things really quick before I move forward:
  • Reading up on spark plugs I keep coming across something called gap, which I think is the distance between the two terminals on the end of the plug? Do I need to set the gap on the new ones, or would they just be a straight swap out for the old ones?
  • What are the consequences of me screwing this up, gap or otherwise? Do I get an error message/check engine light, or does the engine blow up?
  • Any other advice? I've never attempted this in any vehicle before.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Buy Bosch/OE plugs. On these the gap is pre-set. Part no 12120040551

Buy a torque wrench and use a can of air to blow the wells clean prior to pulling the existing plugs. You'll also need the appropriate extension and wobble adapter to reach the back plug.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0