F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > el_couzin's N55 mods and logs thread
GetBMWParts

07-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30

Arrow el_couzin's N55 mods and logs thread

Hey everyone,

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to post my logs in a thread so maybe others can look at it if needed and/or post feedbacks/comments on them. I don't plan to go big on mods or to reach 700whp but who knows

I mostly do this for fun as I enjoy to read about other projects, issues (resolved or not), mods comparasion and difference between mods and stock parts.

I might go FBO part by part, and take log after every modifications. as I said, I won't go big on mod, it is only for fun and good thing if it is useful to someone else at the same time. If someone reach my thread after using the search button, then mission accomplished with my little contribution to the community

I own a 2015 f30 335i xdrive with MPPK (MPE, intake and tune) with 8spd AT

My logs stated as stock are with the MPPK alone. all my logs are on 91oct, same road but, outside temp might of course be different between logs.

feel free to point out things that might be a good thing for me and the community to be aware of or if I should add specific details.

I'll keep add updates on the thread gradually as soon as I have something new to say or log to post.

Don't hesitate to comment or ask questions and one last thing, I'm french Canadian so it is possible to see typo or weird syntax from time to time. For those who might makes fun of me, peut-être seulement essayer d'écrire en français question que je vous renvoie l'a pareil!!

here goes the logs:

stock, 4th gear:
https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/stock-4th-1

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/stock-...og=0&data=3-14

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/stock-...og=0&data=4-26

stock, 1st->4th gear:
https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/stock-...og=0&data=4-26

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/stock-...og=0&data=4-20

those previous logs were with the oem air filter with the grey/charcoal layer on it. I've change the filter for a AFE dry drop in filter, still with the oem Mperformance airbox

4th gear + dry afe filter:
https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/4th-af...og=0&data=4-20

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/2-4th-...og=0&data=4-25 (NEW)

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/3-4th-...g=0&data=13-25 (NEW with shell 91oct)

1st->4th gear with dry afe filter:
https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/1-4th-...og=0&data=4-20

I've then installed the BMS JB1 for few logs, I've done 4 logs with the JB1 install but I found that the difference wasn't very noticeable at first, I was hopping for a bigger difference. Major differences, I was able hear the turbo spool a lot more and also the DV doing his job. I've then removed the JB1 after few days. Maybe that my spark plugs are getting old or something else. Maybe that 91oct for MPPK + jb1 is a bit limit.

4th gear with dry afe filter + bms jb1:

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/4th-ge...og=0&data=4-25

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/2-4th-gear-filter-stg1

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/3-4th-gear-filter-et-jb1

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/4-4th-gear-filter-jb1

On the first log with the jb1, we can see and I also felt it that as soon as I floored the throttle, there's a spike in the timing and I felt the hesitation. It also happened one or two other times while I was cruising at 115 120kmh, some kind of misfire. no logs for those unfortunately because the MHD adapter wasn't pluggued(forgot to say that I use the MHD monitor license).

regarding the JB1, I thought that I was supposed to see the difference on boost (11psi with MPPK than an extra 3 or 4 psi with the JB1) but I've learned that because the MHD read the boost directly through CANbus , it won't reflect the added boost provided by the piggyback. I'll probably purchased the bms data cable so I can read boost and at the same time, check if It was changed by the previous owner as I purchased it used. It seems that by default it should be set to 4psi. If it is the case, maybe that 15psi on a stock N55 with 91oct gas it a bit to high.

I've read somewhere that we can lower the boost from the jb1 but we can't increase it. Does it mean that if it is set to 4psi, then I set it to 3psi, I won't be able to go back at 4psi after? or only that we can't add more than 4psi total with a jb1? feel free to let me know if someone knows.

Last edited by el_couzin; 08-29-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

damn, I thought that I would get comments about the JB1 and the timing after few days
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

I think the bottom line is that you are losing any power you gained from the extra boost with the timing corrections. As you said your 91 probably isnt good enough to support the higher boost, especially when the DME doesn't actually know the real boost and has to react to the extra unexpected air with positive STFTs and timing. It also looks like you have stock IC because that's a huge IAT rise and frankly far too much boost for stock IC. Getting and IC will help, but it's not going to solve the fundamental problem(s) with a piggyback, especially with limited fuel quality.
Appreciate 3
n55david1295.50
AmuroRay2272.00
      08-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I think the bottom line is that you are losing any power you gained from the extra boost with the timing corrections. As you said your 91 probably isnt good enough to support the higher boost, especially when the DME doesn't actually know the real boost and has to react to the extra unexpected air with positive STFTs and timing. It also looks like you have stock IC because that's a huge IAT rise and frankly far too much boost for stock IC. Getting and IC will help, but it's not going to solve the fundamental problem(s) with a piggyback, especially with limited fuel quality.
what this guy said
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:02 PM   #5
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As usual, thanks for the support.

