F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 BMW M Performance 18'' brakes price
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Nero7
Second Lieutenant
Nero7's Avatar
47
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

F30 BMW M Performance 18'' brakes price

The price is now available in Germany and Sweden, hope that the M-sport doesn't cost as much. In Sweden these brakes cost 3 326 EUR. I could not find the price in USA, do you guys know if it's cheaper over there?
Attached Images
 
__________________

/// M-Sport 328i // Packages -- Adaptive Drive-- Drive Comfort -- Function -- Visibility // 19" 403M // M-Sport Brakes // Harman Kardon // Head Up Display ///
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
44
Rep
1,544
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

In that case it'll be cheaper to spec it as an option if u're getting M-sport pack. For F20 the performance brakes is Eur600 option in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1163
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
In that case it'll be cheaper to spec it as an option if u're getting M-sport pack. For F20 the performance brakes is Eur600 option in Germany.
Yes, would always be much cheaper from the factory
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
jbres79
Private
2
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: SS/GTI/335xi M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Windsor, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

correct me if i am wrong, but if you order M Sport pkg in USA/CAN it comes with the large Blue 4 piston calipers with "M" logo on the caliper. so you would just need to order the performance rotors. but if you want a a different colour caliper than Blue than you have to order this performance brake package? besides the colour they are the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1163
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbres79 View Post
correct me if i am wrong, but if you order M Sport pkg in USA/CAN it comes with the large Blue 4 piston calipers with "M" logo on the caliper. so you would just need to order the performance rotors. but if you want a a different colour caliper than Blue than you have to order this performance brake package? besides the colour they are the same?
No, those are the M Sport brakes the M Sport brakes should be optional in all markets. The M Sport will come standard with the same brakes as the other lines

The Parts system still shows the 335i M Sport Brakes comes standard with the drilled rotors like the M Performance retrofit kit. But on some countries 328i they show solid discs.

So we have to see when order guides are available exactly what comes
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
jbres79
Private
2
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: SS/GTI/335xi M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Windsor, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
No, those are the M Sport brakes the M Sport brakes should be optional in all markets. The M Sport will come standard with the same brakes as the other lines

The Parts system still shows the 335i M Sport Brakes comes standard with the drilled rotors like the M Performance retrofit kit. But on some countries 328i they show solid discs.

So we have to see when order guides are available exactly what comes
ok, thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Grumpy514
Captain
Grumpy514's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: 14' 535i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
No, those are the M Sport brakes the M Sport brakes should be optional in all markets. The M Sport will come standard with the same brakes as the other lines

The Parts system still shows the 335i M Sport Brakes comes standard with the drilled rotors like the M Performance retrofit kit. But on some countries 328i they show solid discs.

So we have to see when order guides are available exactly what comes
When was it actually confirmed that the M sport package includes the M Sport brakes? I remember reading multiple threads where people said it will most likely be an additional option for the M sport package.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
8
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: F31 on order
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

That pricing is actually a decent deal when you consider the price of aftermarket BBK's, especially Brembo.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Ron Scott
Captain
68
Rep
632
Posts

Drives: 2013 335 M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

From a performance perspective--aside from with extreme driving--what are we buying with this?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Elk
Major
31
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Nothing. These brakes are for prestige only on a street car.

As an aside, drilled rotors provide less performance than solid rotors. Drilled were helpful decades ago when out-gassing of pad materials was an issue. The holes allowed the gasses to leave through the rotors rather than partially floating the pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
8
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: F31 on order
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Nothing. These brakes are for prestige only on a street car.
You're kidding, right? These are better than the standard brakes in every way.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
Elk
Major
31
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

No, I am not kidding.

Remember the question, "aside from with extreme driving--what are we buying with this?"

On a street car, these brakes are for show.

With the right pads matched to conditions, tires and the road course in question, they can be of benefit to a driver of sufficient skill to take advantage of them. Even then, the stock brakes are fine as long as you get proper cooling to them, choose the correct pads, etc.

Even an extremely aggressive drive on the street is not going to be held back by the stock brakes.

By bigger brakes if you like the show, but do not fool yourself you need them or can even use them for the street.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
8
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: F31 on order
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

While there is not yet any data released to prove it, I can guarantee that these brakes provide shorter stopping distances and result in a better, more consistent brake feel than the standard brakes. You don't need to be a racecar driver to appreciate those benefits. If they help me stop in time to avoid an accident, they are worth it. And yes, they do look better as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #14
sleedawg
Private
8
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i & 2011 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairfield County, CT

iTrader: (0)

For 335i owners, these may be for "show" and you might get minimal improvement in braking as it's essentially the same caliper with a different brake pad compound and rotor.

