F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
Studio RSR

05-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #45
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Just finished installing and very happy so far.
Sound is identical to factory (hk) and its more responsive then the avin.
Booting was 32secs.
Will test and write more tomorrow, bedtime now
@supernova66: about the mic: I also got google to talk back but I noticed the screen wasnt filling-in text. I was my phone via Bluetooth that was responding!!
Speech input will not work this way...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:50 PM   #46
vanillahunter
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Just finished install and playtime

OK, I just finished the install in my car. I did not have to connect the audio aux cable. I found that with my android phone you're able to connect to a total of 2 audio devices at once. So I use the normal stereo for my call audio and I use the new for my media. I was also able to install my GPS antenna under the - and it works just fine...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #47
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320D MY2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lguodon View Post
Can you share a new firmware (Mar 2018 version),thank you!
My link to the firmware file was dead now. Just ask Alice or Louie to send you the new one. They are responsiveness.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 11:20 PM   #48
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
Just finished installing and very happy so far.
Sound is identical to factory (hk) and its more responsive then the avin.
Booting was 32secs.
Will test and write more tomorrow, bedtime now
@supernova66: about the mic: I also got google to talk back but I noticed the screen wasnt filling-in text. I was my phone via Bluetooth that was responding!!
Speech input will not work this way...
Could you please test it by disable your mobile phone bluetooth first and then try to use the voice command? Mine is the same. If I long press speech recognition button when I connect my iPhone to original NBT via bluetooth, it's my phone that respond to the button, not the android unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:54 AM   #49
MrChang
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport MG 2014

First time I tried it in the traffic and it seems to work good with the waze navigation. I also tested spotify app with good results.

Can I disable the rear camera function when I put it reverse? I dont have a camera so thats why.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:42 AM   #50
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillahunter View Post
OK, I just finished the install in my car. I did not have to connect the audio aux cable.
Do you have the optical cable? If not, do you have to switch audio source to AUX in hear sound from Android side?

I don't need to install audio aux cable to armrest either, but need to switch audio source to AUX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillahunter View Post
I was also able to install my GPS antenna under the - and it works just fine...
How is the GPS lock in time with antenna under the dash?

I put my antenna under the front window and GPS locks in instantly.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:13 AM   #51
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Ok, did some testing on my way to work this morning.
First findings:
Compared to AVIN, the button layout is different when pushing the steering wheel and idrive buttons.
Boot time is identical in my opinion.
Gps is a different story. Im hoping my GPS splitter is defect since I havent had any lock in 20 minute drive.
I've installed an app to check the GPS signal and its completely crap. satellites that are found have a very weak signal.
My Idrive however does have sattelite position so either the unit is faulty or the splitter is defect.
Audio is very good and comparable to factory.
Video-out is a very big plus for me for a secondary screen but I havent tested it yet.
software is the same although I cant find the button configuration on the Ugode unit?
Mic is used for Bluetooth to the phone: long press on the speech function starts navi on the Ugode but also starts the google speech input of the coupled phone.
Disabling Bluetooth on the phone cancels the function completely.

ps: my foctory code was 2018 instead of 1314. Thanks to this forum I could continue

Last edited by DRuw; 05-31-2018 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 08:23 AM   #52
vanillahunter
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
Do you have the optical cable? If not, do you have to switch audio source to AUX in hear sound from Android side?

I don't need to install audio aux cable to armrest either, but need to switch audio source to AUX.

Found that when I am on Android side, I have to go to Bluetooth and press play when coming back from iDrive side. That is the only issue....which is a non-issue IMO. I also made my phone use the factory bluetooth for calls and the Ugode bluetooth for music....works phenom!

How is the GPS lock in time with antenna under the dash?

I put my antenna under the front window and GPS locks in instantly.
GPS lock is laggy. Maybe a minute or two. Depends if I park in the garage or on the carport. Really no big deal IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #53
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Today the microphone from Alice has arrived. After re-installed, it's working! Now I can use Google voice search and Siri via carplay adapter, very useful. Maybe the microphone that I bought from local store is not compatible with the unit.

Hooray!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:01 AM   #54
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taechit View Post
Today the microphone from Alice has arrived. After re-installed, it's working! Now I can use Google voice search and Siri via carplay adapter, very useful. Maybe the microphone that I bought from local store is not compatible with the unit.

Hooray!
is there anyway to hit the voice command on the steering wheel and have the head unit play a song in your media library (IE ipod) ?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #55
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:

Hooray!
Ok, tell me exactly what you do and what is working...
The voice input normally doesnt work since it is connecting to the bluetooth and you are actually talking to your voice commands on the phone, not the unit.
What is your setup, where did you connect it and what settings did you make?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #56
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ok, tell me exactly what you do and what is working...
The voice input normally doesnt work since it is connecting to the bluetooth and you are actually talking to your voice commands on the phone, not the unit.
What is your setup, where did you connect it and what settings did you make?
For google search - just install the google app from playstore, then run the icon "google voice search"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...quicksearchbox

For Siri - you need Carplay adapter, install the program and connect your iPhone to the adapter. The Siri icon will show up and you can talk with it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...1bc91eaabqM2oD

Every voice command run through the android unit, not the mobile phone. But you can't use the voice button on the steering wheel, just run via the app as I wrote.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #57
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
For google search - just install the google app from playstore, then run the icon "google voice search"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...quicksearchbox

For Siri - you need Carplay adapter, install the program and connect your iPhone to the adapter. The Siri icon will show up and you can talk with it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...1bc91eaabqM2oD

Every voice command run through the android unit, not the mobile phone. But you can't use the voice button on the steering wheel, just run via the app as I wrote.
So you need to select the app before inputting it via voice? thats a bit of a work around right?
And did you connect the microphone with a jack plug into the harness?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #58
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
So you need to select the app before inputting it via voice? thats a bit of a work around right?
And did you connect the microphone with a jack plug into the harness?
Yes, just plug the external mic in the harness

For voice button on the steering wheel, it only open the navigation app. I think this can't be change normally unless you can root this device and try to find some parameter in steering wheel control.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #59
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

That is the only thing with the AVIN, there is a button-assignment menu.
Ive asked Louie about this but he doesnt know.
Im going to see if I can get some pictures since this can help us somewhat.
I know its possible, it the interpretation of a signal...

