F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What is the BEST cabin filter?
proTUNING Freaks

03-03-2024, 08:29 PM   #23
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBMW73 View Post
So are you saying the OEM filter is better than any of the aftermarket options at eliminating any odors? What is a "comparable" option? That's more what I was hoping to get answered when I posted this question.

I'm not concerned about replacing the filter a year from now through a replacement program; I'm looking for the best option that might improve the existing odor situation, which may (or may not) be something other than OEM.
The cabin air filter doesn't eliminate odors per se. It can however contribute to the presence of unpleasant odors if enough particles are trapped in the filter (which is of course filter's primary purpose). Frequent replacement, even after winter and summer seasons, is recommended. The filter is not expensive.

Odors need to be addressed at the source by cleaning surfaces, carpets, mats.
Appreciate 2
Moupe331.50
      03-03-2024, 08:53 PM   #24
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Odors need to be addressed at the source by cleaning surfaces, carpets, mats.
Correct, and as I stated in my original post, "I've cleaned everything in the interior and it still remains." To elaborate on that statement, that involved thoroughly cleaning the dash and all hard surfaces, the leather upholstery (front and back), armrest, etc. I replaced the mats with new ones. I spread baking soda on the carpeting and left it for a day before vacuuming it up. None of these made a difference in the lingering odor. So I am still trying to identify the source.

Therefore, my next thought was that maybe the dealer sprayed some kind of deodorizer or fragrance into the HVAC system. Hence my original question.

I've decided to try a cabin filter that claims "fights and prevents odors." It's not OEM, but potentially could be better than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 09:37 AM   #25
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Correct, and as I stated in my original post, "I've cleaned everything in the interior and it still remains." To elaborate on that statement, that involved thoroughly cleaning the dash and all hard surfaces, the leather upholstery (front and back), armrest, etc. I replaced the mats with new ones. I spread baking soda on the carpeting and left it for a day before vacuuming it up. None of these made a difference in the lingering odor. So I am still trying to identify the source.

Therefore, my next thought was that maybe the dealer sprayed some kind of deodorizer or fragrance into the HVAC system. Hence my original question.

I've decided to try a cabin filter that claims "fights and prevents odors." It's not OEM, but potentially could be better than OEM.
Thanks for the details. Always appreciated.

When was the cabin filter replaced last?

At this junction, even if you don't have a replacement filter, remove the filter and examine it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:14 AM   #26
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
If you're not going to clean the evaporator coil, try this.
remove the cabin filter. set a/c on high.
spray some lysol into the intake by the windshield and run it through the system for a few minutes. I haven't done this on my bmws but I have done it on my work cars (ford, dodge) to get rid of that musty smell.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2024, 10:51 AM   #27
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I've been using the MANN CUK 25 001 cabin filter every 30k miles. Works very well and would recommend.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/NA/e...CUK%2025%20001
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:58 AM   #28
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
When was the cabin filter replaced last?
Don't know to be honest. Not sure if the dealer replaced it when they acquired the car. Either way, I am going to start with a fresh one.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:53 AM   #29
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

the cabin filter, filters incoming air from the outside prior to the HVAC system. i don't recall seeing ducts guiding recirculated cabin air to it, however if i am mistaken it's probably a limited amount of recirc'd air passing through it.

in other words, if the smell is stuck in the HVAC system, the cabin filter is NOT filtering that smelly air, or filtering only a limited amount it.

chowsers advice in post#26 makes the most sense to rectify the problem.
Appreciate 1
MtBMW7336.00
      03-04-2024, 01:17 PM   #30
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
ozone should not be used for smells, it’s both dangerous to your health and it accelerates degradation of rubber and any other soft plastic in the car. idk why so many people are recommending it, literally fuck your lungs up from a tiny amount of it over a fruity smell seems dumb as fuck to me.
You don't breath it, it's a tool to remove odors that won't go away. Particulates like smoke are super small, and don't remove easily (they penetrate the pores of materials).

And, it's not that you are leaving an ozone machine in your car for years! One time treatment to remove odors that you want gone.

You do know the smell a laser printer/photocopier has is ozone, right? Smell of fresh rain -- ozone.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 05:08 PM   #31
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
the cabin filter, filters incoming air from the outside prior to the HVAC system. i don't recall seeing ducts guiding recirculated cabin air to it, however if i am mistaken it's probably a limited amount of recirc'd air passing through it.

in other words, if the smell is stuck in the HVAC system, the cabin filter is NOT filtering that smelly air, or filtering only a limited amount it.

chowsers advice in post#26 makes the most sense to rectify the problem.
I think based on the diagram/info someone posted in the thread about where the fresh and recirc intakes are located the cabin filter on the BMWs actually does filter the recirc air specifically as a part of its design. Different than most other cars though for sure. But with other posts above yeah, the filter's job isnt odor removal persay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
spray some lysol into the intake by the windshield and run it through the system for a few minutes. I haven't done this on my bmws but I have done it on my work cars (ford, dodge) to get rid of that musty smell.
I've done this but i would use BG-Frigifresh not lysol. You can get it on amazon. Its made specifically for this purposes and it worked extremely well on my 1991 3000gt which is before they had cabin air filters in vehicles at all!

Quote:

Ive used this one before and its the main once i have seen as advertised specifically for odors.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...119237555-blue
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2024, 05:11 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Found the post with the BMW info about filtering recirc air: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 05:08 AM   #33
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I mean the OP said it was something that happened after they detailed it, right?

The lingering smell would be in the interior somewhere, except he says he's cleaned it thoroughly. 🤷🏻

Wouldn't it be funny if it's some sort of deodorizer they sprayed on the filter that you keep smelling? 😁

...I can't believe this thread has gone on this long TBH... 🤣😂
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      03-16-2024, 01:08 PM   #34
drhome
Poland
Rep

Try Bosch, you should find something by the given spare part. no. Doesn't need to be with a BMW logo. It's the same manufacturer just a cheaper version.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 01:44 PM   #35
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

The blue Corteco / Freudenberg one seems like the best.

Has charcoal as well as a biological filter.
Appreciate 1
MtBMW7336.00
      03-20-2024, 08:09 AM   #36
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHill View Post
Hey there! Have you considered trying an ozone treatment? It's known to eliminate even the toughest odors and could tackle that lingering smell in your car. Good luck!
I did strongly consider trying ozone, but after some research have decided against it. There is a lot of conflicting information out there on this topic... Some say it is an effective way to eliminate odors, while others say it degrades plastic and rubber and should never be used inside a car.

I imagine a short burst of ozone might not have much of a negative impact, but I intend to keep this car for a long time so would rather not chance it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:54 PM   #37
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Trying to eliminate a lingering smell in my car. I've cleaned everything in the interior and it still remains.

It is not moldy, musty or an otherwise dirty odor, but rather the result of whatever the dealer used to detail the car before I bought it in December. It's not how a BMW should smell. At this point I am thinking it may be coming from the HVAC system. So my next step is to replace the cabin filter.

I see there are many options available on the market, with various claims of HEPA, activated charcoal, baking soda, "odor defense," etc.

So what is the absolute best cabin filter available? Money is no object.
You need to clean the evap coil.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 05:08 AM   #38
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
You need to clean the evap coil.
Would that be the case if the odor is present all the time? Seems to me if the evaporator coil was the culprit, it would only smell when the HVAC was running.

I did replace the cabin filter, which hasn't made much of a difference. Maybe it just takes time for the odor to dissipate on its own.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 06:21 AM   #39
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Would that be the case if the odor is present all the time? Seems to me if the evaporator coil was the culprit, it would only smell when the HVAC was running.

I did replace the cabin filter, which hasn't made much of a difference. Maybe it just takes time for the odor to dissipate on its own.
evap coil is known to trap certain dirt and worst some disgusting particles. however there is no way to access the evap coil unless the entire dash is disassembled, therefore the only solution is using the evap spray can cleaner.

however when you search evap cleaner here, you will find some people experience leakage in the AC on top of the radio unit. the fluid then penetrate through the radio unit causing the HD to fail and worst, the whole unit is toast.

so all in all, if you are going to clean using evap cleaner and if you want to take your time, then dissamble your dash to take out the head unit, then do the spray. then wait until you are sure no more leak, then put the head unit back.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 08:52 AM   #40
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The AC is running all the time pulling humidity out of the air. 99% of the time a dirty evap coil is responsible for smells. A carbon infused filter (ex Genuine BMW) may help temporarily remove odors but it won't remove the source.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 07:57 PM   #41
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
The AC is running all the time pulling humidity out of the air. 99% of the time a dirty evap coil is responsible for smells. A carbon infused filter (ex Genuine BMW) may help temporarily remove odors but it won't remove the source.
Are you saying the AC is running if you have the AC off..?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:28 PM   #42
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:

It most likely won't. 99% of the air is being pulled fresh from in front of the windshield, through the filter, and out vents near the rear seats.

Only recirculate would run the cabin air through the filter, but that gets automatically turned off by the HVAC after a while so you don't die of CO poisoning.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:09 PM   #43
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Where is the intake near the windshield, exactly? I'd like to try something similar at next filter change.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:29 PM   #44
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Are you saying the AC is running if you have the AC off..?
Not if you've pushed the button to turn it off but the default state is ON.

Appreciate 0