F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 M Sport steering wheel retrofit
GetBMWParts

01-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #23
acebrigade
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Nope, it's the same hex bolt.
interesting...on realoem.com it looks like they are different. Oh well, I ordered the connector cable from tischler and threw in an extra $5 for the bolt just to be safe. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #24
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by iastute View Post
Did you also have to get the additional wire for the paddles to work? Eager to know as I will be following your footsteps...

TIA!
My friend helped me run the extra wire from one of the connectors on the steering ring over to FEM_BODY.

After that, you just need to change 205 to 2TB on your FA and VO code FEM_BODY, GWS, ICM, KOMBI, EPS and EGS with E-Sys.

Not sure if we're allowed to post links from other forums here but there's a post with the pinout and instructions. I'll shoot you a PM if you want to have a look.
Hi, can you please PM me the forum to get the padded shift working please? I am doing the same project this weekend.
Appreciate it in advance.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #25
TANG2864
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i Coupe "4DIRTY5"

anyone got a wheel for sale? im trying to retrofit one for my f32
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #26
TANG2864
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i Coupe "4DIRTY5"

For anyone trying to do this:
I just got an airbag from my dealership at around 740$
and on ebay they have plenty of steering wheels ranging from 200(without paddles) - 500 (brand new and such with paddles) i got mine for 300 from romania. everything seems the same except instead of the "set" button it says "lim" i will be installing myself in a few days when airbag comes in, ill let you guys know. my project total is around $1040
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #27
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANG2864
For anyone trying to do this:
I just got an airbag from my dealership at around 740$
and on ebay they have plenty of steering wheels ranging from 200(without paddles) - 500 (brand new and such with paddles) i got mine for 300 from romania. everything seems the same except instead of the "set" button it says "lim" i will be installing myself in a few days when airbag comes in, ill let you guys know. my project total is around $1040
Which dealer did you get it from? I have been sitting on my wheels for a while without finding a reasonable price for the bags. They are around 1050$ here and I don't want to risk a potential life saving item on eBay. Thanks.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #28
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Which dealer did you get it from? I have been sitting on my wheels for a while without finding a reasonable price for the bags. They are around 1050$ here and I don't want to risk a potential life saving item on eBay. Thanks.
I was able to get my local dealer to price match this dealer in California:

http://www.autonationrosevilleparts....mw/32307845798

The link above will not ship airbags at all since they're classified as a hazardous material.

According to my dealer, there are only 8 left in the entire country as spare parts. More will come in eventually, but I'd pick one up ASAP. I'm retrofitting this myself Monday night.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #29
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarScaryFrosty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
I was able to get my local dealer to price match this dealer in California:

http://www.autonationrosevilleparts....mw/32307845798

The link above will not ship airbags at all since they're classified as a hazardous material.

According to my dealer, there are only 8 left in the entire country as spare parts. More will come in eventually, but I'd pick one up ASAP. I'm retrofitting this myself Monday night.
It's a pretty easy job, there is a very detail diy from one of the members. There are couple methods of removing the airbag, I used the shroud removing method which is easier in my opinion.
I will see if I can get my dealer to match price, hopefully they will.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:46 AM   #30
OmarElk
Rep
Drives: E92 335I

Quote:
Here it is !
Hey man I noticed your in toronto are you part of BMWTN? Also Im close to buying a 2013 f30 335i and I want the lci steering wheel but I was wondering is 32307848338 the part number for the steering wheel? I found a good one on ebay and im thinking of buying the air bag from Pffaf BMW in mississauga just to be on the safe side Thanks!!!

Last edited by OmarElk; 04-07-2016 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #31
Rwillis92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N20

Quote:
My friend helped me run the extra wire from one of the connectors on the steering ring over to FEM_BODY.

After that, you just need to change 205 to 2TB on your FA and VO code FEM_BODY, GWS, ICM, KOMBI, EPS and EGS with E-Sys.

Not sure if we're allowed to post links from other forums here but there's a post with the pinout and instructions. I'll shoot you a PM if you want to have a look.

Definitely would like the link. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #32
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
So I replaced my sportline wheel (no paddles) with an M-sport wheel that had paddles. I had previously coded 2TB to my car and VO coded FEM, EGS, ICM and KOMBI so I've had those functionalities for a while. I read on this post and on other posts that if I had FEM BODY 3190 PADDLES_VERBAUT then that means my car was pre-wired for shift paddles.

However, after starting the car, the paddles did not work - I coded the PADDLES_VERBAUT back to nichtaktiv, restarted the car, and re-coded it to aktiv and it still didn't work. Does that mean my car isn't pre-wired and the only reason that folder in FEM BODY exists is because I VO coded 2TB?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:34 AM   #33
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatf30guy
So I replaced my sportline wheel (no paddles) with an M-sport wheel that had paddles. I had previously coded 2TB to my car and VO coded FEM, EGS, ICM and KOMBI so I've had those functionalities for a while. I read on this post and on other posts that if I had FEM BODY 3190 PADDLES_VERBAUT then that means my car was pre-wired for shift paddles.

However, after starting the car, the paddles did not work - I coded the PADDLES_VERBAUT back to nichtaktiv, restarted the car, and re-coded it to aktiv and it still didn't work. Does that mean my car isn't pre-wired and the only reason that folder in FEM BODY exists is because I VO coded 2TB?
I had PADDLES_VERBAUT in the FEM_Body and did not VO code 2TB.
My car was not rewired as confirmed from my retrofit. I thing whoever made that claim just happened to have a prewired car.
I think you need to do the wiring to get it working. Its a pretty fun option.
I left 205 in there but activated sports transmission (no sports+) I don't want to accidentally turn off traction control in traffic.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #34
sboddup2
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d AW

Does anyone know where I can order a pre made connecting wire from? That seems to me like the most confusing part of this DIY. Much appreciated.
      01-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #35
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

M3 wheel with paddles installed

I know this is an older thread but google is wonderful at finding these gems - I found it helpful so thought I’d add my experience. I have a ‘17 non M-Sport F31 that came with the standard ‘Sport’ wheel. I love the look and feel of the heavier M-Sport / M3/4 wheels so purchased a used one from BimmerPost. I also found a US spec M3/4 airbag (legit, dual stage, vent, leather cover) slightly used. Getting the Sport wheel’s airbag off was the most difficult part of the process (I even tried the ‘remove the cowling’ approach but it just didn’t seem to release the bag). The whole thing was plug and play with the M3 wheel except for the paddle shifters...I need to run the signal wire from the passenger well to the wheel’s electrical connector - not a huge deal. The parts are silly expensive from the BMW dealer but cheap from various legit OEM retailers. Check out Kies Motorsports excellent DIY for the M3 paddle shifters install (including part numbers)

Mine was plug and play otherwise for the wheel - no coding required and no Airbag malfunctions or warnings. It’s a great upgrade and well worth the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:19 AM   #36
gordenfarms55
Rep
Drives: BMW 320xi

I know this is old but hoping someone sees this and can tell me a legitamate site to purchase an oem m sport steering wheel for my f30 320xi bmw. Can't find one anywhere that doesn't look like a scam and kind of confused as to why such a big company like bmw doesn't have these steering wheels for sale for all vehicles. My only hope right now is eBay but i'll wait to see if y'all got a good place to get them. I'd even go into the bmw dealer near me to get a new wheel, tired of this boring old base wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 07:01 PM   #37
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordenfarms55 View Post
I know this is old but hoping someone sees this and can tell me a legitamate site to purchase an oem m sport steering wheel for my f30 320xi bmw. Can't find one anywhere that doesn't look like a scam and kind of confused as to why such a big company like bmw doesn't have these steering wheels for sale for all vehicles. My only hope right now is eBay but i'll wait to see if y'all got a good place to get them. I'd even go into the bmw dealer near me to get a new wheel, tired of this boring old base wheel.
bump because I have the same question

its confusing trying to find something like this, the stuff on ebay can't be legit for $900.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 12:36 AM   #38
sshamim
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

I have couple question:

1. My US spec 2016 F30 has the regular sport steering wheel with the paddle shifters. If I get the m-sport steering wheel without the paddle shifters, can I remove the paddle shifters from the regular steering wheel and install on m-sport? If yes, do I need coding?

2. If I buy a 2-stage airbag for the m-sport steering wheel, then do I need to coding?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:13 PM   #39
alexonahurry
Ozzy Dude
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI

Garage List
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scumqKS4u-M
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 11:15 PM   #40
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

1) Technically, the same paddles in the F3x series work across all steering wheels. However, the MSport Steering wheel without paddles will not have the screw holes for mounting. You must create them. You might not have the proper wiring connection either.

You should also be aware that BMW calls for a steering wheel to be replaced when an airbag deploys. That’s why people find them easily on eBay. That might not worry you, but BMW does call for their replacement. What do they know that you don’t 🤷🏼

2) As you are in USA you should already have 2 stage Airbag. Swapping a 2 Stage to 2 Stage Airbag is plug and play.

