F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Composite Garden Decking
ARMA SPEED

02-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
Toby1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Never walks

Composite Garden Decking

The artificial grass thread has got me thinking about the garden for when it gets warmer.

Looking at building a deck using composite boards - done timber before and never again!

Does anyone have any recommendations beyond the usual Wickes or B&Q?

Looking to install myself and it’s not a huge area to do - about 5m x 4m leading off from the paved patio.

Trex boards look quite good - anyone used these?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

I have had a 40 square metre Trex decking put down which also goes around my hot tub. Went for the transcend and we are very happy with it. It is supposed to be the best decking you can get at the moment?

It isn't cheap, and things like hidden clips and plugs are bloody expensive for what is essentially a bit of plastic and a screw, or a round bit of decking, but it does look good, is good to walk on in all weathers and should last to make the investment worthwhile.

There is tape you can get to go on top of the subframe which should stop it rotting as the boards should last a lifetime really. It has made the garden into a more useable space as it sloped away from the house and now we have somewhere for garden furniture (which we have not got yet, so any recommendations will be handy), the BBQ and makes going to and from the tub a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Some pics. This was straight after they finished so still a bit messy etc.

I dont know why the pics have been turned around?? I don't know how to change them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aquazi461.00
      02-08-2021, 02:41 AM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Millboard is by far and away the best composite decking I’ve ever seen. Been to a couple of houses with it down and it looks amazing.

https://millboard.co.uk/samples/?gcl...yAAEgIVWPD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:23 AM   #5
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

You could look at Neo Timber as well.... they'll send you some free samples also.

https://neotimber.com/decking/
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:16 AM   #6
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

I had mine done in my old house last summer. Because it was 80 square meters I did a lot of research. My findings where, try and find a solid core decking, as the hollow versions flex to much and can bow in time, and a more textured finish is better so you won’t go arse over tit with the slightest bit of rain. I’ll see if I can get the invoice and find out what it was called, but it was very good quality rigid and heavy with a 30 year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #7
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Google for your local building plastics supplies.
They'll have a good selection and cheaper than B&Q.
I've never used the stuff but my neighbour used it to clad his house and it looks great, just like genuine cedar and he reckons it was half the price.