But for the 328i drivers these are a major improvement over the factory setup. 328i owners have floating single piston calipers, smaller rotors, and a street brake pad that is not the most aggressive. Stopping distances on the 328i have been reported to be long in many tests. I personally have noticed the longer distances in the 328i vs. even the last generation e90 328i.

Would a different pad setup benefit the 2012 328i on the street? Without a doubt. Would this performance kit help on the street for a 328i owner? No question. Return On Investment with the performance kit vs a different pad compound for a street driven 328i? Dollar for dollar cost effectiveness... no doubt a different pad compound would win.

For street driving, these may be overkill... but I have to say from jumping from a F30 328i to a 1M or M3, it's amazing how much you appreciate the brakes in the M-cars the second you touch the brakes when you need them even on the street.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
44
Rep
1,544
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

E90 Fleet,

I remember the US-spec M-sport brakes for the 328i is smaller than ROW-spec M-sport brakes, pls confirm exact size.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
Elk
Major
31
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
While there is not yet any data released to prove it, I can guarantee that these brakes provide shorter stopping distances and result in a better, more consistent brake feel than the standard brakes.
Shorter stopping distance is unlikely. Once a given set of brakes can accomplish full tire lock-up and allow proper modulation, bigger brakes cannot stop the car more quickly; threshold braking is threshold braking.

Better/greater modulation is often accomplished with less aggressive pads and brakes as the difference between light braking and full-on is greater. Good race car drivers can handle a small range of modulation, but a full on race car's bakes feel almost like a switch between no brakes and full on to a street driver.

If the feel is inconsistent on the street there are other issues - such as old or wet brake fluid.

Of course, if you like the boy-racer look - go for it. Twenty inch wheels also look good to many, even though they decrease performance (weight, drag, poor tire ratio, etc.).

Sleedawg's analysis with respect to the 328's brakes raises some great points. This car could use a bit more aggressive pads. A lot of owners however will not put up with the increased brake dust, etc. that comes with this however.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
ATX78703
Major
28
Rep
1,001
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Pistons, pads and tires make a much bigger difference than rotors, for track or street use. I think the m-performance brakes would sig upgrade the pistons for the 328i, at least, can't remember about the 335i.
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
52
Rep
1,549
Posts

Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

iTrader: (0)

That's very pricey isn't you. So to understand correctly.. when speccing up the parts for the car, choosing the M Performance Brakes will give you a better deal? 2k Euro seems steep. I could go for Brembo's or Stop
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #19
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
8
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: F31 on order
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
That's very pricey isn't you. So to understand correctly.. when speccing up the parts for the car, choosing the M Performance Brakes will give you a better deal? 2k Euro seems steep. I could go for Brembo's or Stop
Doubt you could get such nice aftermarket brakes for that price, assuming its all 4 corners.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #20
okolisr
Private First Class
okolisr's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
In that case it'll be cheaper to spec it as an option if u're getting M-sport pack. For F20 the performance brakes is Eur600 option in Germany.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Yes, would always be much cheaper from the factory
Don't forget, if you order the M-Sport Brake option from the factory, it SHOULD be much cheaper because BMW saves the cost of including the original brakes. In other words, you are buying just one brake system, instead of buying two with the retrofit option.

The differences and incremental cost between the 335i's standard brake system and the factory M-Sport Brake system are not that significant (basically only the rear calipers and the rotors are different -- and the rotors are not drilled on the factory version). A 600 EUR ($900-$1000) price for the M-sport brake option would be plenty extra.

On the other hand, BMW might logically charge more for the M-Sport brakes on the 328i, because there is more of a cost difference versus the standard brakes. Or maybe this is why BMW is probably using smaller, less expensive rotors on the 328i M-sport brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #21
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
52
Rep
1,549
Posts

Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

iTrader: (0)

I'll definitely place it in the order to see if it's cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
derekh929
Major
derekh929's Avatar
Scotland
281
Rep
1,121
Posts

Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
Don't forget, if you order the M-Sport Brake option from the factory, it SHOULD be much cheaper because BMW saves the cost of including the original brakes. In other words, you are buying just one brake system, instead of buying two with the retrofit option.

The differences and incremental cost between the 335i's standard brake system and the factory M-Sport Brake system are not that significant (basically only the rear calipers and the rotors are different -- and the rotors are not drilled on the factory version). A 600 EUR ($900-$1000) price for the M-sport brake option would be plenty extra.

On the other hand, BMW might logically charge more for the M-Sport brakes on the 328i, because there is more of a cost difference versus the standard brakes. Or maybe this is why BMW is probably using smaller, less expensive rotors on the 328i M-sport brakes.
Sound right to me BMW getting good on making money on extra's learned well with the Mini, any news on this with uk cars
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST