F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Break Pad reset keeps coming back as unsuccessful
GetBMWParts

05-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
d1mitrov
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Break Pad reset keeps coming back as unsuccessful

Hey guys my pads weren't that worn out but i was getting new rotors so went ahead and changed the pads as well. I left the old sensors in since they weren't tripped. Its been about a month now and the rear brake pad warning came on. I tried to reset it but it comes back with reset unsuccessful. Ive tried multiple times and no luck. You think i need a new sensor? And if so why now all of a sudden? Could it have just gotten damaged from something on the road? I have a new sensor at home but wanted to get some opinions before going to get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

You can try unplugging cleaning and plugging it back in. Otherwise you can put a paper clip between the two holes where the sensor connects to and do the reset.
      05-31-2019, 07:36 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The warning means the sensor was tripped. Once tripped it must be replaced to do a reset. You also may need to clear the fault codes with an OBD diagnostic tool before a reset is possible.
Appreciate 2
ooshnoo877.50
      05-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The warning means the sensor was tripped. Once tripped it must be replaced to do a reset. You also may need to clear the fault codes with an OBD diagnostic tool before a reset is possible.
If you replace the sensor and try to reset and it still says "reset impossible" you'll definitely need a scan tool. For whatever reason the CBS % remaining can hit 255% once the sensor is tripped and it prevents a dashboard reset. Took me months to figure this out until I followed Bill's advice and got an NT510.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Others have found that you need to have the parking brake off when trying the reset.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
joe32811.50
      06-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
d1mitrov
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I replaced the sensor today and it let me do the reset. I guess the sensor got messed up somehow which is weird because we did the brakes almost a month ago and when we checked today the old sensor seemed to be in place and not damaged.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 03:30 AM   #7
joe328
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Others have found that you need to have the parking brake off when trying the reset.
Best advice ever!!! Couldn't reset for days on my G01 X3, went to 3 mechanics with no luck. Hours and hours wasted. Saw this post and attempted reset with Park brake down and WORKED A TREAT!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
MihaiP
Rep
Drives: bmw f48

I recently changed the front and rear brake pads and sensors.I managed to delete the request to replace the front pads but for the back plates I fail.
I tried with the handbrake applied and with it not pulled but I still can't reset it " it comes back with reset unsuccessful" .

I reset it by removing the sensor and putting a clip to make contact between the two wires. But when I insert the sensor the error reappears.
I tried also another sensor but without success.

What to do? Until I changed the plates and the sensor I had no problems. what solutions to try ??
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Function test the sensor with a DMM set to test continuity. It's just a simple wire loop. The car applies voltage to one terminal, it goes through the loop to the other terminal. When the sensor trips it's because the loop was broken at the pad end.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihaiP View Post
I recently changed the front and rear brake pads and sensors.I managed to delete the request to replace the front pads but for the back plates I fail.
I tried with the handbrake applied and with it not pulled but I still can't reset it " it comes back with reset unsuccessful" .

I reset it by removing the sensor and putting a clip to make contact between the two wires. But when I insert the sensor the error reappears.
I tried also another sensor but without success.

What to do? Until I changed the plates and the sensor I had no problems. what solutions to try ??
This is exactly what I was experiencing for months, several new sensors, handbrake playing... none of it worked. As soon as I got the NT510 on it I was able to reset it in moments.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      12-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
MihaiP
Rep
Drives: bmw f48

After countless attempts I succeeded. I removed the sensor from the plug, I used an electrical contact cleaner spray, sprayed in the car plug I left the plug removed for a few minutes and then I reconnected.

