F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Members Classifieds > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons > Beware of what you buy
Extreme Powerhouse

04-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #45
sean2648
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I think you just need to be more careful in who you place your trust in, or how easily - that's all.

- The user barely had any posts, no itrader rating, and no prior transactions to base anything off of. Plenty of poor stories out there about users who are brand new doing poor transactions with forum members.

- He wasn't willing to give you his phone number before a face to face meeting.

- Lesson learned to just always use paypal or a credit card to pay, and if you're gonna be paying cash, get something on the seller to be able to get back into a face to face meeting with them to make things right.

- Inspect anything you buy. I know as a seller for an added courtesy, anytime I have sold someone something in person I open it up, show them the item, take it out of the box (whether brand new or used), make them inspect it - because it is a nice thing to do and prevents these types of problems. But some sellers aren't going to do that so it's up to you to make sure what you are spending your money on works correctly and is in good condition.

- Sometimes when the price is too good to be true, it generally is or it is not worth the headache to save a bit on a part that has a good chance to be faulty when it is used.

Some rough lessons, but glad you have a working jb4 now.

Instagram /// Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #46
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

It's just karma. You low balled the guy and he fried you. Anyways I'm glad that this is over. Just enjoy your JB4.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #47
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

Exactly how is it a lowball price for a used JB4 PWG with no usb cable? You might want to do a bit of searching before suggesting it is karma.

And thanks, I will enjoy the JB4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
It's just karma. You low balled the guy and he fried you. Anyways I'm glad that this is over. Just enjoy your JB4.

Sapphire Black M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #48
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
I've bought and sold stuff for years on Ebay and Craigslist. My wife made a decent living at it for a while. You'd be amazed at how much people spend on pets. Anyway, First rule is to protect yourself - if anything seems sketchy at all, bail. There is a gentleman on this very forum that was trying to sell me a set of wheels. After we texted back and forth for a while, he says he will text pics of the wheels but comes up with excuses. I bailed. No harm done.
In my experience, any sort of sideways motion on the other fella's part is a reason to bail, a red flag.
One example of sideways - they have a certain town listed on a forum as where they live but when contacted from that forum they tell you they live elsewhere - bail. They have an email address listed on a forum but when you try to contact them at that email they "don't use that one anymore" - bail. Any excuse at all is a red flag. Any putting it off ("I'm going on vacation so lets do this next week") - bail. Any changes to the deal is a red flag. Especially being in a rush to "get this deal done" - that's the biggest red flag of all.

This is the internet - for all you know I could be a little green space alien typing this from Elon Musks Roadster as I circle the solar system...
      04-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #49
Evensteven92
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘15 F30 328

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
I've bought and sold stuff for years on Ebay and Craigslist. My wife made a decent living at it for a while. You'd be amazed at how much people spend on pets. Anyway, First rule is to protect yourself - if anything seems sketchy at all, bail. There is a gentleman on this very forum that was trying to sell me a set of wheels. After we texted back and forth for a while, he says he will text pics of the wheels but comes up with excuses. I bailed. No harm done.
In my experience, any sort of sideways motion on the other fella's part is a reason to bail, a red flag.
One example of sideways - they have a certain town listed on a forum as where they live but when contacted from that forum they tell you they live elsewhere - bail. They have an email address listed on a forum but when you try to contact them at that email they "don't use that one anymore" - bail. Any excuse at all is a red flag. Any putting it off ("I'm going on vacation so lets do this next week") - bail. Any changes to the deal is a red flag. Especially being in a rush to "get this deal done" - that's the biggest red flag of all.

This is the internet - for all you know I could be a little green space alien typing this from Elon Musks Roadster as I circle the solar system...
Appreciate 0