F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Plug
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
30
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Plug

So. I'm thinking of installing a Fumoto engine oil drain plug (F-190) without the nipples on my bimmer.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...l_Drain_Valve/

Has anyone tried this? The convenience and ease of draining the oil are appealing. Assuming I can remove the oil filter by hand, I would not need any tools to do an oil and filter change.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Elk
Major
31
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Given the ease of performing an oil change on these cars, I personally would not bother.

I have not tried opening the oil filter cover by hand, but I assume there are those that can do so.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
Andy0323
Private
United_States
3
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: OC

iTrader: (0)

I've had it on a previous car. It's a great investment for those who want to perform their own oil changes with minimal down time, clean up, and soiled sockets/wrenches.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
mikew2069's Avatar
356
Rep
1,877
Posts

Drives: F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (2)

This is one of the best inventions ever and I've had one on my last two cars but I'm not sure it will work on the F30. When you open the flap under the car to access the drain plug, the plug is right there and almost flush with the flap. Not sure there's enough room for the fumoto and to be able to close the flap back. There might be enough room but it will be very close.
__________________
2013 F30 335i ///M-Sport
Forgestar/Challenge/BMS JB4
Wagner/Evo Race/M-Performance
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
30
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
This is one of the best inventions ever and I've had one on my last two cars but I'm not sure it will work on the F30. When you open the flap under the car to access the drain plug, the plug is right there and almost flush with the flap. Not sure there's enough room for the fumoto and to be able to close the flap back. There might be enough room but it will be very close.
I guess I'll find out this weekend. Already took delivery and ready for installation this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
mikew2069's Avatar
356
Rep
1,877
Posts

Drives: F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (2)

Cool, let us know. If there is clearance, I'll have to pick one up.
__________________
2013 F30 335i ///M-Sport
Forgestar/Challenge/BMS JB4
Wagner/Evo Race/M-Performance
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
30
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Okay. So I changed the oil today and tried to install the Fumoto oil drain plug. Well it won't work because the drain plug is located inside an oval cut out located at the bottom sheet metal just below the motor. The sheet metal gets in the way such that you cannot screw the Fumoto plug into the drainage hole. I suppose if one was inclined, they could take the time to remove the bottom sheet metal. But that is too much trouble for me. Not worth the time or effort. Also the oval cut out did not have a cover like some examples I saw on a google search. It was just a open oval with direct access to the drain plug without any cover. Btw this is on a 2013 F30 335i xDrive. I'm somewhat irritated that the vendor would not take the time to distinguish the difference and advertise that it fits on all F30. Well that's not the case and it's annoying that they don't give a shit.

They advertise that it will fit on all F30's. Well that is just plain wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
finaloption
Captain
finaloption's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: '13 f30 n26
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

safe to assume the same for n20/n26? but like someone said previously.. changing oil on the n20/n26 is so simple.. how much more easier can it get?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
cbarlow
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335ix Sport Line
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Southeast Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
the oval cut out did not have a cover like some examples I saw on a google search. It was just a open oval with direct access to the drain plug without any cover. Btw this is on a 2013 F30 335i xDrive.
Can anyone confirm this? I'm planning to do an oil change on my 2013 F30 335i xDrive later today. I've done 100+ oil changes on other vehicles. This is just the first on my BMW.

Like dude987, I'm looking for an access door but do not see one. The described oval in the sheet metal is under the front center of the vehicle and is aligned with the rear of the front tires. It has a 17mm bolt right there.

I'm sure this is it, but figured better to confirm than make a mistake and regret not asking.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
zcspec
Lieutenant
zcspec's Avatar
177
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: His: S3, Hers: X3 M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area & OC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarlow View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I'm planning to do an oil change on my 2013 F30 335i xDrive later today. I've done 100+ oil changes on other vehicles. This is just the first on my BMW.

Like dude987, I'm looking for an access door but do not see one. The described oval in the sheet metal is under the front center of the vehicle and is aligned with the rear of the front tires. It has a 17mm bolt right there.

I'm sure this is it, but figured better to confirm than make a mistake and regret not asking.

I do not have a xDrive like you, but from the looks/location of the drain bolt, I'm 99% certain that's the bolt. TQ spec is 20-22lbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
469
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0323 View Post
I've had it on a previous car. It's a great investment for those who want to perform their own oil changes with minimal down time, clean up, and soiled sockets/wrenches.
what exactly does it do?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
cbarlow
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335ix Sport Line
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Southeast Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I do not have a xDrive like you, but from the looks/location of the drain bolt, I'm 99% certain that's the bolt. TQ spec is 20-22lbs.
Thanks for the reply! Given dude987's post, i too was 99% sure and went ahead with it. It was indeed the oil drain bolt. Seems there is a bit of variation across F30 models. Not sure if it's engine or xDrive that causes it to vary.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #13
catskillclimber
Private
43
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: claryville, ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Okay. So I changed the oil today and tried to install the Fumoto oil drain plug. Well it won't work because the drain plug is located inside an oval cut out located at the bottom sheet metal just below the motor. The sheet metal gets in the way such that you cannot screw the Fumoto plug into the drainage hole. I suppose if one was inclined, they could take the time to remove the bottom sheet metal. But that is too much trouble for me. Not worth the time or effort. Also the oval cut out did not have a cover like some examples I saw on a google search. It was just a open oval with direct access to the drain plug without any cover. Btw this is on a 2013 F30 335i xDrive. I'm somewhat irritated that the vendor would not take the time to distinguish the difference and advertise that it fits on all F30. Well that's not the case and it's annoying that they don't give a shit.