I am going to open my car up again this evening since my GPS splitter is possibly defective...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #60
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Ok, did some fiddling and it seems the plug going into the unit for the GPS was a bit off. The blue cap is now off and GPS is fine now (will test tomorrow to be sure but initial testing is 13 satellites of which 12 were used for lock within my garage).
With the app, also voice input works (not via the steering wheel but pressing the microphone button at the text input field).
The thing got me scared a couple of times though.
When I turn off my car and within a short amount of time, the android part said "No Signal". Idrive worked but nothing from the droid part.
After disconnecting and reconnecting some cables and waiting for some minutes, it worked, didnt work and worked again...
No idea what it was but I have put everything back together and it remained working.
Sound is 99% identical to factory DAB (used an internet audio stream for test).
My own DAB usb module doesnt work yet.
It is recognised and the app is installed but my antenna connection is not working, or at least the scanning gives an error after its cycle.
I expected to work a bit but it seems its all or nothing.
I need to wait for my cable to arrive to split my DAB signal from factory.
The last issue that seems to be solved is that I heard a buzzing/cracking sound today which sounded like a harddrive booting and buzzing (quite loud!).
I think there was a power cable too close to my center dash speaker which caused the interference.
sliding the bmw unit out and in solved that unintentionally.

Ok, I also found some dislikes to be honest.
- Browsing sucks. even on my home network with an access point in my garage the speed is beyond crap...
- there seems to be a small portion of the bottom of the screen not showing in some apps. Some google things but also the bottom of a dropbox page where I needed to download didnt show the bottom... where I needed to click for the download.
- small one: there are no demo movieclips or audio files to test with...

Newly found good-to-knows:
- pressing the screen while in Idrive screen returns instantly to android side.
- install a Wifi priority app so your home network is selected before your phone hotspot
- the cheap Wifi OBDII unit works with torque: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2017-...29c34c4dMYXmoL

Last edited by DRuw; 05-31-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:40 PM   #61
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I also found some dislikes to be honest.
- Browsing sucks. even on my home network with an access point in my garage the speed is beyond crap...
- there seems to be a small portion of the bottom of the screen not showing in some apps. Some google things but also the bottom of a dropbox page where I needed to download didnt show the bottom... where I needed to click for the download.
- small one: there are no demo movieclips or audio files to test with...

Newly found good-to-knows:
- pressing the screen while in Idrive screen returns instantly to android side.
- install a Wifi priority app so your home network is selected before your phone hotspot
- the cheap Wifi OBDII unit works with torque: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2017-...29c34c4dMYXmoL
Mine came with Fast&Furious demo clip and 3 demo chinese songs.
For screen rotation, I didn't have any problem. Maybe you can try to fix the rotation to Landscape, not automatic, it might help.

For OBDII, it is not working at all with my ELM327 Bluetooth. Maybe I need to buy the Wifi one if you report that it's work
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:26 PM   #62
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Has anyone tried to use the firmware from this unit onto the AVIN unit? If possible can someone share the ugode firmware so we can try it?
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 02:05 AM   #63
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Mine came with Fast&Furious demo clip and 3 demo chinese songs.
For screen rotation, I didn't have any problem. Maybe you can try to fix the rotation to Landscape, not automatic, it might help.

For OBDII, it is not working at all with my ELM327 Bluetooth. Maybe I need to buy the Wifi one if you report that it's work
No demo stuff at all here..
Its not the screen rotation, its like the ratio is just a bit off and therefore the bottom 5mm is missing.
But its not every app.
OBDII doesnt work with BT, its WIFI only.

Again, this morgning I had no signal from android part.
It looks like the unit doesnt boot when I have the DAB unit plugged in??
Any of you guys got the DAB option and installed it?
Which USB should be used and can anyone post a photo of the USB module?
Ive got one from Ali that should work..

GPS issue had been resolved
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:56 AM   #64
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
Again, this morgning I had no signal from android part.
It looks like the unit doesnt boot when I have the DAB unit plugged in??
Any of you guys got the DAB option and installed it?
Which USB should be used and can anyone post a photo of the USB module?
Ive got one from Ali that should work..
Hi DRuw, I installed the DAB option.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...252271d20O0SHa

I used one of the two USB connectors from the cable that came with the head unit. DAB works. No boot problem so far with DAB connected.

I'm trying to figure out a good place at the front window to install the DAB antenna.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:31 AM   #65
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
Hi DRuw, I installed the DAB option.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...252271d20O0SHa

I used one of the two USB connectors from the cable that came with the head unit. DAB works. No boot problem so far with DAB connected.

I'm trying to figure out a good place at the front window to install the DAB antenna.
Which app did you install for the DAB radio?
Ik believe the unit I got is used for the AVIN as well (https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2017-...1fa44c4dlxbx0K)... for this reason I bought it but maybe I need the Ugode as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:46 AM   #66
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
Has anyone tried to use the firmware from this unit onto the AVIN unit? If possible can someone share the ugode firmware so we can try it?
are you mad ?

Guys just a reminder that if you get into android developer settings (just like on your phone) you can decrese animation transiction speed I think by default its 0.5 you can knock it down to 0 for instant transitions between windows
Appreciate 0