F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Springs + Koni Sport yellows
Studio RSR

03-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Dinan Springs + Koni Sport yellows

‘17 340i xDrive, standard (non-adaptive) suspension, MPPSK, MPBBK + stainless-steel brake lines. I have a 19” staggered setup for both summer (Pilot Super Sport 4) + winter (Pilot A/3 3+).

Three reviews in one:
1. Stock, non-adaptive xDrive suspension
2. Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs + OEM dampers
3. Dinan springs, bump stops + Koni Sport yellow dampers

EDIT - Two-month update below with photo

Standard, Non-Adaptive xDrive Suspension

Like many, I was unsatisfied with the standard, Non-Adaptive xDrive suspension. It felt too floaty. There was always this rear-end wiggle over bumps at speeds over 40 mph. The ride was just not sporty enough. The wheel gap seemed excessive. I understand why BMW spec’d the car this way, as it would be great for many buyers who wanted a comfortable, luxury feeling with a sporty-ish drive. I get it. But I wanted something sharper.

Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs + OEM dampers

The Pro Kit lowers the front by 0.8”, and the rear by 0.6”. They are rated as 10% stiffer than OEM springs. Eibach claims the Pro Kit is designed to work with OEM dampers. So based on my limited knowledge, I though putting on the Pro Kit would be the bee’s knees.

My first impression of the Pro Kit was positive. The car looked much better, and the lower center of gravity and slightly stiffer springs improved corning and steering response especially on smooth tarmac.

A month later, I had a loaner 330xi GT, and as I drove it, I was surprised at how well-damped it was. Being a GT, it was even more floaty than the 340xi, but the OEM dampers controlled the bounce quite well. Getting back into my Eibach-lowered car, I was even more surprised to be so aware of how bouncy the ride was. Over stretches of sketchy tarmac, the Eibach springs were overwhelming the dampers and the car felt less controlled and more bouncy than stock. I have no data to back this up, but I could swear that over the 3 months (and 5000 miles) that the Eibachs were on, that the stock dampers degraded.

After some research I realized that lowering springs + OEM dampers will always leave the car in an underdamped state. There are many discussions about lowering springs which, unfortunately, make no mention of dampers at all. Springs and dampers should always be matched; stronger springs will need stronger dampers. (And possibly sway bars.)

My final impression of the Eibach Pro Kit + OEM dampers was that it was a mistake. They were an improvement in cornering and steering response over flat tarmac, but a degradation in ride quality and control over bumpy roads. After 3 months, I was ready to take them off and get a real sport suspension.

Dinan Springs + Bump Stops + Koni Sport yellow Dampers

I wanted a matching set of springs and dampers. I would have gotten the M Performance suspension kit if BMW made it available for xDrive. But alas, I chose xDrive instead of RWD, not fully understanding the suspension ramifications. Another lesson learned.

My second choice was the Bilstein B8 dampers, as the Eibach Pro Kit is paired with them (i.e. the Bilstein B12 kit). However, they are perpetually backordered and nearly impossible to get.

My third choice was Dinan. They make matching bump stops for the springs, and the Koni Sport yellow are featured on their site as a matching damper. The Dinan springs lower by 1.0” front, and 1.125” rear. They are rated as 30% stiffer than OEM springs. The installer noted that the front Koni’s only had 1.5 turns total (not 2.5 turns as expected), so he adjusted them to 1.25 turns from full soft. The rears are also 1.25 turns from full soft. So the Koni’s are basically set to maximum stiffness (they recommend not actually setting them at 100%). The installer re-used the existing strut mounts.

I’ve driven the car all weekend, from a 100-mile highway trip, to a grocery run, to carting the myself and 3 passengers across the city to dinner. I went to a parking lot and did some slaloms and pothole-avoidance manuevers.

The ride is firm, but well-damped. You can feel the bumps in the road, and over really bumpy stretches of road you are jostled around a bit. Hitting a pothole is still terrifying. Is the ride so firm that your teeth are getting rattled? Not even close. In fact, I assumed that on max stiffness that the ride would be firmer than it is. I think the ride is perfectly firm, and I wouldn’t change it. It rides like a sports car should ride.

The rear-end jiggle at bumps over 40+ mph? Totally gone. The rear end is composed at all times. There is never any jiggle or sway.

Taking fast corners (e.g. a neighborhood right-turn at 25-30 mph) — at mid-corner you can feel the tires digging in. Body roll is much reduced over stock (and Eibach + stock dampers). Lots of traction. I was actually surprised that my Pilot A/S 3+ tires had so much grip in them (40 degrees temps).

On the highway, the car feels great. The lower center of gravity makes the car feel well-planted. Bumps and seams are of no consequence. The stock 340xi would always be slightly unsettled over bumps at higher speeds - not a great amount, but just a bit. But that is all gone now.

On a cross-city drive with two passengers in the back seat, they didn’t complain. The firm ride is much less annoying to rear-seat passengers than the MPPSK exhaust with the valves open.

On a freeway exit, I took the giant circle turn pretty fast - my wife had to hang on. What she said after: “That felt amazingly stable.” I think that pretty much sums it up.

The only complaint my wife had was that the car was too low; she would prefer it if I had an X5. I told her she should get one. I got the look.

Based on the Eibachs before it, I didn’t expect to notice the additional drop at all. Instead, the increased drop was immediately apparently. I think the Dinan drop is perfect. The car is really hunkered down. My wife said “now you look like a hotshot”.

In summary, after a weekend of varied driving, I absolutely love the Dinan springs, bump stops and Koni yellows. Worth every penny. I feel like I have a real sports car now.

I will write a follow-up review in a few months, as I know that First Reviews can sometimes be too sunny.

EDIT - As promised, here is a two-month update.

I’ve lived with the Dinan springs, bumps + Koni shocks for 2 months now. Totally love them! The ride is firm but not stiff. Friends and family have noticed but haven’t complained.

The handling is precise. Cornering is much flatter than stock. The car reacts to sharp steering changes quickly. The car does not crash over bumps of any size. Potholes, of course, are terrifying. But the car remains composed over uneven surfaces and bumps and very quickly regains its footing e.g. through mid-corner bumps.

After 2 months, the Dinan springs have settled and are lower. I would estimate about 0.5” lower. See the last photo. I basically have zero wheel gap. There is a very, very slight reverse rake, if you look closely. The car looks hunkered down.

I parked next to an F80 M3 Competition and measured the ground clearance (from the chassis bottom to the ground just behind the front wheel well). My lowered 340xi is now 0.75” lower than an M3C.

Poor roads and potholes are a menace. I could swear that this winter the roads were as bad as they’ve ever been, but I think a big part of that perception is that my suspension is lot firmer. I avoid driving fast on unknown roads and at night, simply because I’m always looking out for potholes. I’m considering replacing my 19” staggered winters with 18” staggered winters, just for that extra bit of rubber.
Attached Images

Last edited by harperium; 05-28-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 7
VP_5675.50
KRS_SN13433.00
F36GC_NYC159.50
i128316.00
DLag30103.50
      03-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Wow great write up! That looks surprisingly level for Dinan Springs? Usually the rear looks lower than that. I wonder if it’s due to the Konis? Regardless, looks great! How much did this setup run you if you don’t mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadserial View Post
Wow great write up! That looks surprisingly level for Dinan Springs? Usually the rear looks lower than that. I wonder if it’s due to the Konis? Regardless, looks great! How much did this setup run you if you don’t mind me asking?
$1400 for Dinan springs, bump stops & Koni Sport yellow dampers

$1000 install
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
$1400 for Dinan springs, bump stops & Koni Sport yellow dampers

$1000 install
Thanks... was there a reason you decided this route instead of coilovers? Dang, that is an expensive install!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadserial View Post
Thanks... was there a reason you decided this route instead of coilovers? Dang, that is an expensive install!
This whole thing is a learning process.

