F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Darn Thrust Arm / Control Arm Bushing - Replaced with Turner Monoball - Oh yesssss!
Studio RSR

09-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #67
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Also, is the steering really as responsive/precise and nearly “instantaneous” as advertised by Turner?
That’s something I’m looking for. “Point and shoot” type steering with immediate turn in and more “feel”
      09-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #68
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Update: I just got off the phone with Turner and they said the thrust arm Monoball upgrade is a no-go for XDrive because the arm is a different part number.
They told me to instead get the KMAC front camber adjustable bushings which will work similarly and also allow negative camber adjustment

Opinions?
      09-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #69
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Thanks.

I’m going to reach out to Turner and see what they say about fitment with XDrive. I’m also working with a very knowledgeable performance shop so might have to see what they say as well about those extra spacers that might be needed for XDrive. I don’t think they’ve installed one on XDrive yet.
You don't need extra spacers, you need two "short spacers" per monoball instead of one short and one long one per arm. If turner can confirm that the monoball + two short spacers gives 80mm in thickness it should fit.

In the pic below the short spacers are the ones 2nd from the outside on both sides (the outer-most part is the lock nut).

Quote:
Also, is the steering really as responsive/precise and nearly “instantaneous” as advertised by Turner?
That’s something I’m looking for. “Point and shoot” type steering with immediate turn in and more “feel”
Yes, the steering is much more precise. My position is that nobody will have the "dead, non-communicative" steering complaints after tension strut monoballs.

Quote:
Update: I just got off the phone with Turner and they said the thrust arm Monoball upgrade is a no-go for XDrive because the arm is a different part number.
They told me to instead get the KMAC front camber adjustable bushings which will work similarly and also allow negative camber adjustment

Opinions?
The arms are different part numbers, but the OE bushings that go into them are very similar.

Dimensions taken from the Meyle site:
xDrive tension strut bushing: 80mm long, 12mm ID, 70mm OD
RWD tension strut bushing: 95mm long, 12mm ID, 70mm OD

From the pictures below you can see that the center of the bushing the bolt goes through extends equal lengths from the larger 70mm cylinder on the xDrive version, but the RWD version has one side longer than the other.

RWD bushing:

xDrive bushing:

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 09-17-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
scostu1623.00
      09-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #70
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Can I get a confirmation that this would achieve similarly to what the Monoball setup would:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-kmac-par...193616-8h~kma/
      09-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #71
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can I get a confirmation that this would achieve similarly to what the Monoball setup would:

That's the bushing for the lower/rear control arm/wishbone. It's not the same arm and won't increase the steering response or feel nearly as much as the tension strut monoball. The KMAC xdrive tension strut monoball is 193916-7J.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #72
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
That's the bushing for the lower/rear control arm/wishbone. It's not the same arm and won't increase the steering response or feel nearly as much as the tension strut monoball. The KMAC xdrive tension strut monoball is 193916-7J.
Awesome. Thank you. Do you know if this allows for negative camber to be dialed in?
      09-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #73
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
Awesome. Thank you. Do you know if this allows for negative camber to be dialed in?
The tension strut monoball can only do caster. If you want camber adjustment, you need to get a LCA bushing but that won't change steering feel as drastically as the tension strut bushing.
      09-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #74
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
The tension strut monoball can only do caster. If you want camber adjustment, you need to get a LCA bushing but that won't change steering feel as drastically as the tension strut bushing.
Can I get camber plates to go with the KMAC Monoball?
      09-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #75
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It sounds to me like you may want to spend some time looking at the front axle diagrams on RealOEM to get familiarized with the suspension components and where they are. I think you may be confusing yourself by not knowing how they go together and which component affects what (like camber and caster).

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #76
andino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You could. That's what I run as well. I would echo Farkie's suggestion to check out some diagrams to get familiar with how these pieces will fit together and also to learn the different names for parts.
      09-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #77
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
You could. That's what I run as well. I would echo Farkie's suggestion to check out some diagrams to get familiar with how these pieces will fit together and also to learn the different names for parts.
You mean for me personally? As far as install goes, I’ll have a performance shop install everything.
      09-19-2019, 12:41 AM   #78
andino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You mean for me personally? As far as install goes, I’ll have a performance shop install everything.
Even if someone else is doing the work, it'll be useful info to know when you're setting up your suspension and figuring out specs and what range of adjustments you want.
      09-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #79
SoCalCarGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440ix cpe + 2018 x4 m40i

Quote:
I would strongly suggest you reconsider the bushings with your h&r springs. I made it about a mile before my front axle broke with that setup. It creates too much intolerance in the axle seating. Cost over 1500 to fix car after this happened.

