F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Hit when parked
ARMA SPEED

01-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Hit when parked

Hello guys. I made some couple post on my car here on forums, but today someone hit it while it was parked nice and sound and FAR away.

the question is, when going through the auto body shop, can I do some request such as not drilling the front bumper license plate holes? and do you think that Alpine White is hard to color match ?

Thank you

Sad reacts on the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
Hello guys. I made some couple post on my car here on forums, but today someone hit it while it was parked nice and sound and FAR away.

the question is, when going through the auto body shop, can I do some request such as not drilling the front bumper license plate holes? and do you think that Alpine White is hard to color match ?

Thank you

Sad reacts on the car
Of course you can request whatever. It's your car.

Alpine White can be matched (as can any color). It's certainly not as hard as a metallic, but do not expect a cheap outfit like Maaco to match it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

If they aren't doing anything but repainting the bumper I don't think there's a way for them to not to drill holes that are already there. You could ask them to fill the holes.

As far as Alpine White being a hard color to match...It can't be its the most basic white BMW offers. It shouldn't be hard to match at all. If you had Mineral White I'd be a little concerned but since it's Apline White it shouldn't be hard to match.

Also, sorry about the hit & run.
      01-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by That340i View Post
If they aren't doing anything but repainting the bumper I don't think there's a way for them to not to drill holes. You could ask them to fill the holes.

As far as Alpine White being a hard color to match...It can't be its the most basic white BMW offers. It shouldn't be hard to match at all. If you had Mineral White I'd be a little concerned but since it's Apline White it shouldn't be hard to match.

Just because it's basic, doesn't mean anything. Last time I checked there were over 13 variations of BMW ALPINWEISS 3 (300). Another reason why the touch up seldom matches.

And as for bumper holes, there is no law that the license plate has to be drilled to the bumper. In fact, only 4 Canadian Provinces require a front and rear license plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
If they aren't doing anything but repainting the bumper I don't think there's a way for them to not to drill holes. You could ask them to fill the holes.

Just because it's basic, doesn't mean anything. Last time I checked there were over 13 variations of BMW ALPINWEISS 3 (300). Another reason why the touch up seldom matches.

And as for bumper holes, there is no law that the license plate has to be drilled to the bumper. In fact, only 4 Canadian Provinces require a front and rear license plate.
yeah apparently im in BC which requires one, but im thinking of putting in the tow hook
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

Quote:

I'm saying it shouldn't be hard for a Body Shop to match it because I'm pretty sure they have tons of experience with Alpine White BMWs!

As far as the bumper holes I was telling OP that if he doesn't want the holes that he could ask them to fill the holes (that is if he already has holes drilled). If his current bumper doesn't have the holes then he can tell them NOT to do it. Simple.
      01-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Of course you can request whatever. It's your car.

Alpine White can be matched (as can any color). It's certainly not as hard as a metallic, but do not expect a cheap outfit like Maaco to match it correctly.
I went to a BMW CCRC nearby. hope that it would have good results
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #8
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm saying it shouldn't be hard for a Body Shop to match it because I'm pretty sure they have tons of experience with Alpine White BMWs!

As far as the bumper holes I was telling OP that if he doesn't want the holes that he could ask them to fill the holes (that is if he already has holes drilled). If his current bumper doesn't have the holes then he can tell them NOT to do it. Simple.
I see, I'll contact them and see again! I wanna put a tow hook plate holder!
Appreciate 1
That340i104.00
      01-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Man this picture pisses me off!!!
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Should be covered by insurance but still sucks regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Going through insurance?
Looks like that bumper is going to need some plastic work or a replace. Verify no damage on your headlight housing.

Plastic work then repaint going to be expensive or look bad. Im not sure on the current price of a new bumper, but adding up plastic labor and accompaning extra prep into the bill, you're possibly better off with a new bumper. No plastic labor and easy prep, plus retain your bumper and sell it for a few bucks as is.

If budget DIY consider having it touched up and keep your eyes peeled for a mint used bumper from a wrecked car.

Last edited by AlpineX; 02-01-2020 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:55 AM   #12
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Going through insurance?
Looks like that bumper is going to need some plastic work or a replace. Verify no damage on your headlight housing.

Plastic work then repaint going to be expensive or look bad. Im not sure on the current price of a new bumper, but adding up plastic labor and accompaning extra prep into the bill, you're possibly better off with a new bumper. No plastic labor and easy prep, plus retain your bumper and sell it for a few bucks as is.

If budget DIY consider having it touched up and keep your eyes peeled for a mint used bumper from a wrecked car.
going through insurance!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Going through insurance?

Hey Alpine, I got quoted for ~5200 CAD to fix it (insurance) . Im just wondering if its really that expensive for just a bumper fix? there arent any hidden damages and that includes a 800 CAD carbon lip. so its around 4400 cad which translates to 3k USD . Do you think thats a normal price?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #14
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

I could see an msport bumper replacement nearing $3k including labor and tax. What parts are getting replaced and what is getting worked on? Are they blending both fenders and hood?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Going through insurance?

Hey Alpine, I got quoted for ~5200 CAD to fix it (insurance) . Im just wondering if its really that expensive for just a bumper fix? there arent any hidden damages and that includes a 800 CAD carbon lip. so its around 4400 cad which translates to 3k USD . Do you think thats a normal price?
A front OEM MSport Bumper could be done for 66% of that ($2k USD) in USA at a very good shop
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #16
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A front OEM MSport Bumper could be done for 66% of that ($2k USD) in USA at a very good shop
got an email from the body shop

Quote:
Hi *my name*

So some unfortunate news in regards to your bumper. The bumper came defected and we had to swap it out for a different one, only thing is now it is coming out of Toronto and we won’t be seeing it until Friday. I am in talks with BMW to see if we can get it any sooner. I will keep you posted as I gain more knowledge on this. I am so sorry for the delay and am trying our hardest to get your Bmw 340i back into your hands.
This is sad to hear how can a bumper be defective lol
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:52 PM   #17
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I wonder if the car had a Tesla Sentry system would it be able to catch the license plate as it is coming from the front and all the videos I've seen are footage from side cameras.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:08 AM   #18
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Better than them 'making it work'. Probably damage in transit (or they ordered the wrong version!)

"As long as the finish product is perfect, a few extra days won't stress me."
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 08:18 AM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
I watched a program on TV about the building of a BMW and they said that BMW used plastic on the bumper covers because it was relatively inexpensive to replace. Relatively inexpensive? Wow.

I am not in the group of folks who think that BMWs are not reliable. But I do believe that they have a ton of expensive equipment that is expensive to repair or replace. That is why I intend to keep my car for seven years (4 years of OEM warranty, 3 years of GEICO MBI).

If a simple bumper cover replacement is $6500 CAD, what will other repairs cost?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #20
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:

Probably damaged in shipping.

BMW repair centers require all new parts in 100% condition. I'd assume that's where you went and what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
I watched a program on TV about the building of a BMW and they said that BMW used plastic on the bumper covers because it was relatively inexpensive to replace. Relatively inexpensive? Wow.

I am not in the group of folks who think that BMWs are not reliable. But I do believe that they have a ton of expensive equipment that is expensive to repair or replace. That is why I intend to keep my car for seven years (4 years of OEM warranty, 3 years of GEICO MBI).

If a simple bumper cover replacement is $6500 CAD, what will other repairs cost?
A Bumper Exchange in and of itself can be done very well for $2k USD or under.

I would remind you that anything in Canada cost at minimum ~20% more simply for Healthcare. That doesn't include the added costs to transport to Canada etc.
Appreciate 0