F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Engine oil leak. need help ASAP
GetBMWParts

06-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Engine oil leak. need help ASAP

First time,i did an oil change on my F30 that has plastic oil tank.

Oil is leaking from where the plastic drain plug is. (Tightened it and leaks again)

I do have to say that i didn't replace the drain plug with a new one.. Is it really necessary that i change the drain plug every oil change and this may be causing the leaking?

This is my first time screwing up oil change after many different cars.. it's my first time handling a plastic oil tank.

Is it possible to reuse the oil after i drain it and replace the drain plug with new?

Please let me know ASAP. i need to take road trip tomorrow.
      06-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post

Oil is leaking from where the plastic drain plug is. (Tightened it and leaks again)

I do have to say that i didn't replace the drain plug with a new one.. Is it really necessary that i change the drain plug every oil change and this may be causing the leaking?

This is my first time screwing up oil change after many different cars.. it's my first time handling a plastic oil tank.

Is it possible to reuse the oil after i drain it and replace the drain plug with new?

You are supposed to replace the plastic drain plug as well as the filter and filter gasket every time you change the oil. Because you re-used the drain plug (it is plastic and cannot be re-used as it will not seal properly) I would play it safe and use new oil as draining and re-using the oil may introduce dirt from your drain pan back into the engine. Play it safe and use new oil to prevent damage to your expensive engine. Cheap insurance for your car. Make sure to follow the correct procedure for changing oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
You are supposed to replace the plastic drain plug as well as the filter and filter gasket every time you change the oil. Because you re-used the drain plug (it is plastic and cannot be re-used as it will not seal properly) I would play it safe and use new oil as draining and re-using the oil may introduce dirt from your drain pan back into the engine. Play it safe and use new oil to prevent damage to your expensive engine. Cheap insurance for your car. Make sure to follow the correct procedure for changing oil.
When i was removing the drain plug at first, it was making loud squeak noise and needed some effort to turn that plug with a wrench.
Also needed some effort to put the plug back on. Is this normal for plastic pan and plug?

The plastic BMW used on pan and plug, are they considered pretty durable? I hope that i didn't strip the thread.
Probably didn't but so much concern at this point. Time is limited.

This oil change was such a mess.
i put the oil filter gasket in the wrong place and oil splashed everywhere over 2 days.
Lost about 4 qts of Castrol. Thanks to BMW for throwing out the Low Engine Oil light after losing 4 qts.

Now i basically have to do another oil change..another 5 qts of Castrol..

First time ever screwing up an oil change all after Camry, Nissan, Inifiniti, Audi and Scion.
      06-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Utvolman99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. I have a 2015 328xi and have a metal pan and plug? I wonder if it's an x drive thing.

To weigh in, I would use new oil. I would be worried what I picked up.
      06-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
When i was removing the drain plug at first, it was making loud squeak noise and needed some effort to turn that plug with a wrench.
Also needed some effort to put the plug back on. Is this normal for plastic pan and plug?

The plastic BMW used on pan and plug, are they considered pretty durable? I hope that i didn't strip the thread.

i put the oil filter gasket in the wrong place and oil splashed everywhere over 2 days.
Lost about 4 qts of Castrol. Thanks to BMW for throwing out the Low Engine Oil light after losing 4 qts.

First time ever screwing up an oil change all after Camry, Nissan, Inifiniti, Audi and Scion.
The cost of the oil is small compared to a new engine. Luckily it was just oil and not anything more. And now you know how to do it for next time. I'm still under free maintenance, but sometimes I think I should do my own oil change as I don't trust the dealer since I had a low oil warning after having it done at the dealer! At least if I DIY I know it's being done properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utvolman99 View Post
Interesting. I have a 2015 328xi and have a metal pan and plug? I wonder if it's an x drive thing.

To weigh in, I would use new oil. I would be worried what I picked up.
RWD has stupid plastic pan -_-
      06-19-2017, 11:51 PM   #7
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The cost of the oil is small compared to a new engine. Luckily it was just oil and not anything more. And now you know how to do it for next time. I'm still under free maintenance, but sometimes I think I should do my own oil change as I don't trust the dealer since I had a low oil warning after having it done at the dealer! At least if I DIY I know it's being done properly.
last oil change, BMW did it.
I decided to do oil change myself this time after 4K miles.
Oil was so dirty and black. Not sure if BMW used cheap oil or what but after 4 K miles how can it be so dirty
      06-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
last oil change, BMW did it.
I decided to do oil change myself this time after 4K miles.
Oil was so dirty and black. Not sure if BMW used cheap oil or what but after 4 K miles how can it be so dirty
Maybe they didn't even change the oil. After I brought my car in, not only did they not put enough oil, they forgot to reset the CBS so I did it myself! I did bring it back to have them fix the problem, but I had already reset the CBS the night before.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #9
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they didn't even change the oil. After I brought my car in, not only did they not put enough oil, they forgot to reset the CBS so I did it myself! I did bring it back to have them fix the problem, but I had already reset the CBS the night before.
Maybe they never changed it thats why yhe drain plug was hard to remove and made loud squeaking noise -_-
      06-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #10
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

You don't say if your car is a diesel or petrol (hint, drives 'bmw' in the profile bit isn't very helpful), but a few hundred miles after an oil change the oil in a diesel engine is pretty black.

I kinda like the irony in how you decided to do the job yourself, because you didn't trust BMW to do it properly, and then ... you didn't do the job properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:06 AM   #11
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
You don't say if your car is a diesel or petrol (hint, drives 'bmw' in the profile bit isn't very helpful), but a few hundred miles after an oil change the oil in a diesel engine is pretty black.

I kinda like the irony in how you decided to do the job yourself, because you didn't trust BMW to do it properly, and then ... you didn't do the job properly.
Petrol.
Bmw did it for free oil change.
      06-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
F30RiK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' 335 xdrive M-sport 6 Speed

Quote:

I think you should do your oil change at the dealer lol
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #13
Funkier
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 316i + F54 Cooper

Hi there,

I drive a MY2012 F30 with N13 engine (1.6L 100kW).

Yesterday my car throw its second "Low coolant" warning after the full replacement of cooling housing and piping ~2 years ago. I drove to the dealership for maintenance. They informed me that, there were various locations were the coolant leaked and also they observed various locations of oil leak.

This car was serviced ~4500km's ago and is only 90k Km now. They say, they need to change oil pump, oil filter housing, oil pipes and etc. Of course they deny to cover it because the car is 5 years old.

Can you please share any specific or known issues on this regard (not necessarily the N13 engine). I would like to learn if BMW HQ has published a recall on any of the contents failed in my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #14
giovani.arroyo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Quote:
Petrol.
Bmw did it for free oil change.
So what did you end up having to do? Was the oil pan stripped?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #15
Juan Verduzco
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Sport

Same question here.
Having kind of the same issue
Appreciate 0