F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Flashtuned Project 328i - Forged Build + Stage 2+ Turbo
ARMA SPEED

03-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #23
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

cool build, looking forward to seeing the power it makes.

curious about the diff work, you have to machine it open to install the LSD? i feel like i'm just repeating what you said but i'm used to changing through the diff cover and haven't really paid any attention to my diff.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:35 AM   #24
Andypants
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Nice!!! Goals?
Hey mate. So I'm keeping the general goals on the down low for now, but I imagine we'll be pushing north of 400 whp. How much north remains to be seen

@Flashtuned Project BMW 328i M Sport | Stage 2 Tuned via Bootmod3 | Flashtuned Catless DP | Injen Intake | FTP Charge Pipe and Boost Pipe | MST Inlet Pipe | VRSF 5" Stepped IC | Magnaflow Axle Back | Vogtland Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:39 AM   #25
Andypants
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
cool build, looking forward to seeing the power it makes.

curious about the diff work, you have to machine it open to install the LSD? i feel like i'm just repeating what you said but i'm used to changing through the diff cover and haven't really paid any attention to my diff.
Yes I'm looking forward to the HP figure too. It's certainly dragging out and this pandemic isn't helping...

On the LSD front, yes BMW diffs since around 2007 ish have featured welded crown wheels. As such we've got to machine open (carefully) those welds and then tap new bolting holes to mount in the LSD. I'm using a local engineering shop that does industrial gear work to sort this. Assuming we can get it done well I'll be rolling out a commercial offering here in Australia for it.

@Flashtuned Project BMW 328i M Sport | Stage 2 Tuned via Bootmod3 | Flashtuned Catless DP | Injen Intake | FTP Charge Pipe and Boost Pipe | MST Inlet Pipe | VRSF 5" Stepped IC | Magnaflow Axle Back | Vogtland Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:00 AM   #26
Andypants
Rep

Garage List
I thought I'd add my experience in the head and main stud department. Despite having some amazingly valuable input from guys very close to this build, it's still been quite challenging to figure out best course of action.

ARP don't offer a lot of detail on the contents of their kits and there is no off the shelf kit for this engine. As a result it took a great deal of back and forth, plenty of measuring and some great input from N20 mates to get it sussed.

Where we got to - like @Navardi is swapping to 10 x M11 head studs. Rather than keeping the 4 corner studs as M10s. The only reason for this really is ARP simply don't make an M10 stud that would suit the application. The unintended benefit is we end up with 4 larger head studs in the corners.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #27
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andypants View Post
Yes I'm looking forward to the HP figure too. It's certainly dragging out and this pandemic isn't helping...

On the LSD front, yes BMW diffs since around 2007 ish have featured welded crown wheels. As such we've got to machine open (carefully) those welds and then tap new bolting holes to mount in the LSD. I'm using a local engineering shop that does industrial gear work to sort this. Assuming we can get it done well I'll be rolling out a commercial offering here in Australia for it.
Thanks for the insight, now makes since why the mperformace lsd comes with the whole diff assembly
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #28
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

For 400whp, you know...N55...just saying.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:31 AM   #29
Andypants
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
For 400whp, you know...N55...just saying.
Thank you for that incredibly valuable insight mate.

So for those who want to know the motivation behind doing this - I run a BMW tuning and parts business - Flashtuned. We deal with N55s, S55s, B58s amongst many others everyday. We help customers get great results from all of these engines.

However the N20 - to get 400whp - that one is a challenge. And sometimes we like to do things that are challenging because its good fun plus its hard to demonstrate to others that you are good at what you do when you simply do what everyone else is doing.

Appreciate 3