I suppose the next time I do this, I'll choose coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

holy shit who charged you 1000 for install, you got robbed bad, what a thief.
Appreciate 1
F36GC_NYC159.50
      03-31-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: 2014 335i X-Drive

I'm considering the same set-up for my 2014 335i xDrive. Who did you source the springs / kit and struts through?

My indy quoted me $1K to install springs / struts and align. I haven't bid it out to the other local indy's that specialize in BMW's. For those of you who found $1K too much, what did you pay or what would you expect to pay for a 4-corner spring / strut install with alignment?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator Mo View Post
I'm considering the same set-up for my 2014 335i xDrive. Who did you source the springs / kit and struts through?

My indy quoted me $1K to install springs / struts and align. I haven't bid it out to the other local indy's that specialize in BMW's. For those of you who found $1K too much, what did you pay or what would you expect to pay for a 4-corner spring / strut install with alignment?
I got the Dinan springs + bump stops from Dinan’s web site

I got the Koni Sport yellow from ShockWarehouse.com - Dinan sells the Koni struts (front), pre-adjusted for the Dinan springs, but charges a lot more.

Really really loving the ride. Feels perfect to me.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2019, 12:27 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Looks great!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Quote:

It's a ~ 3 hour install for a slow DIY'r like me with a floor jack, jack stands, and rented spring compressors from autozone.
The BMW dealer charges me $150 for an alignment.

So $1000 for install and alignment
subtract $150 for the alignment
that is $850 for labor on the strut and spring install.
Divide by 3 hours, that is $283/hour
I'd expect at minimum $100/hour less than that.
If i had an impact wrench i probably could save an hour with the damn spring compressors.

I'd find a performance shop or something else, there is nothing complicated about the f30 suspension that needs special BMW expertise. At least with the non-adaptive, but from what i have read that is just something you unplug/plug-in.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: 2014 335i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
It's a ~ 3 hour install for a slow DIY'r like me with a floor jack, jack stands, and rented spring compressors from autozone.

If i had an impact wrench i probably could save an hour with the damn spring compressors.

I'd find a performance shop or something else, there is nothing complicated about the f30 suspension that needs special BMW expertise. At least with the non-adaptive, but from what i have read that is just something you unplug/plug-in.
Thank you for the info. I had no feel for how involved removing the springs / struts was. Even it took me 5 hours, that's $170 / hour which is very high.

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340iX (6MT) - X3///M40i

Great write up! Very informative.
Do you happen to have all the part numbers for the Koni dampers?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Nice ... thank for a thorough write up

I am currently looking for suspension and this really helps alot.

I'm thinking on h&r or eibach(M3 bump stop) + koni yellow. Reading this Dinan look like a good option. Someone also mention swift spring on another thread. So it's really going to go with the budget.

Also I'm considering bilstien b8... but leaning to koni yellow
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #14
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i128 View Post

Thanks!
I got the Koni yellow from shockwarehouse.com

I emailed Dinan and they said:

"Front = 1-1/2 turns up from full SOFT
Rear = Ľ turn down from full HARD"

I got the Dinan springs (and supplemental ride kit / bump stops) from Dinan.

Front struts
8741 1591LSpor 1 KONI Sport (Yellow) Left Front 8741 1591LSpor $260.69 $260.69
8741 1591RSpor 1 KONI Sport (Yellow) Right Front 8741 1591RSpor $260.69 $260.69

Rear dampers
8240 1294Sport 2 8240 1294Sport $133.21 $266.42

Tax $0.00
Total $787.80

Sadly, I ended up selling this beauty of a 340xi and getting the X3 M40i. I wish I could have kept the 340 but budget and garage wouldn't allow for 2 cars. I got the X3 b/c I go on a lot of long road trips and needed something more suited to cargo and dirt roads etc etc. Great vehicle all around. The exhaust noise doesn't begin to match the 340 MPPSK though
Appreciate 4
i128316.00
isenc2145.00
      12-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by i128 View Post

Thanks!
I got the Koni yellow from shockwarehouse.com

I emailed Dinan and they said:

"Front = 1-1/2 turns up from full SOFT
Rear = ¼ turn down from full HARD"

I got the Dinan springs (and supplemental ride kit / bump stops) from Dinan.

