F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Gaming pc
GetBMWParts

12-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #111
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Who Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
It is quite noisy with all fans running to be honest. With the fan on the front you can't see any lights as the casings in the way that's why I swapped it and put the stick at the front then coloured at the back so you could see the coloured fan through the glass window. I'll swap the fan at the back round to exhaust the heat and I may disconnect the 2 top fans from spinning and just have them lighting up so take the noise down abit
It will be if the system just sets them at full pelt all the time. The only way around it is if the fans are PWM and you have them plugged into a compatible fan slot, or you use a fan controller to control the speed itself. Chances are the system won't get hot enough to make that much of a difference, just ensure it isn't packed into a tight space.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #112
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I've unplugged the 2 top fans but left the lights working and spun the back fan around so it's pushing the air out. He's opened it this morning and he's chuffed to bits with it but I'm having trouble getting Fortnite working on it. I've installed it but getting a error message dx11 feature level 10 is required to run this engine I've had a lot around the internet and it's either the graphics card isn't capable of running it or windows needs updating. I'm just in the process of installing 220 windows updates. Is there a work around to get this running? The graphics card is a ati Radeon hd 3600
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #113
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've unplugged the 2 top fans but left the lights working and spun the back fan around so it's pushing the air out. He's opened it this morning and he's chuffed to bits with it but I'm having trouble getting Fortnite working on it. I've installed it but getting a error message dx11 feature level 10 is required to run this engine I've had a lot around the internet and it's either the graphics card isn't capable of running it or windows needs updating. I'm just in the process of installing 220 windows updates. Is there a work around to get this running? The graphics card is a ati Radeon hd 3600
Looking at the info on the HD 3600 it is incompatible with DX11, it is designed for DX10. So that is why you are getting that error message. Unless there is a way to run Fornite at DX10 rather than DX11 then the card won't run it. Based on a quick google search that won't be possible.

To be able to run the game you are going to need a DX11 compatible card. If you are using the system that you go from here with the 3570k processor it should have HD4000 graphics build in. This is DX11 compatible and will run it, albeit very poorly as it is the minimum recommended by the developers. To do this you would need to disable the graphics card and run the system off of the motherboards graphics connectors.

Pretty much safe to say you'd be better acquiring a new card in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #114
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

I thought that would be the case. I might try the graphics on the mother board just to get him started and to get him off my case 😂 what's a basic graphics card to get him going ?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #115
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I thought that would be the case. I might try the graphics on the mother board just to get him started and to get him off my case �� what's a basic graphics card to get him going ?
You might need to update the intel graphics drivers first so just check that. I think a few were suggested early in the thread. Depending on how much you want to spend on one of course there are a few options with varying levels of future proofing.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...graphics-cards Any of these would be suitable as a basic card, it is pretty much the same price as the normal 1650 so its worth getting it.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...graphics-cards These are a bit more powerful and will run things more smoothly. Again the super is pretty much the same price as the normal.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...graphics-cards These would be the upper end of this range before moving into RTX cards, probably won't require something this powerful.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...graphics-cards These would be great alternative from the red camp as it is a bit more expensive than the 1650 super and less than the 1660 super and sits inbetween the two.

Last edited by Kyuuseishu; 12-25-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #116
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just want a basic one for now. If he got into gaming abit more I'd probably build a system from scratch
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #117
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

My local pc shop has got Palit GTX1650 StormX, 4GB DDR5, DVI, HDMI, 1665MHz Clock, Compact Design for £160 is that any good ? If I'm honest I haven't got a clue about all the super etc
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #118
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My local pc shop has got Palit GTX1650 StormX, 4GB DDR5, DVI, HDMI, 1665MHz Clock, Compact Design for £160 is that any good ? If I'm honest I haven't got a clue about all the super etc
The link I put to scan for the 1650 super cards has them for under that price. Sure it will take a couple of days to come but it is cheaper. It is entirely up to you, the Zotac card from that link is £138 and would be better than the one at your local.

The super is basically a refresh of the cards, bit more powerful for pretty much the same price. It is worth getting over the normal card.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #119
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just tried to use the vga on the motherboard but it doesn't seem to be working. I disabled the onboard graphics card although it still works but a poor quality but when I choose vga on the monitor it doesn't display any thing. Why can't anything be simple 😞
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #120
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just tried to use the vga on the motherboard but it doesn't seem to be working. I disabled the onboard graphics card although it still works but a poor quality but when I choose vga on the monitor it doesn't display any thing. Why can't anything be simple ��
You might need to go into the motherboard BIOS to enable the CPU onboard graphics (some disable them once an external card is plugged in). Also like mentioned before the drivers for them might be way out of data, it is a 3000 series CPU which is at least 7 years old...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #121
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've enabled the on board graphics on bois and got it to work tried Fortnite and it worked although a bit laggy. Finished updating all the windows updates now I'm getting an error message when trying to run fornite about the graphics card not being supported. I'm just going to order a new graphics card.

This is the one I'm going to order off scan is there anything else I should know about before ordering? Will it be compatible with my motherboard ? I don't really want any more surprises if im honest

Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB StormX Turing Graphics Card
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #122
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've enabled the on board graphics on bois and got it to work tried Fortnite and it worked although a bit laggy. Finished updating all the windows updates now I'm getting an error message when trying to run fornite about the graphics card not being supported. I'm just going to order a new graphics card.

This is the one I'm going to order off scan is there anything else I should know about before ordering? Will it be compatible with my motherboard ? I don't really want any more surprises if im honest

Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB StormX Turing Graphics Card
As long as it's got a PCI-E slot it will be fine and work okay with your hardware. Your PSU should have a spare 8 pin PCI-E power connector knocking about inside which you would plug into the card itself. I think the HD3650 which you currently have is powered through the PCI slot itself. As long as that is all good it should be fine. Note that the super has DVI, HDMI and Display port so make sure you have one of these connectors to be able to plug it into the monitor.

8 pin would look something like this

Your current card will be plugged into the PCI-E slot, a long slot should be the highest one up the board.

Just looking back at the spec of PC you got from muff, the system will almost be identical to the one I am running albeit a better card. Therefore it will run even current games very well.

Last edited by Kyuuseishu; 12-26-2019 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #123
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

I remember seeing a few pci power supply's spare when I put it all into the new case. The motherboard is a msi h77ma-g43 will that be ok ? Also it's got windows 7 installed but think I'm going to order a bigger ssd as with Fortnite and windows on its took up all the space so was thinking of putting windows 10 on or should I stick with windows 7?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #124
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I remember seeing a few pci power supply's spare when I put it all into the new case. The motherboard is a msi h77ma-g43 will that be ok ? Also it's got windows 7 installed but think I'm going to order a bigger ssd as with Fortnite and windows on its took up all the space so was thinking of putting windows 10 on or should I stick with windows 7?
Yeah that MB will be fine, it has a single PCI-E 3.0 slot on it which is enough for the card. I am pretty sure Windows 7 is at end of life at the moment so it would be worth getting it updated to 10 for future security purposes. If you do get another SSD just make sure it is plugged into the SATA3 slots on the MB (white slots). Not that it will hit the ceiling of the data transfer, it's just best to do so.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #125
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'll update it to windows 10 and start fresh. Thanks for the help mate appreciate it 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #126
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'll update it to windows 10 and start fresh. Thanks for the help mate appreciate it 👍
Not a problem, enjoy the rest of the holidays!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #127
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Now I've come across another problem got the graphics card and new ssd today so loaded them both into the case and put in the windows 10 bootable usb stick i nade yesterday. Turned the computer on and went through the few start up pages of the installation process now when I go to select the ssd to install to it says a driver is missing for the hard drive. I can see the ssd in the startup screen when you first turn the computer on and in bois. Am I missing something here ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #128
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Now I've come across another problem got the graphics card and new ssd today so loaded them both into the case and put in the windows 10 bootable usb stick i nade yesterday. Turned the computer on and went through the few start up pages of the installation process now when I go to select the ssd to install to it says a driver is missing for the hard drive. I can see the ssd in the startup screen when you first turn the computer on and in bois. Am I missing something here ?
It should give an option to format the ssd, then create a new partition? Can you just click cancel on that message and continue the install?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #129
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

The hard drive wouldn't appear at all so I went out and got another sata cable to use the 240gb as storage then put the os on the 120gb. The 120gb wouldn't let me install the os on it but the 240gb showed up when both was connected. Installed the os on the 240gb then formatted the 120gb to use for extra storage. So it's all up and running now thank god. Thanks for the help guys 👍
Appreciate 1