After I managed to reset. It seems electrical contacts oxidize over timeand no longer makes proper contact!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #12
EMPTYKIM
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Man. This right here.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 05:12 AM   #13
Larrylotus
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d (F15)

Quote:
Same here, thanks !!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #14
geoffsmobileautoi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 530i

I run into dumb things like this all the time in my shop. 2019 530i, customer states brake service interval light and brake lights are on. Had the vehicle at my shop a week before so I know for a fact the front and rear brakes, rotors and wear sensors are good. Tried to reset the light by holding the trip button blah, blah, blah. Unsuccessful every time. Tried all of the tricks mentioned here i.e. shorting the connector, using a scan tool etc. Nothing worked. Started reading around with the same answers everywhere. Finally found a post where some one had to set the time and date in order to reset his light. That got me thinking about a previous repair I had done on the car about 2 months prior. I replaced the steering wheel vibration generator. I disconnected the battery to keep the air bag from exploding in my face so naturally the date and time would need to be reset. See where this is going? Make sure the date and time are set. Trust me, I wasted 4 hours trying to figure this out before I figured it out with the help of some other smart mechanics out there. Just goes to show even the best mechanics can always use another perspective to help him diagnose a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If the car has Nav it should reset the time via the GPS connection. Mine has always done so.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 04:23 AM   #16
t4ure4n
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xdrive 20d

I hope someone can help me out too.

on my X3 f25, Rear brake pad warning light wan ON meaning the sensor was tripped. I drove for ~150 miles before getting chance to take the car to mechanic.

He changed both front and back brake pads and also claims to have changed the rear brake pad sensor. However, he was unable to reset the warning light. He just told me drive for a while and bring the car again.

At home I tried using ISTA 2-3 times to do CBS reset for rear pad warning light. However, it fails every single time. I also tried to clear fault memory but the 480A12 error with DSC ECU module doesn't clear either.

I have tried with parking brake off as others have suggested. What else can I try?

I am beginning to think that the mechanic hasn't changed the sensor. Any idea how can I check that?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 07:10 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Look at the cable. If it's dirty it's not new.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 05:04 AM   #18
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW GSA 1250 , BMW m340i (soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ure4n View Post
I hope someone can help me out too.

on my X3 f25, Rear brake pad warning light wan ON meaning the sensor was tripped. I drove for ~150 miles before getting chance to take the car to mechanic.

He changed both front and back brake pads and also claims to have changed the rear brake pad sensor. However, he was unable to reset the warning light. He just told me drive for a while and bring the car again.

At home I tried using ISTA 2-3 times to do CBS reset for rear pad warning light. However, it fails every single time. I also tried to clear fault memory but the 480A12 error with DSC ECU module doesn't clear either.

I have tried with parking brake off as others have suggested. What else can I try?

I am beginning to think that the mechanic hasn't changed the sensor. Any idea how can I check that?

Can u send me the Download link u used for the version of ISTA that u used. ?

Also can u go over the steps to access the menus/modules needed ?

Additionally have u ever used esys for cbs resets or is that more for coding changes ?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 05:53 PM   #19
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition, Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffsmobileautoi View Post
I run into dumb things like this all the time in my shop. 2019 530i, customer states brake service interval light and brake lights are on. Had the vehicle at my shop a week before so I know for a fact the front and rear brakes, rotors and wear sensors are good. Tried to reset the light by holding the trip button blah, blah, blah. Unsuccessful every time. Tried all of the tricks mentioned here i.e. shorting the connector, using a scan tool etc. Nothing worked. Started reading around with the same answers everywhere. Finally found a post where some one had to set the time and date in order to reset his light. That got me thinking about a previous repair I had done on the car about 2 months prior. I replaced the steering wheel vibration generator. I disconnected the battery to keep the air bag from exploding in my face so naturally the date and time would need to be reset. See where this is going? Make sure the date and time are set. Trust me, I wasted 4 hours trying to figure this out before I figured it out with the help of some other smart mechanics out there. Just goes to show even the best mechanics can always use another perspective to help him diagnose a problem.
SOB I was going crazy trying to reset this on my G82. I disconnected the battery and I don't have the time set to automatically update. I was about to take my new sensor off and try to return it to bmw. Saved me a bunch time and headache!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 03:58 AM   #20
t4ure4n
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xdrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post
Can u send me the Download link u used for the version of ISTA that u used. ?

Also can u go over the steps to access the menus/modules needed ?

Additionally have u ever used esys for cbs resets or is that more for coding changes ?
I got ISTA from Rutracker website. Just Google "Rutracker" + "ISTA"

For instructions to reset try

I had used it long time to read stuff but never for programming. But there are plenty of people around on these forums who can assist you with that.
Appreciate 0