Front struts
8741 1591LSpor 1 KONI Sport (Yellow) Left Front 8741 1591LSpor $260.69 $260.69
8741 1591RSpor 1 KONI Sport (Yellow) Right Front 8741 1591RSpor $260.69 $260.69

Rear dampers
8240 1294Sport 2 8240 1294Sport $133.21 $266.42

Tax $0.00
Total $787.80

Sadly, I ended up selling this beauty of a 340xi and getting the X3 M40i. I wish I could have kept the 340 but budget and garage wouldn't allow for 2 cars. I got the X3 b/c I go on a lot of long road trips and needed something more suited to cargo and dirt roads etc etc. Great vehicle all around. The exhaust noise doesn't begin to match the 340 MPPSK though
Enjoy your new Bimmerpost! Curious if you ever adjusted the Koni Yellows softer to see if that might handle things like potholes better? I've read recommendations to start the Koni Yellows on full soft and adjust them upwards, so I was surprised to see you start with them adjusted so stiffly.

I've got Eibach Springs with Koni Special Active Shocks that aren't adjustable but they are factory set in the lower half of the range of the Koni Yellows. Combined with my Michelin go-flats this combination soaks up rough roads and highway road seams without the previous teeth rattling. And those city potholes that were jaw breaking before, aren't scary at all any longer.
Take care!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
Quote:

that's crazy... that indy labor is too much

this is why I always go for coilovers cause of easy to install...there really no need to remove/ transfer top hat and compress spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #17
benneyb
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous - M235i BSM/Coral Red

Koni Special Actives for 340i xDrive?

johnung,

First, thanks for all of your very helpful posts and information. I'm considering purchase of a CPO 2017 340i xDrive with standard suspension, and your description of the Koni Special Active shocks sound like just what I'd be looking for, along with the Eibach springs. However my initial research doesn't show them to be available for the 340i xDrive, but they are available for other F30 models like the 335xi. Is this accurate?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:56 AM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
johnung,

First, thanks for all of your very helpful posts and information. I'm considering purchase of a CPO 2017 340i xDrive with standard suspension, and your description of the Koni Special Active shocks sound like just what I'd be looking for, along with the Eibach springs. However my initial research doesn't show them to be available for the 340i xDrive, but they are available for other F30 models like the 335xi. Is this accurate?
From what I can see the various vendors compatibility lists are incomplete. Even Koni North America appears to leave out the fact that the 340 is also a F30 model. I think they mistakenly didn't update their listing, which the mistake then was passed on to the retailers.

The Koni sport kit with springs and shocks is listed as fitting the F30 335 and 340, so the shocks by themselves should fit both models.

Go to the end of this link and you will see the 340i xDrive listed for the KoniSA.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...745-1378R.html

Attached is the Eibach springs part number for 340i xDrive which is identical to 335i xDrive
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:40 AM   #19
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
enjoyed your writeup.
could not have penned it better
stock x drive
stock xdrive with ACS spring (dampers shot in few months)
now acs springs and bilstein b8
suspension heaven
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:50 AM   #20
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
johnung,

From what I can see the various vendors compatibility lists are incomplete. Even Koni North America appears to leave out the fact that the 340 is also a F30 model. I think they mistakenly didn't update their listing, which the mistake then was passed on to the retailers.

The Koni sport kit with springs and shocks is listed as fitting the F30 335 and 340, so the shocks by themselves should fit both models.

Go to the end of this link and you will see the 340i xDrive listed for the KoniSA.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...745-1378R.html

Attached is the Eibach springs part number for 340i xDrive which is identical to 335i xDrive
Pictured are the Koni Special Active Part Numbers that I was referring to. They list 2012-18 F30 and it just appears that they neglected to add 340 to the models listed.

Koni North America phone number is at the bottom of this link.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Home/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #21
benneyb
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous - M235i BSM/Coral Red

Awesome, thanks bud.
Appreciate 0