Many airbags, including most Single Stage Airbags on eBay from EU are either counterfeit or rebuilt. I wouldn’t bet my life on one of those.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 11:19 PM   #41
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
1) Technically, the same paddles in the F3x series work across all steering wheels. However, the MSport Steering wheel without paddles will not have the screw holes for mounting. You must create them. You might not have the proper wiring connection either.

You should also be aware that BMW calls for a steering wheel to be replaced when an airbag deploys. That’s why people find them easily on eBay. That might not worry you, but BMW does call for their replacement. What do they know that you don’t 🤷🏼

2) As you are in USA you should already have 2 stage Airbag. Swapping a 2 Stage to 2 Stage Airbag is plug and play.

Many airbags, including most Single Stage Airbags on eBay from EU are either counterfeit or rebuilt. I wouldn’t bet my life on one of those.
How can you tell if an airbag is a counterfeit or rebuilt? When you plug in the airbag, would the ecu recognize it being counterfeit or rebuilt?
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #42
sherwintrbl
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport, '11 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variante Alta View Post
I know this is an older thread but google is wonderful at finding these gems - I found it helpful so thought I’d add my experience. I have a ‘17 non M-Sport F31 that came with the standard ‘Sport’ wheel. I love the look and feel of the heavier M-Sport / M3/4 wheels so purchased a used one from BimmerPost. I also found a US spec M3/4 airbag (legit, dual stage, vent, leather cover) slightly used. Getting the Sport wheel’s airbag off was the most difficult part of the process (I even tried the ‘remove the cowling’ approach but it just didn’t seem to release the bag). The whole thing was plug and play with the M3 wheel except for the paddle shifters...I need to run the signal wire from the passenger well to the wheel’s electrical connector - not a huge deal. The parts are silly expensive from the BMW dealer but cheap from various legit OEM retailers. Check out Kies Motorsports excellent DIY for the M3 paddle shifters install (including part numbers)

Mine was plug and play otherwise for the wheel - no coding required and no Airbag malfunctions or warnings. It’s a great upgrade and well worth the time.
I know this is an old post but I could use your help right now. I actually have an '18 non M-Sport F31 with the normal sport wheel that I trying to retrofit.

My VIN is WBA8K3C57JA485848

Options to note:
544: Cruise Control With Braking Function
5AG: Lane Change Warning
Servotronic

Looking at my stock wheel, it says SET, not LIM like a lot of the ones for sale on eBay. I found this M-Sport wheel that has the right buttons and its a vibration wheel. Since you also have an LCI F31, would this wheel be the right fit for me? It would simply be plug and play? No wiring needed? I also talked to a dealer that said it's not possible to retrofit LCI cars with servotronic steering, but I think they're wrong. Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15573605468...3ABFBMuPuK1vZi
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 05:58 PM   #43
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwintrbl View Post
I know this is an old post but I could use your help right now. I actually have an '18 non M-Sport F31 with the normal sport wheel that I trying to retrofit.

My VIN is WBA8K3C57JA485848

Options to note:
544: Cruise Control With Braking Function
5AG: Lane Change Warning
Servotronic

Looking at my stock wheel, it says SET, not LIM like a lot of the ones for sale on eBay. I found this M-Sport wheel that has the right buttons and its a vibration wheel. Since you also have an LCI F31, would this wheel be the right fit for me? It would simply be plug and play? No wiring needed? I also talked to a dealer that said it's not possible to retrofit LCI cars with servotronic steering, but I think they're wrong. [...]
Set is for cars with standard Cruise Control

LIM is for cars with Adaptive Cruise Control with the radar unit on the front grill
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 08:45 PM   #44
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Set is for cars with standard Cruise Control

LIM is for cars with Adaptive Cruise Control with the radar unit on the front grill
I'm.afraid I'd have to disagree. LiM is generally found in Europe but works anywhere speed limits are readable with KAFAS or.available through Nav. Pressing LIM makes the car obey the speed limit (thus LIM). It will slow down and speed up based on the system's understanding of the speed limit where you're driving.

If you have an adaptive cruise control equipped car, then you have 2 extra buttons beside the normal cruise buttons. These allow you to increase or decrease the following distance between you and the car ahead. If you have a car with TJA (Traffic Jam Assist) as well, then you have an extra top button which changes the followong distance and an extra bottom button that engages the TJA (it'll have a small steering wheel symbol and lines). Love mine (X5 35d).

Cheers
Appreciate 1
Saito1.50