F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Downpipe spacers waste of time and nonsense
Studio RSR

02-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
NateCbr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Downpipe spacers waste of time and nonsense

I don't even want to count how many hours I wasted messing around with this. Reading threads, swapping in different spacers, getting pissed AF because most the spacers have to be mounted with the dp off the car. At least the 90deg spacers won't thread with DP on car. I tried 3 different spacers. One "straight" spacer that wouldn't fit in the first place because it hit the fender well, one short straight spacer and then the 90deg one, which was also a waste of time.

Took me 45min to swap my stock DP back in.

I easily wasted 3-4 hours messing with bullshit downpipe spacers.

I also even read that the VRSF dp "fix" just stopped the CEL, it doesn't fix readiness.

If you don't have your stock downpipe, I would try something like the Big Daddies Mini Cat Spacer. I can't speak on how well it works, but from my research it seems to work better than the rest of the junk spacers out there

If you're considering trying these spacers, use my complete clusterfuck waste of time as a lesson.... save yourself the headache and just swap in your old DP for test, then swap it back in afterwards. Your knuckles will thank you, and your wife/gf won't be as pissed cause you're using up most of the garage for half the week. lol.

(On a side note, I'm getting pretty good at taking these pipes on and off rather fast). Lol
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateCbr View Post
I don't even want to count how many hours I wasted messing around with this. Reading threads, swapping in different spacers, getting pissed AF because most the spacers have to be mounted with the dp off the car. At least the 90deg spacers won't thread with DP on car. I tried 3 different spacers. One "straight" spacer that wouldn't fit in the first place because it hit the fender well, one short straight spacer and then the 90deg one, which was also a waste of time.

I also even read that the VRSF dp "fix" just stopped the CEL, it doesn't fix readiness.

If you don't have your stock downpipe, I would try something like the Big Daddies Mini Cat Spacer. I can't speak on how well it works, but from my research it seems to work better than the rest of the junk spacers out there

If you're considering trying these spacers, use my complete clusterfuck waste of time as a lesson.... save yourself the headache and just swap in your old DP for test, then swap it back in afterwards. Your knuckles will thank you, and your wife/gf won't be as pissed cause you're using up most of the garage for half the week. lol.

(On a side note, I'm getting pretty good at taking these pipes on and off rather fast). Lol

Pissed AF because of spacers...

...recommends spacer.

Total snake oil IMHO.
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
NateCbr45.50
      02-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateCbr View Post

Want to come down South of the Cheddar Curtain and give me a hand in the spring? Swapping in my fabspeed...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Or one could buy a 300 cell HJS Euro 6 downpipe, make 98% of the power of a catless DP, never throw a CEL, and not screw around with spacers.
      02-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

the only "fix" to this is

AA catteddp or fabspeed catteddp. (both expensive)

or keep putting in your stock dp back on, passing emission and then putting ur aftermarket dp back on.

thats pretty much it honestly...
      02-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F36GC_NYC View Post

or keep putting in your stock dp back on, passing emission and then putting ur aftermarket dp back on.

Honestly this is right... just put back stock dp and pass inspection and put back catless dp again....lol

This is not like a JDM engine swap that you gotta pay to play
Appreciate 1
F36GC_NYC159.50
      02-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

I was on the fence about the expense of a Fabspeed catted downpipe, until I read many posts like these. The hassle and labor expense to be swapping my old stock downpipe in and out just wasn't worth it to me. Fabspeed ran one of their regular 15% off, installed it for only $200, and I even got $ back towards it from selling my stock downpipe. Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe was well worth it to me!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I was on the fence about the expense of a Fabspeed catted downpipe, until I read many posts like these. The hassle and labor expense to be swapping my old stock downpipe in and out just wasn't worth it to me. Fabspeed ran one of their regular 15% off, installed it for only $200, and I even got $ back towards it from selling my stock downpipe. Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe was well worth it to me!
money was a little tight for me at the time because i had gotten a few things all at once and it added up quickly, however i do plan on trying to grab the fabspeed this black friday and installing it once and for all, then selling my stock and ER downpipe to recoup some of the money....

i almost never see them in the classifieds lol
      02-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #9
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Quote:

Honestly this is right... just put back stock dp and pass inspection and put back catless dp again....lol

Quote:
Quote:

I'm already planning on paying/bribing $100+ to pass emissions annually. Worth every penny
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #10
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade_The_Public View Post
I'm already planning on paying/bribing $100+ to pass emissions annually. Worth every penny
$100+ that's a steal.

Engine swap passing inspection cost around $250 to 400 here in California. I know that much, I use to run with S14 Silvia.

Maybe more now.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #11
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
I literally put the VRSF decatted DP on my F30 340i 2 weeks ago and its been 500 miles since then and no CEL for me with the 90 degree spacer I got from amazon for 20 bucks. No tunes, just exhaust.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:43 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
money was a little tight for me at the time because i had gotten a few things all at once and it added up quickly, however i do plan on trying to grab the fabspeed this black friday and installing it once and for all, then selling my stock and ER downpipe to recoup some of the money....

i almost never see them in the classifieds lol
Yeah, it's unlikely to find a Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe for sale used. It's the type of component that would be purchased by a guy who intends to keep his car for a while, like me. It's not typically for someone who leases, installs mods and then sells them before returning the leased car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:09 AM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
The new AA 49 State EPA Certified Hi Flow Catted DP is a great choice also, and less $$ than the FabSpeed

Not knocking the FabSpeed - I have it on one of my cars, and the AA on the other, here in PA

No CEL with either, & they both pass yearly emissions here in PA

Both have excellent fitment

FabSpeed is paired with stock res midpipe + MPerf Exhaust, AA is with AWE Tuning no res Perf midpipes

I must say the AA/AWE is a much better sounding exhaust, but I'm sure that's due to the AWE vs. Mperf & has nothing to do with DP
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
F36GC_NYC159.50
      02-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #14
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
The new AA 49 State EPA Certified Hi Flow Catted DP is a great choice also, and less $$ than the FabSpeed

Not knocking the FabSpeed - I have it on one of my cars, and the AA on the other, here in PA

No CEL with either, & they both pass yearly emissions here in PA

Both have excellent fitment

FabSpeed is paired with stock res midpipe + MPerf Exhaust, AA is with AWE Tuning no res Perf midpipes

I must say the AA/AWE is a much better sounding exhaust, but I'm sure that's due to the AWE vs. Mperf & has nothing to do with DP
its really going to come down to which is cheaper for me. i already have the awe axle back exhaust but stock midpipes...

any sound clips? also did you go straight to perf midpipes with ur exhaust?
      02-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
its really going to come down to which is cheaper for me. i already have the awe axle back exhaust but stock midpipes...

No sound clips

And yes, when I replaced exhaust I went right to perf midpipe+axleback so no comparison to AWE with stock res midpipe
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
F36GC_NYC159.50
      02-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #16
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Quote:

No sound clips

And yes, when I replaced exhaust I went right to perf midpipe+axleback so no comparison to AWE with stock res midpipe
I don't if this help you out...I have N26 awe quad exhaust. I put a scale here 1 - 10. 1 stock 10 as full awe and catless dp.

I drove for 6 month on axle back awe 5. with the midpipe it just got louder by pt or 2 so 7 (both stock dp). what really change is the tone.. with the midpipe it's more deeper tone from raspy axle back.

I compare this to my cousin 428i coupe with catless dp and full awe exhaust with midpipe.

I think the tone is what I like with the midpipe... without it the 4 cyclinder sound like a tin can ricer

I got the midpipe from an unlucky guy that my friend know for $250 . his car got hit on the back while park totalled the car, I saw the wreak there was no trunk space left. it was totally compressed.
Appreciate 1
F36GC_NYC159.50
      02-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
NateCbr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff80m3 View Post
I literally put the VRSF decatted DP on my F30 340i 2 weeks ago and its been 500 miles since then and no CEL for me with the 90 degree spacer I got from amazon for 20 bucks. No tunes, just exhaust.
Download OBD Fusion App and it will tell you if your O2 sensors are ready to test or not.

I had a good week and 250-300mi over summer that I didn't get CEL after resetting my computer. Sometimes it would come on in a couple of days, and sometimes right away. But it was also showing different "potential" codes with the spacer. It was "stuck rich". I'd rather just run one o2 code for exceeding (whatever bs it says). Than run 2-3 o2 codes with a spacer.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #18
NateCbr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
$100+ that's a steal.

Engine swap passing inspection cost around $250 to 400 here in California. I know that much, I use to run with S14 Silvia.

Maybe more now.
Can't bribe anyone in WI. Computer scans your ecu and vin. Can't get around it or I would have cause my buddy has a shop that runs tests
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #19
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IF only it was $100 in nyc, people charge way more, about the same as a mechanic would charge to remove ur aftermarket, put back your OEM, then put your aftermarket one back on.

02-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #20
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't if this help you out...I have N26 awe quad exhaust. I put a scale here 1 - 10. 1 stock 10 as full awe and catless dp.

I drove for 6 month on axle back awe 5. with the midpipe it just got louder by pt or 2 so 7 (both stock dp). what really change is the tone.. with the midpipe it's more deeper tone from raspy axle back.

I compare this to my cousin 428i coupe with catless dp and full awe exhaust with midpipe.

I think the tone is what I like with the midpipe... without it the 4 cyclinder sound like a tin can ricer

I got the midpipe from an unlucky guy that my friend know for $250 . his car got hit on the back while park totalled the car, I saw the wreak there was no trunk space left. it was totally compressed.
well as you know i have the 435(I6) and a catless dp already, im going to be installing the axle back this monday. i hope its enough sound for me, i really didnt want to spend another $700 for a midpipe, its not exactly cheap. i want my downshifts to sound more aggressive and pronounced!

also for $250! that is a steal! i ALMOST got the same deal on here from the classifieds, BUT he had the 440 =( so the midpipe wouldnt fit my car, but i still got a great deal on the axle back from him and the dude was local and kind enough to drop it off to me!!
      02-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #21
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I was trying way too long to figure out OP what OP was talking about. O2 sensor spacers.

I was wondering why would you need a downpipe spacer. Maybe to get some sweet poke on your exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #22
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I was trying way too long to figure out OP what OP was talking about. O2 sensor spacers.

I was wondering why would you need a downpipe spacer. Maybe to get some sweet poke on your exhaust?
Appreciate 0