F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Discount Tire scratched my rim - what would you do?
ARMA SPEED

12-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Discount Tire scratched my rim - what would you do?

Before I took my car in to Discount Tire to get one new tire put on, I knew that they'd scratch my rim. Why, you ask? Because their staff consists of highschoolers. Not blaming them - I was a complete idiot at that age and shit happens. People on here rave about Discount, and I have had good experiences, but I've also had bad ones (putting directional tires on the wrong direction was latest shit they did wrong for me), and it doesn't matter which location I go to. A good buddy of mine has the same results - they just destroyed the side paneling of his corvette bc they didn't use the proper type of lift.

I digress - I watched them changing the tire and they had a hell of a time fitting tire on rim. Dudes literally jumping on the tire tool w/ all their body weight to the point where I almost took out my phone to record. In the process, I saw the guy make a move w/ the tool, then look over it and lightly brush a spot w/ a rag exactly as if he was examining a scratch he just made. In the moment, I knew what had happened. I closely inspected wheel on the way out, but in the moment couldn't find anything. It wasn't until the next morning when I saw the two hairline scratches they made. Not only that, but they left all the lube or whatever the hell it was smeared all over the rim, and forgot to put my thread protector back over my valve stem.

I won't have time to address it until this saturday - one week after it happened. I do have before photos which show no scratches, but they were taken about 2 weeks prior (had planned to go in that day but didn't). Foolishly didn't take before photos before this trip bc I was short on time - took a video but it's tough to see that spot because it's partially covered by a strap - I think it could be decent evidence though.

On the other hand, perhaps getting this fixed wouldn't even be worth it. Work is killing me right now, it's just a wheel and in the scheme of things you can hardly see it standing next to the car. This may require me taking my car into a shop and spending a good chunk of a day there, not to mention spending my saturday at discount pleading my case. Maybe I'm just OCD and should just drop it? The wheel in question already has a small 1 inch curb rash on the edge, so it wasn't perfect to begin with..

I have attached photos of the two scratches, each on a different spoke. Note all the shit they left smeared over my wheel.

My questions for you all:
  • What would you do in this situation? Ignore vs take action?
  • Does anyone here have experience dealing with Discount Tire over issues like this? Do they typically demand evidence?
  • What would a wheel repair guy need to do to fix this, plus a small curb rash on the edge? Does the entire wheel need to be refinished w/ clearcoat? (m sport rims, 19 inch). Rough cost out of pocket?

Attached Images

Last edited by GrabEmByTheBimmer; 12-06-2018 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Exact same thing happened to me, I immediately brought it to the managers attention and he gave me $100 bucks per wheel damaged and directed me to a local guy that could repair for the same amount of money.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabEmByTheBimmer View Post
Before I took my car in to Discount Tire to get one new tire put on, I knew that they'd scratch my rim. Why, you ask? Because their staff consists of highschoolers. Not blaming them - I was a complete idiot at that age and shit happens. People on here rave about Discount, and I have had good experiences, but I've also had bad ones (putting directional tires on the wrong direction was latest shit they did wrong for me), and it doesn't matter which location I go to. A good buddy of mine has the same results - they just destroyed the side paneling of his corvette bc they didn't use the proper type of lift.

I digress - I watched them changing the tire and they had a hell of a time fitting tire on rim. Dudes literally jumping on the tire tool w/ all their body weight to the point where I almost took out my phone to record. In the process, I saw the guy make a move w/ the tool, then look over it and lightly brush a spot w/ a rag exactly as if he was examining a scratch he just made. In the moment, I knew what had happened. I closely inspected wheel on the way out, but in the moment couldn't find anything. It wasn't until the next morning when I saw the two hairline scratches they made. Not only that, but they left all the lube or whatever the hell it was smeared all over the rim, and forgot to put my thread protector back over my valve stem.

I won't have time to address it until this saturday - one week after it happened. I do have before photos which show no scratches, but they were taken about 2 weeks prior (had planned to go in that day but didn't). Foolishly didn't take before photos before this trip bc I was short on time - took a video but it's tough to see that spot because it's partially covered by a strap - I think it could be decent evidence though.

On the other hand, perhaps getting this fixed wouldn't even be worth it. Work is killing me right now, it's just a wheel and in the scheme of things you can hardly see it standing next to the car. This may require me taking my car into a shop and spending a good chunk of a day there, not to mention spending my saturday at discount pleading my case. Maybe I'm just OCD and should just drop it? The wheel in question already has a small 1 inch curb rash on the edge, so it wasn't perfect to begin with..

I have attached photos of the two scratches, each on a different spoke. Note all the shit they left smeared over my wheel.

My questions for you all:
  • What would you do in this situation? Ignore vs take action?
  • Does anyone here have experience dealing with Discount Tire over issues like this? Do they typically demand evidence?
  • What would a wheel repair guy need to do to fix this, plus a small curb rash on the edge? Does the entire wheel need to be refinished w/ clearcoat? (m sport rims, 19 inch). Rough cost out of pocket?
If the rims were mint prior I’d go nuclear.

Unfortunately, the scratch appears to be one of the smallest issue on those wheels.

Not saying it right...but it’s not like they ruined a perfect wheel.

That makes it hard to say definitively.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

They damaged my old Honda wheels and I haven't trusted them since. My bmw only goes to reputable Indy shop for intall
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Wow! I recently had Discount Tire change out all the defective tpms sensors I got from Tire Rack. My wheels are fine. Whoever did yours didn’t care about their job.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      12-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Thx everyone. I went to discount and the manager was very sympathetic and offered to order me a loner wheel while they send mine off to (official) BMW for the wheel to be refinished - should take about a day.

My only concern is if I get the wheel back worse - aka in a color that doesn't exactly match the rest of the set. I've heard stories on here of people not being able to color match m-sport rims when refinishing - due to the manufacturing process of the original wheel, etc. Some people just replaced their wheels.

Can anyone expound on this? Would you be worried about a color mismatch or no? Part of me thinks I should just drop the issue, accept the scratches and not risk getting it refinished, but I'd like to know others' experiences in this area.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

You should be fine, it's easy to refinish wheels to color match, what isn't easy is how long it will last. I suggest wheel wax or coating to protect it but honestly your wheels look pretty beat up before hand too
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0