Yes I'm still on the stock IC for the moment. I was thinking to swap it for a CTS IC but I think they are a bit heavy. like 40lbs according to their web page but it's maybe with the packaging. I'm not quite interested, for the moment lol, to spend more cash for a wagner comp EVO1. their page says it weights 30lbs. The BMS IC seems to best bang for the buck but I'm not sure about the weight and I read somewhere that someone already had fitment issue.

here's all the IAT from my 4th gear logs for a quick comparison:

temp 57 59°f:

90 -> 104 (14°f)
91 -> 106 (15°f)
81 -> 95 (14°f)

temp 42 44°:

57 -> 75 (18°f)

51 53°f:

72 -> 88 (16°f)

AVG: rise of 15°f

temp 64 68°f +jb1:

90 -> 115 (25°f)
95 -> 122 (27°f)
88 -> 111 (23°f)
88 -> 115 (27°f)

AVG: rise of 25°f with JB1 ( also hotter outside temp)

Regarding the ''octane issue'', I'll begin to test 91oct from different gas station hoping that I can see a positive difference on timing by staying on 91oct. It sucks that I don't have access to 93 or better at the pump and, I don't want to daily drive my car on octanium 24/7

I read good results on octanium but also saw a bunch of videos/photos that the octanium can left a brownish orange coating on internal parts of the combustion chamber and that, it's a big no no.

When I compare the STFT from with and without the JB1, yes it is higher with the jb1 but, from some of my logs without the JB1, it differs a bit. What is considered as a normal STFT % and what is considered as ''something is very wrong''?

with the JB1, my STFT almost reached 21% before 3500rpm then begins to decrease gradually. Without the jb1, it seem to be different from time to time. hard to see consistencies.

Last edited by el_couzin; 08-05-2021 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_couzin View Post
Quote:
As usual, thanks for the support.

Yes I'm still on the stock IC for the moment. I was thinking to swap it for a CTS IC but I think they are a bit heavy. like 40lbs according to their web page but it's maybe with the packaging. I'm not quite interested, for the moment lol, to spend more cash for a wagner comp EVO1. their page says it weights 30lbs. The BMS IC seems to best bang for the buck but I'm not sure about the weight and I read somewhere that someone already had fitment issue.

here's all the IAT from my 4th gear logs for a quick comparison:

temp 57 59°f:

90 -> 104 (14°f)
91 -> 106 (15°f)
81 -> 95 (14°f)

temp 42 44°:

57 -> 75 (18°f)

51 53°f:

72 -> 88 (16°f)

AVG: rise of 15°f

temp 64 68°f +jb1:

90 -> 115 (25°f)
95 -> 122 (27°f)
88 -> 111 (23°f)
88 -> 115 (27°f)

AVG: rise of 25°f with JB1 ( also hotter outside temp)

Regarding the ''octane issue'', I'll begin to test 91oct from different gas station hoping that I can see a positive difference on timing by staying on 91oct. It sucks that I don't have access to 93 or better at the pump and, I don't want to daily drive my car on octanium 24/7

I read good results on octanium but also saw a bunch of videos/photos that the octanium can left a brownish orange coating on internal parts of the combustion chamber and that, it's a big no no.

When I compare the STFT from with and without the JB1, yes it is higher with the jb1 but, from few of my logs without the JB1, it differs a bit. What is considered as a normal STFT % and what is considered as ''something is very wrong''?

with the JB1, my STFT almost reached 21% before 3500rpm then begins to decrease gradually. Without the jb1, it seem to be different from time to time.
I am running the MAD intercooler for several months now. I was very impressed with the build and finish and although I don't have data logging capabilities, I expect it should perform just as well as bms, Cts, and any other ic in that price range since they are all basically the same design.
      08-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
I am running the MAD intercooler for several months now. I was very impressed with the build and finish and although I don't have data logging capabilities, I expect it should perform just as well as bms, Cts, and any other ic in that price range since they are all basically the same design.
It does not.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=809
MAD 5" unit.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...458121&page=38
Post# 828 Wagner Evo 1

CTS is too small, AA is too small - all of these ICs save maybe the BMS are made for stock or stage 1 cars - not FBO/Stage2
      08-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
AsianBill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:
It does not.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=809
MAD 5" unit.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...21&page=38
Post# 828 Wagner Evo 1

CTS is too small, AA is too small - all of these ICs save maybe the BMS are made for stock or stage 1 cars - not FBO/Stage2
Adding to this. BMS 5" was not up to the task of FBO/Bm3 stage 2 when it came to IATs. Switched to VRSF race and my IATs are consistently low/~15-20 above ambient when moving and the temps lower when doing a pull

CD919 Custom E40/flex fuel tune | catless downpipe | TU Pump | XHP Stage 3 | MHD flexfuel kit
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2272.00
      08-05-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Quote:
It does not.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=809
MAD 5" unit.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...21&page=38
Post# 828 Wagner Evo 1

Some of you guys are undoubtedly pushing the cars harder than I am and running more aggressive tunes. In those cases, you probably do need a bigger ic to keep your temps down. No argument there. My point is just, anything is better than stock. The post you linked to proves that. And you can get decent performance without spending a ton. Op definitely needs a bigger ic. How big is the question.

Next poster in that thread sums it up well:
"Thank you for taking the time to post your logs, it looks like a 50-60% improvement over stock without turbo lag

In my opinion, it's a good choice for stage 1 drivers.

More advanced applications will need a larger intercooler."

I agree with those comments, plus, if he can't get good gas, he probably shouldn't be running a stage 2 tune, right?
      08-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

You can run stage 2 91 Oct.
Most people don't run into turbo lag regardless of the IC they choose - the "bigger IC more lag" is true in some instances and not the rule.

But why compromise? I'm not a fan of any small/stage 1 intercooler because a Stage 2 intercooler will offer even better performance through lower IATs, and be consistently lower (good when in higher ambient) vs a smaller core, have no tradeoffs in drivability and cost only a little more, if at all.

Stage 2:
VRSF Competition 6.5"
CSF 5.5"
ER
DO88

Stage 1 (Not recommended)
AA
CTS Stepped
MAD 5"
Standard ARM (pre revision)
      08-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You can run stage 2 91 Oct.
Most people don't run into turbo lag regardless of the IC they choose - the "bigger IC more lag" is true in some instances and not the rule.

But why compromise? I'm not a fan of any small/stage 1 intercooler because a Stage 2 intercooler will offer even better performance through lower IATs, and be consistently lower (good when in higher ambient) vs a smaller core, have no tradeoffs in drivability and cost only a little more, if at all.

Stage 2:
VRSF Competition 6.5"
CSF 5.5"
ER
DO88

Stage 1 (Not recommended)
AA
CTS Stepped
MAD 5"
Standard ARM (pre revision)
+1, just get a big IC. I would not be concerned about IC weight at all when it comes to IC and IAT control is far more important than a few dozen pounds (at most) added to overall car weight. The VRSF is cost effective and you could even give the MAD 7'' a shot if you wanted to try something new, its 20% off right now. There's also not really any concerns with turbo lag on stock turbo, especially if you get an inlet.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #12
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for all the comments. very useful

I forgot to say that I don't plan for the moment to go stage2 or stage2+ but, as every car enthusiast already knows, we should never say never.

I was to run with the bms jb1 but I don't close the door on the MHD stg1 as I already own the wifi adapter. If I can find a good receipe that work well to my taste by keeping the jb1, I won't have to purchase the mhd flasher and map licenses. By the same time, the money saved there could be put on other parts and maintenance. But I'm also open to sell the jb1 and buy mhd as the flash seem to put the overall car management in better hands compared to a piggyback. future will tell...

I already have a BMS chargepipe but it's not installed yet. I prefer to wait until I must change it due to the failure from the OEM cp. It's sure that if I change the IC, I'll also swap the charge pipe at the same time.

I'll give a look to MAD's IC for sure. Does anybody already saw someone with fitment issue with those IC? From what I saw about the BMS charge pipe, fitment issue isn't a problem.

As I said, I already remove the jb1 for the moment and I'll start to test 91oct from Shell instead of ultramar. I'll do other logs for sure so we can compare both.

I'll probably also purchase the bms data cable so I could actually see the real boost from the jb1. If it is set to 4psi, I'll probably decrease it to 3psi to have a chance to reach better timing on 91oct.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #13
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

When I compare the STFT from with and without the JB1, yes it is higher with the jb1 but, from some of my logs without the JB1, it differs a bit. What is considered as a normal STFT % and what is considered as ''something is very wrong''?

with the JB1, my STFT almost reached 21% before 3500rpm then begins to decrease gradually. Without the jb1, it seem to be different from time to time. hard to see consistencies
and regarding the STFT, any comments?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
and regarding the STFT, any comments?
The higher STFTs from the piggyback is because it is tricking the DME. The DME doesn't know how much boost/air is actually going into the engine - it is seeing a lower number than actual boost - so it therefore as to react to this extra air and add more fuel using fuel trims. This is fundamentally because of the way the piggyback works. It's not necessarily a problem in itself but high fuel trims in either direction is not ideal, and remember fuel trims are reactive, so the AFR has to already be off in order for fuel trims to kick in.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:16 PM   #15
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The higher STFTs from the piggyback is because it is tricking the DME. The DME doesn't know how much boost/air is actually going into the engine - it is seeing a lower number than actual boost - so it therefore as to react to this extra air and add more fuel using fuel trims. This is fundamentally because of the way the piggyback works. It's not necessarily a problem in itself but high fuel trims in either direction is not ideal, and remember fuel trims are reactive, so the AFR has to already be off in order for fuel trims to kick in.

good good. So I shouldn't be worried too much about it in the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #16
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

I've edited the original post with new logs, nothing major.

this is the first log since I've switched to shell Vpower 91oct.

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/3-4th-...og=0&data=4-25

At first sight, I can't say that timing is better then ultramar 91oct(all other logs). very similar

Last edited by el_couzin; 08-30-2021 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've edited the original post with new logs, nothing major.

this is the first log since I've switched to shell Vpower 91oct.

https://datazap.me/u/elcouzin/3-4th-...g=0&data=13-25

At first sight, I can't say that timing is better then ultramar 91oct(all other logs). very similar
Link doesn't lead to a specific log so not sure what you are referring to
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 12:31 PM   #18
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Link doesn't lead to a specific log so not sure what you are referring to
my bad! it's now fixed.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 12:52 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Did you have a specific question or concern? Is the JB1 still set on +4 psi? Yes there are some timing corrections but it doesnt look too bad considering you are running an aggressive piggyback target on 91
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

not really. I've finally removed the jb1 for the moment until I can find better gaz. the new log is with shell 91oct instead of ultramar91 (without jb1, mppk only). I posted it only to show that at first sight, when we compare both log without the jb1 and with ultramar VS shell, both timing are similar. so even with shell, that is supposed to be better then ultramar, I still have timing correction so not good enough to run with jb1.

I've posted the new log mainly to help someone who might want to compare both shell and ultramar 91oct.

As long as I cannot find better gaz that will give me good timing on mppk OR that I still run the oem IC, I won't reinstall the jb1.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #21
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
not really. I've finally removed the jb1 for the moment until I can find better gaz. the new log is with shell 91oct instead of ultramar91 (without jb1, mppk only). I posted it only to show that at first sight, when we compare both log without the jb1 and with ultramar VS shell, both timing are similar. so even with shell, that is supposed to be better then ultramar, I still have timing correction so not good enough to run with jb1.

I've posted the new log mainly to help someone who might want to compare both shell and ultramar 91oct.

As long as I cannot find better gaz that will give me good timing on mppk OR that I still run the oem IC, I won't reinstall the jb1.
Fuel quality is going to be your biggest constraint to making more power, no matter which approach you take. We deal with the same thing in California. An IC will help (and will help more the more boost you add), but you can only do so much with octane limitations. Checking for local E85 is probably the easiest solution, as i don't really consider fuel additives suitable for long term daily use, although some do.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #22
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep

use an octane booster daily isn't an option for me since I saw the video of someone who shows the internal parts of his engine coated with a weird orange stuff after using VP octanium(or boostane, I don't remember). Could be his fault if he messed up the ratio.

One of my friend drive his corvette with the torco booster with 91oct, he states this is an amazing product. I might try to convince him to drop few onces in my tank for a log to see if it helps the timing. I don't think that few sips can hurt the engine... well, I hope not. lol

I don't have access to anything with more than 91oct in my area and the nearest gas station with 93~94, it's a 2 hours drive.
Appreciate 0