if you want more camber, I would do camber plates only or you're playing with fire on the xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #80
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCarGuy View Post
I would strongly suggest you reconsider the bushings with your h&r springs. I made it about a mile before my front axle broke with that setup. It creates too much intolerance in the axle seating. Cost over 1500 to fix car after this happened.

if you want more camber, I would do camber plates only or you're playing with fire on the xdrive.
He's talking about the KMAC tension strut monoball, which affects the caster, not the wishbone/LCA camber bushing.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #81
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My thoughts on the Meyle HD tension struts are up, if anyone is interested.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      09-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #82
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCarGuy View Post

For what it’s worth, I have full H&R Street Performance coilover set, not just springs.
      11-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #83
NimbusGarage
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

@OP Have you noticed any slight “thud” sounds since you’ve install the Turner tension arms?

I installed mine for about 500 miles now and from the beginning it’s always had a slight “thud” sound when going over road imperfections. Sounds kind of like a ball joint going bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #84
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbusGarage View Post
@OP Have you noticed any slight “thud” sounds since you’ve install the Turner tension arms?

I installed mine for about 500 miles now and from the beginning it’s always had a slight “thud” sound when going over road imperfections. Sounds kind of like a ball joint going bad.
I've noticed that with monoballs before. They don't have any shock dampening properties so the impulses from impacts get transferred to the subframe more.

Either that or the shop didn't tighten the bolts fully to 100Nm/75ft-lbs (I've seen that too).

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:30 AM   #85
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
I've noticed that with monoballs before. They don't have any shock dampening properties so the impulses from impacts get transferred to the subframe more.

Either that or the shop didn't tighten the bolts fully to 100Nm/75ft-lbs (I've seen that too).
That would make sense about the impacts being transferred to the subframe more... I haven’t had a chance to ride in the passenger side yet so I can only say it’s coming from the driver side.

I did the installer myself and torqued the bushings @ 75ft-lb and the ball joints @ 125ft-lb

I really like the steering feel of the tension arms but that thud sounds drives me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #86
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

NimbusGarage - thanks for asking. Yes, that's the downside of the monoball. The marketing claims very low NVH, which is partially true. On a fairly good stretch of freeway, it's like stock. But on a bad patch of road, it's like BANG, BANG, BANG. So the compromise is that feedback. Get turn-in that is crisper and just way better in feel, or get that comfort thing, but deal also with really vague-feedback.

My past cars were a Miata, E36 M3, and Subaru BRZ. That rough BANG on bad roads was pretty prevalent on those cars so the transition for me wasn't too dramatic.

But back to your question - it's the monoball, not your install job.

If it helps, all the complaints about the M4 ride quality being harsh. Take a look at the component. It's a monoball also.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #87
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
NimbusGarage - thanks for asking. Yes, that's the downside of the monoball. The marketing claims very low NVH, which is partially true. On a fairly good stretch of freeway, it's like stock. But on a bad patch of road, it's like BANG, BANG, BANG. So the compromise is that feedback. Get turn-in that is crisper and just way better in feel, or get that comfort thing, but deal also with really vague-feedback.

My past cars were a Miata, E36 M3, and Subaru BRZ. That rough BANG on bad roads was pretty prevalent on those cars so the transition for me wasn't too dramatic.

But back to your question - it's the monoball, not your install job.

If it helps, all the complaints about the M4 ride quality being harsh. Take a look at the component. It's a monoball also.
ok, thanks for the confirmation, I guess it's just something I have to live with
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #88
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I have been attracted by comments that I've read that if the front suspension is upgraded with monoballs, it would improve steering feel and precision without adding detrimental NVH.

I've got a '15 335i xDrive with Eibach (-06), KoniSA's, H&R Sways and a Weickert Strut Bar. Summer tires are MPS4S in 245/40-18. Street performance without any tracking planned. 37k miles so far.

My head is spinning from reading threads, retailer websites and manufacture websites about monoball components.

I understand that there aren't many monoball front suspension products for F3x xDrive. Are there any others in addition to the K-MAC Part# 193916-7J, described as bushing kit for front caster thrust arm? ~$380/pair

I've read this part called by three different names: "upper control arm", "tension strut" and "front control arm". They all seem to refer to BMW Part# 31126854723 & ...24. (BMW OEM ~$132/each) (Lemforder ~$82/each, makes them for BMW)

I understand that the aluminum control arms stretch and bend over time with use. So I assume that it would be best to have monoballs installed into new Lemforder control arms, rather than reuse 5-year old original control arms.

Would you recommend these parts to meet the goals of better steering feel without adding NVH? Are there other suspension components that should be changed at the same time? Would the standard alignment specs be best, or how should the alignment specifications be changed?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0