F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The BBQ & Grilling Thread
GetBMWParts

12-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #1123
pennsiveguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I did the same for a friends giving. Did 2 20 lb birds. Brining is key and yes it is much more of a bake. You really don't want to slow cook big birds as I am sure you are aware.
Hard to do an A-B direct comparison of a bird cooked at 225 versus an identical bird done at 300, but from my experience a bird cooked at a lower temp tends to dry out a bit, likely due to the prolonged exposure and the resulting evaporation losses. You also don't get the lovely color like you do when you cook at the hotter temps. Same goes for big birds. I've done a couple of 20-pounders, but that's pushing it. Anything much bigger, and it's hard to get it done without the outside of the breast getting dry. You can foil the breast for part of the cook, but then you end up with uneven color and/or doneness.

Turkeys are honestly the hardest cut I smoke, and the most stressful cook I do all year. I can do briskets in my sleep and get solid-to-stellar results with zero stress. But having a dozen foodies and very accomplished cooks waiting inside while I cook the main dish of a once-a-year meal is way tougher. I haven't blown one yet, thankfully. By my count this was 29th consecutive smoked Thanksgiving turkey.
      12-03-2019, 01:32 AM   #1124
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

mine was 22lbs, I ran it at 275, i brined it, roasted it over a pan filled with carrots, celery, onion, browned turkey neck and tail, and chicken stock, I basted with melted butter and herbs.

I could not have been happier with the results, super juicy, and the gravy I made from that pan was insane.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #1125
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

A few years back we did our back-yard birds, one was 50lbs dressed!!! I think we did about 9 hours at 325.
Because we always (now) inject them with Italian dressing to the point the skin pops up with all the fluid inside, they remain moist even after that long in the heat.

Somehow an extra bird showed up on my doorstep this year, 13lbs IIRC. Black Friday I bought a new electric smoker, set it to 240, and left that in there with a mix of apple/pecan chips, and the bowl full of Cabernet. The breast strips immediately under the skin were a little stringy for about 2mm, but then it was tender and juicy all thru. The only other thing I did after washing it was to put some sage in the 2 cavities.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #1126
pennsiveguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
A few years back we did our back-yard birds, one was 50lbs dressed!!!
Holy balls...you sure that wasn't an ostrich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Somehow an extra bird showed up on my doorstep this year, 13lbs IIRC. Black Friday I bought a new electric smoker, set it to 240, and left that in there with a mix of apple/pecan chips, and the bowl full of Cabernet. The breast strips immediately under the skin were a little stringy for about 2mm, but then it was tender and juicy all thru. The only other thing I did after washing it was to put some sage in the 2 cavities.
Sounds yummy. How was the color? Birds I've done at that temp or lower were a not-so-appealing pale grayish beige.
      12-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #1127
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Holy balls...you sure that wasn't an ostrich?

Heritage breeds get big

Sounds yummy. How was the color? Birds I've done at that temp or lower were a not-so-appealing pale grayish beige.
It was a beautiful tan, with crinkly skin!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #1128
MPOWER5266
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

So with all the college football going on Saturday I planned on smoking a butt. I was going to get up at like 5am Saturday morning, start the egg, and have it ready for dinner during the Clemson game. But Friday night my wife and I attended an engagement party that, ended up at a bar and then a house party, so I woke up Saturday morning at about 9am. We still had people coming over for the game so I made a turbo butt. I ran the Egg at around 350 until the butt hit 210 internal. The bottom burned a little but other than that it was great.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr
Appreciate 3
Torgus2020.50
upstatedoc2992.00