F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Distorted Driver's Side Mirror
ARMA SPEED

12-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #23
JAJJ8485
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Are you sure the protective film isn’t still on the mirror
LMAO! I wish! Can't believe this is taking so long to figure out!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #24
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Are you sure the protective film isn’t still on the mirror
This would be so classic if this was the case and the SA didn't even notice.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #25
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

my guess is that the glass is hung up somewhere and when you adjust the mirror it's slightly bending hence the "distortion"
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #26
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You can’t really bend glass can you?
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4490.00
      12-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #27
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can’t really bend glass can you?
You can - have you seen the "bent" iPads lately?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iphone-...n-your-pocket/

It's especially believable considering this is a mirror - even the slightest bend would cause a convex or concave reflection and be super noticeable.
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #28
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post

It's especially believable considering this is a mirror - even the slightest bend would cause a convex or concave reflection and be super noticeable.
That’s not glass.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #29
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

That's not glass.
Just one example. I have a colleague with a phone very much bent with no breaks. If it were a mirror it'd be convex as hell.
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #30
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's not glass.
Just one example. I have a colleague with a phone very much bent with no breaks. If it were a mirror it'd be convex as hell.
Clearly you have never tried to bend an actual car mirror nor examined the backing and substructure of the BMW Mirrors in question.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #31
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Clearly you have never tried to bend an actual car mirror nor examined the backing and substructure of the BMW Mirrors in question.
I've installed more BMW mirrors than I can remember. I have several sets of Euro mirrors for various generations of my cars with left hand/right hand wide glass and have swapped them many times... So, you're wrong. You can watch it flex especially if it's binding because it's not seated correctly. Good try though.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:16 PM   #32
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've installed more BMW mirrors than I can remember. I have several sets of Euro mirrors for various generations of my cars with left hand/right hand wide glass and have swapped them many times... So, you're wrong. You can watch it flex especially if it's binding because it's not seated correctly. Good try though.
And I've sold a number of Euro Mirrors in the classifieds and know they break if bent.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #33
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I've sold a number of Euro Mirrors in the classifieds and know they break if bent.
They can. They can also flex some. We're not talking like wrapping it around a soda can... Even a slight bend will result in massive distortion. Again clearly they can't figure it out so it's just conjecture.
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      12-22-2018, 12:39 AM   #34
JAJJ8485
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Got the car back today.

SA called while we were out this evening and only a couple miles from the dealership. He and the field engineer from BMW replaced the motor and still saw the issue. SA said the FE thinks the glass isn't mounting perfectly flush, possibly due to a warp of some sort in the housing, leading to the distortion. He worked on it for a bit and said I'll have to live with it as is.

On the drive home (at night) the distortion wasn't very noticeable and and the auto-dimming was working again, which was a nice surprise. I've got my fingers crossed it isn't too bad during the day.

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit torn by the whole situation. While I still think it's crazy that a mirror could take three visits to and a total of 12 days with the dealer and still not be diagnosed and fixed completely, my SA was fantastic to work with during the entire process, keeping me in the loop with nearly daily text updates and continuously trying to get to the bottom of the issue.

This is our first BMW, having owned only Cadillacs for a while (I still drive a CTS VSport, which I love and have had no issues with in 50K miles). We made the switch because, while my wife wanted something fast and that handled well, the slow and plasticky infotainment in the new Caddies and the poor dealer experience meant she didn't want an ATS. She loves the 335i as a DD and I find reasons to take it over mine as often as possible, so I certainly don't feel sour at all, but still scratching my head over it not being fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 03:15 AM   #35
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If they think it’s the housing then get them to replace it, can’t see why you should have to live with a fault that they acknowledge?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJJ8485 View Post
Got the car back today.

SA called while we were out this evening and only a couple miles from the dealership. He and the field engineer from BMW replaced the motor and still saw the issue. SA said the FE thinks the glass isn't mounting perfectly flush, possibly due to a warp of some sort in the housing, leading to the distortion. He worked on it for a bit and said I'll have to live with it as is.
I simply don't understand it. Seems these guys are not true trouble shooters.

Simple test... take any of the mirror glasses that have been fitted to the car and look through them off the car. Distortion or not? If "Yes" it is obvious, it's a faulty mirror glass. If "No", (and there is distortion in the mirror once fitted in the housing), there has to be a mounting issue.

What time does that take? 5 minutes and they know where the problem is.

What's happened to trouble shooting logic?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #37
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Got the car back today.
And yet, still no pics?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #38
JAJJ8485
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Quote:
Got the car back today.
And yet, still no pics?
The distortion is seen while driving when objects are changing position in the mirror, so not sure how pictures of the static mirror itself would help in this situation.

I could only find one other F30 thread where an owner had the same issue (also with a non-resolution of "live with it"). He took static pics but also stated it was more notable when objects in the mirror were changing position.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #39
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Put a sheet of a4 with grid lines on it, take the pic so that the sheet is visible.

On my car, in the dark the auto dimming was making the mirrors really dark to the point that all I could see where specs of light, if the auto dimming went screwy and activated during the day I’m sure it would look pretty strange.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #40
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They can. They can also flex some. We're not talking like wrapping it around a soda can... Even a slight bend will result in massive distortion. Again clearly they can't figure it out so it's just conjecture.
Yes, the mirrors flex,

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post24147609

Quote:
Got the car back today.

On the drive home (at night) the distortion wasn't very noticeable and and the auto-dimming was working again, which was a nice surprise. I've got my fingers crossed it isn't too bad during the day.

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit torn by the whole situation. While I still think it's crazy that a mirror could take three visits to and a total of 12 days with the dealer and still not be diagnosed and fixed completely, my SA was fantastic to work with during the entire process, keeping me in the loop with nearly daily text updates and continuously trying to get to the bottom of the issue.

This is our first BMW, having owned only Cadillacs for a while (I still drive a CTS VSport, which I love and have had no issues with in 50K miles). We made the switch because, while my wife wanted something fast and that handled well, the slow and plasticky infotainment in the new Caddies and the poor dealer experience meant she didn't want an ATS. She loves the 335i as a DD and I find reasons to take it over mine as often as possible, so I certainly don't feel sour at all, but still scratching my head over it not being fixed.
You never stated if your 2015 is still under warranty or not?

If not, why not?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #41
JAJJ8485
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the mirrors flex,

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post24147609

Quote:
Got the car back today.

You never stated if your 2015 is still under warranty or not?

If not, why not?
Yes, the BMW field engineer confirmed the distortion is the result of a slight flex in the glass caused by one of the contact points (in the corner?) being ~.5mm off plane with the others.

Yes, I'm still under warranty through 12/24/18 (then one year of CPO coverage going forward).

During our conversation yesterday, my SA did mention that, if after driving it for a few days, I decide I'm not satisfied, he would ask BMW to compensate me for not being able to rectify the issue. I wasn't aware manufacturers did this before this experience. Not sure what that compensation amount would be but, considering the above-and-beyond efforts of my SA going to bat for me with BMW during this process, I'm leaning toward letting it be.

I will say, after driving a brand new 230i for a week (basic trim with nearly no options), I appreciate how great a car the 335i is even more now that we have it back. I also came to the conclusion that I can never own a BMW without the MSport pkg!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #42
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the BMW field engineer confirmed the distortion is the result of a slight flex in the glass caused by one of the contact points (in the corner?) being ~.5mm off plane with the others.

Yes, I'm still under warranty through 12/24/18 (then one year of CPO coverage going forward).

During our conversation yesterday, my SA did mention that, if after driving it for a few days, I decide I'm not satisfied, he would ask BMW to compensate me for not being able to rectify the issue. I wasn't aware manufacturers did this before this experience. Not sure what that compensation amount would be but, considering the above-and-beyond efforts of my SA going to bat for me with BMW during this process, I'm leaning toward letting it be.

I will say, after driving a brand new 230i for a week (basic trim with nearly no options), I appreciate how great a car the 335i is even more now that we have it back. I also came to the conclusion that I can never own a BMW without the MSport pkg!
First, the connector on the mirror is a round snap in the center. That will not put pressure on 1 corner.

As the mirror is a safety item regulated under USA Federal Law, they should replace the entire assembly if they have an issue.

Otherwise, I’d go up the ladder to BMWNA and tell them you are going to file with all Federal Agencies that they are out of conformance with USA Regulations and refuse to correct issue properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #43
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

First, the connector on the mirror is a round snap in the center. That will not put pressure on 1 corner.

As the mirror is a safety item regulated under USA Federal Law, they should replace the entire assembly if they have an issue.

Otherwise, I'd go up the ladder to BMWNA and tell them you are going to file with all Federal Agencies that they are out of conformance with USA Regulations and refuse to correct issue properly.
Weird...the SA confirmed flex...strange because you swear that's not possible. Must feel silly!
1987 325e
Appreciate 0