F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Does my car look off balanced due to new coilovers? (Is that even possible?)
Studio RSR

01-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
simplyeric
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 2018 330i

Does my car look off balanced due to new coilovers? (Is that even possible?)

Just took a pic of my car and it seems a tad bit off centered? Don't want to overthink this as I got the stock M sport chassis replaced with KW coilovers from a reputable shop.

I am going to double check when I get on some even roads tomorrow.

But while on the topic, was wondering if it's possible to have improper car balance due to suspension or possibly tires? Tires are brand new Michelins.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyeric View Post
Just took a pic of my car and it seems a tad bit off centered? Don't want to overthink this as I got the stock M sport chassis replaced with KW coilovers from a reputable shop.

But while on the topic, was wondering if it's possible to have improper car balance due to suspension or possibly tires? Tires are brand new Michelins.
KWs are excellent. Did the shop do a full alignment after installation or tell you to come back in a couple weeks after new suspension has settled?

Drive it for a couple of weeks to let it settle. Make fine tuning height adjustments at each corner. Then get an alignment. Make sure that they adjust headlight height too.

It helps to take baseline measurements on suspension corners before making changes. Measure from center of BMW logo on wheel straight up to bottom of fender lip. Measure this way to do your suspension height adjustments.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:11 PM   #3
simplyeric
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 2018 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

KWs are excellent. Did the shop do a full alignment after installation or tell you to come back in a couple weeks after new suspension has settled?

Drive it for a couple of weeks to let it settle. Make fine tuning height adjustments at each corner. Then get an alignment. Make sure that they adjust headlight height too.

It helps to take baseline measurements on suspension corners before making changes. Measure from center of BMW logo on wheel straight up to bottom of fender lip. Measure this way to do your suspension height adjustments.

Hope this helps!
Wow thank you for the detailed response.

They did not do an alignment because they said the same thing after you, it will take about two weeks for everything to break in/settle.

Will be going back in two weeks to do any fine adjustments, or if I want it lowered, to lower it.

They told me that they did all the marks correctly and won't need an alignment until the break in period is finished.

Three questions:

1. Do you recommend getting an alignment after new suspension upgrades? I had an alignment on my previous 19" wheels about four months ago, but now that I downgraded (upgraded) to 18" wheels with new KW's, would you still suggest on getting an alignment?

2. Headlights actually seem better now than they did previously on the 19" wheels. They were angled so bad, but going back to 18", mot even sure I would need them adjusted?

3. You mentioned about fine tuning, would that be an underlying issue in the possible uneven-ness of the car? I will have to go to a flat road tomorrow to really see if it's just the pavement from the spot I took the picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Wow thank you for the detailed response.

They did not do an alignment because they said the same thing after you, it will take about two weeks for everything to break in/settle.

Will be going back in two weeks to do any fine adjustments, or if I want it lowered, to lower it.

They told me that they did all the marks correctly and won't need an alignment until the break in period is finished.

Three questions:

1. Do you recommend getting an alignment after new suspension upgrades? I had an alignment on my previous 19" wheels about four months ago, but now that I downgraded (upgraded) to 18" wheels with new KW's, would you still suggest on getting an alignment?

2. Headlights actually seem better now than they did previously on the 19" wheels. They were angled so bad, but going back to 18", mot even sure I would need them adjusted?

3. You mentioned about fine tuning, would that be an underlying issue in the possible uneven-ness of the car? I will have to go to a flat road tomorrow to really see if it's just the pavement from the spot I took the picture.
Yes, important to get an alignment after suspension changes. The downside is too great if something is off, could cause tire wear, handling issues.

Checking headlight alignment is always a part of wheel alignment after suspension changes where I've had work done.

Could be. I've learned from attempting to take very accurate measurements that asphalt is a lot more wavy than I thought. Now I take all measurements on a flat concrete pad.

Have fun driving it!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
I find it much easier to measure with a metal yardstick straight up to fender arcs amd I align it with the crosshairs on the Roundel. Easy and repeatable.

Can’t share results to others unless they have same tires but if you are comparing to your own car after a change with same wheels and tires as before change then no problem.

Before KWs I was 1/4” lower on right rear corner only so when I set the height on them I did it exactly the same. 1/4” lower right rear corner.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #6
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
I find it much easier to measure with a metal yardstick straight up to fender arcs amd I align it with the crosshairs on the Roundel. Easy and repeatable.

Can't share results to others unless they have same tires but if you are comparing to your own car after a change with same wheels and tires as before change then no problem.

Before KWs I was 1/4" lower on right rear corner only so when I set the height on them I did it exactly the same. 1/4" lower right rear corner.
Came in to suggest same thing
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #7
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

While it would be rare for an experienced tech to make the following error, it is possible and you may want to get it checked if other reasons posted do not resolve the issue.

The bottom of a front strut must be inserted into a steering knuckle. Typically a strut will have an alignment pin or nib to ensure proper orientation but also proper depth. The nib/pin may prevent the strut from being inserted too deeply but there is nothing to prevent someone from not inserting it far enough.

For an experienced shop I'd be surprised if that mistake was made but it is a reason why there would be an unbalance.
      02-03-2022, 09:52 PM   #8
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:

Can’t share results to others unless they have same tires
but if you are comparing to your own car after a change with same wheels and tires as before change then no problem.
Can share the results as going to the centre of the wheel removes any changes caused by wheel and tyre size as you are measuring from the hub to the guard. Tyre/wheel size only impacts the measurement if measuring from the ground

My car is 340mm all round from the centre of the wheel to the guard. I'm not sure, maybe someone can pipe in, but i think you want the front measurement to be 5mm higher if you want the car flat due to the way the guards are designed? i.e. i should have the rear at 340mm and front at 345mm for the car to be flat.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 10:55 PM   #9
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
You misread.
I’m not measuring from center of Roundel, but from ground. Using the vertical crosshair to align ruler ensures repeatable results.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 02:51 AM   #10
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
You misread.
I’m not measuring from center of Roundel, but from ground. Using the vertical crosshair to align ruler ensures repeatable results.
Oooooo yer right, get ya, don’t share that :P
Appreciate 0