F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 4 Series F36 Stereo Speaker System - UK
European Auto Source (EAS)

06-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d F36 Gran Coupe

Thumbs up BMW 4 Series F36 Stereo Speaker System - UK

Hi all. I'm UK based and have a F36 (Gran Coupe) 2018 and after a fair bit of research I've found some brilliant information on this forum but not UK models related.

To cut a long story short, I have a base Stereo system (4 door speakers, 2 under seat woofers, no tweeters, no amp) and I am in the market to upgrade to a semi decent system with an amp. I have the NBT HU thankfully.

I see there is a harness that can be bought in the US that allows you to connect an amp but unfortunately you can't get it in the UK anywhere. I called a reputable audio business here asking why it's not available and they said you don't need it and can simply do this by tapping into the existing wiring minimally and adding a pre-amp after which you can have any amp setup you want. His words "the harness is just for the sake of non-technical users".

I am inclined to believe there is no need for the harness on that basis however I need to do a hell of a lot more research before I tap into any wiring. I would be nice not to have to take apart my dash.

Other jobs that I'd like to do include:

- Installing the drivers side storage box which means physically cutting open the dash

- Possibly looking to get the center dash speaker cut through as I believe BMW include the base for a mid and tweeter in there already

- Install my Blackvue dash cams front and rear with the Power Magic Pro switch for parking mode

I will be ordering all the relevant gear in the next couple of weeks and want to do a full tutorial and write up on this thread in the hope it will help others especially in the UK! The support you guys have in the US is great from the looks of it, shame not so great here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Billfitz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

This may help:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1475424
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Thanks mate, I think I might try tapping into the BMW wires myself instead of the harness route as I think it's too expensive.

I took apart a bit if my dash today to check behind the storage compartment area and maken sure nothing was there and took the drivers seat up to check what my subwoofer connection is like and the size of the woofer. Seems to be the standard 8" driver and a 4 pin plug.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep

Bought the drivers side storage compartment. Time to template it up and get an imprint in the car to cut out. Need to get the old Dremel out and some sharp cutting tools

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
upsidedownfunnel
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I used to install aftermarket stereos in my cars and was not afraid of tapping and/or soldering in wires to my car wiring. However, I still like harnesses because it allows you to revert back very easily and it will avoid tapping the wrong wires. Tapping wires in confined spaces can also be back breaking work.

I suppose it depends on how much the harness cost. If it's over $100, I'd probably just do it myself. If it's under $100, I'd prefer to just use a harness and not tap wires in my new BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I used to install aftermarket stereos in my cars and was not afraid of tapping and/or soldering in wires to my car wiring. However, I still like harnesses because it allows you to revert back very easily and it will avoid tapping the wrong wires. Tapping wires in confined spaces can also be back breaking work.

I suppose it depends on how much the harness cost. If it's over $100, I'd probably just do it myself. If it's under $100, I'd prefer to just use a harness and not tap wires in my new BMW.
Yes I agree with what you're saying, I just the pricing silly for what it is. I've done some further reading today and it looks like some F30/ F31 owners have upgraded their subs and done some light coding on their NBT systems which brought the overall system to life. Something about having 4 types of Var settings in audio.

I know nothing about coding just yet so I'll have to do some research but feels like I won't need an amp after all.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep

Just throwing this question out there. Does anybody know how to connect tweeters up in a base audio system which has no tweeters currently? I know HK and HIFI owners have a wire going from the mid in the front doors to the tweeter but I'm concerned I don't have this in mine, again because it's a base audio system.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Billfitz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

They would be wired parallel to the midranges, with a high pass filter in line with them to protect them from low frequencies. You simply tap the wires to the midranges. I put a pair of these in my rear doors:
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO19T-Pr...s%2C189&sr=8-3

They come with high pass filters and various mounting brackets. You could easily add them to the stock mounting position on the doors. An identical version is sold as the Infinity REF-275tx.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
They would be wired parallel to the midranges, with a high pass filter in line with them to protect them from low frequencies. You simply tap the wires to the midranges. I put a pair of these in my rear doors:
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO19T-Pr...s%2C189&sr=8-3

They come with high pass filters and various mounting brackets. You could easily add them to the stock mounting position on the doors. An identical version is sold as the Infinity REF-275tx.
Thanks mate, really appreciate the reply. I need to get back up to speed with my audio tech knowledge. I did up my Vauxhall Corsa years back and knew everything under the sun about speaker systems but nothing since.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep

Decided to invest in some Rockford Fossgates to replace my subs, front mids and add a couple of tweeters to my current base audio system.

I'm going to invest in a pre-amp and a 4 channel amp however I need some guidance on wiring as I can't find any threads that make this detail clear.

Can anyone confirm the below please?

Additionally, can anyone confirm the wiring colour scheme in the 4?
Attached Images

Last edited by parmar88; 06-15-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0