They advertise that it will fit on all F30's. Well that is just plain wrong.
Had the same interference issue on our 328d. I filed a little relief out of the sheet metal to install. Probably took 5 min to get the clearance.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
1259
Rep
7,989
Posts

Drives: F32 435ix MSport ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (103)

Garage List
Personally, I would be more worried that over time that valve may leak & all the oil run out of the engine vs. the 10sec it takes to remove the OEM drain plug bolt...
__________________
F32 435ix//Mineral Gray Metallic//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Leather Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK Sound+Musicar Stg3//763M Wheels//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoiler-LED Sills-CF Shift Knob/Surround/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/DV+//AWE Tuning Exhaust w/CF Tips//Dinan CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
catskillclimber
Private
43
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: claryville, ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Personally, I would be more worried that over time that valve may leak & all the oil run out of the engine vs. the 10sec it takes to remove the OEM drain plug bolt...
I wouldn't worry. I've had them on our vehicles for years and they all go through the intense sand/salt regimen each winter without a leak. I've also had one on my 25,000 lb excavator for 7 years with no issue. Can't imagine a road car going through near the same abuse.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
196
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Don't be surprised if you do have a problem. Brian from Kiesmotorsports is a member here and he posted his youtube vid when he went over a bump and took out his fumoto. Pissed oil all over the street...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #17
catskillclimber
Private
43
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: claryville, ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
Don't be surprised if you do have a problem. Brian from Kiesmotorsports is a member here and he posted his youtube vid when he went over a bump and took out his fumoto. Pissed oil all over the street...
He made an installation error. He used an extension adapter, I'd guess to avoid the same clearance issues during installation. This certainly put the valve below the protection of the belly pan.
Mine uses no extension and is recessed in relation to the belly pan.
If that concerned it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a plate that attaches to the belly pan to offer maximum protection.
Devil is in the details.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
196
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
He made an installation error. He used an extension adapter, I'd guess to avoid the same clearance issues during installation. This certainly put the valve below the protection of the belly pan.
Mine uses no extension and is recessed in relation to the belly pan.
If that concerned it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a plate that attaches to the belly pan to offer maximum protection.
Devil is in the details.
While a recessed install would probably have helped in his install, I still am a little worried that a big hit to that area could result in a involuntary mass draining of oil with a Fumoto. At least with a regular drain plug, it's less likely for that to happen...and if you took a big enough hit in that area, it would most likely just shear the bolt head off, leaving the oil in the pan where it belongs.

Of course with that level of damage, you're going to have bigger concerns than whether your oil stays in the pan or not...like whether you still have wheels left on the car...or an oil pan for that matter.

Not trying to knock Fumoto or their products. I think it is slick what they do and there's certainly applications where this product is a god send.

Yes, you can fabricate an extra protective plate if you choose, but I for one will not be adding hillbilly armor to my undercarriage...lol
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #19
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
dreamspeed's Avatar
United_States
217
Rep
1,623
Posts

Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I've looked into installing one of these before and based on various forum posts here and elsewhere (for several makes/model of cars).... i've come to the conclusion that there is a small chance of "disaster."

Not worth the risk considering it's only minimal extra work to do it the standard way.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
zcspec
Lieutenant
zcspec's Avatar
177
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: His: S3, Hers: X3 M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area & OC

iTrader: (0)

Fumoto F109S Valve WILL NOT FIT

I will confirm for the following owners: N55 engines (at least my 2014 335 N55). No Fumoto Valve will fit safely on this engine.

I purchased the F109S setup. On the N55 motor, the plug is pointed virtually straight down. It will thread in, but the F109S body is just too large. When attempting to close the oil drain plug door, you're left with a substantial "hump" in the undercarriage plate. All it will take is a simply bump in the road and your Fumoto plug will be ripped right off.

It's a shame because I've used these before on other vehicles and the product worked so well. Maybe it will fit on my wife's X3 with the N20 motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #21
jacie6056
Private
0
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 335
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Any success on N55 335i or 435i with different type of fitting.
For example: F109 instead ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #22
catskillclimber
Private
43
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: claryville, ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
While a recessed install would probably have helped in his install, I still am a little worried that a big hit to that area could result in a involuntary mass draining of oil with a Fumoto. At least with a regular drain plug, it's less likely for that to happen...and if you took a big enough hit in that area, it would most likely just shear the bolt head off, leaving the oil in the pan where it belongs.

Of course with that level of damage, you're going to have bigger concerns than whether your oil stays in the pan or not...like whether you still have wheels left on the car...or an oil pan for that matter.

Not trying to knock Fumoto or their products. I think it is slick what they do and there's certainly applications where this product is a god send.

Yes, you can fabricate an extra protective plate if you choose, but I for one will not be adding hillbilly armor to my undercarriage...lol
I think she read your post before conducting this experiment...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ong-Beach.html
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST