F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B48 (320i/330i/330e lci) exhaust mod?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
B48 (320i/330i/330e lci) exhaust mod?

So, I have the 330e - but this is relevant for anyone else with the 4cyl B48 engine as well, typically new (lci) 320i or 330i cars.

At least for the 330e there are basically no performance exhausts available, and the original exhaust is quite beefy (looks like 3" all the way), but silent. So I'm considering to remove the mid muffler and/or resonator, and was wondering if anyone has tried this on the B48, and what effect it had. I've seen threads and videos on the pre-lci engine (n20), but not much of the B48.

Interested in experiences, videos, anything.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I have not seen it done yet on your car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #3
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I have not seen it done yet on your car
I visited an exhaust shop yesterday to discuss this, and he said he could replace the mid muffler and/or the resonator with a straight pipe, but he was unsure of the result. Claimed that have seen several older BMWs where this had been done, and the "result had not been what they had hoped for". He had however no experience with this car, and said it may or may not work.

He was impressed with the original exhaust, and was almost reluctant to do anything with it, but said it was up to me, and that it was reversible.

Any suggestions on what I should try first? Mid muffler, resonator, or both? If noone has any idea what will happen, I'm thinking perhaps try just the muffler first, a bit worried that I'll get drone if I remove the resonator.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
MrMarvin
electrified
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330e -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
I visited an exhaust shop yesterday to discuss this, and he said he could replace the mid muffler and/or the resonator with a straight pipe, but he was unsure of the result. Claimed that have seen several older BMWs where this had been done, and the "result had not been what they had hoped for". He had however no experience with this car, and said it may or may not work.

He was impressed with the original exhaust, and was almost reluctant to do anything with it, but said it was up to me, and that it was reversible.

Any suggestions on what I should try first? Mid muffler, resonator, or both? If noone has any idea what will happen, I'm thinking perhaps try just the muffler first, a bit worried that I'll get drone if I remove the resonator.
I'm also looking to do some exhaust mods, but the first thing i'm going to do is the exhaust flap mod, basically disconnecting the flap in the open position to open the second exhaust on idle and below 2500rpm.

I haven't had time to do it yet since i need raise it up, and have someone push the accelerator at the same time. But i will do it and report back as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvin View Post
I'm also looking to do some exhaust mods, but the first thing i'm going to do is the exhaust flap mod, basically disconnecting the flap in the open position to open the second exhaust on idle and below 2500rpm.

I haven't had time to do it yet since i need raise it up, and have someone push the accelerator at the same time. But i will do it and report back as soon as possible.
read about that, but most seem to think there is little to no difference, and mostly only while the engine is cold (?). But will be interesting to hear the result.

I'm thinking actually keeping the flap is a good thing after doing other mods (like removing mid muffler), as it will limit the sound on low rpms.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
I see that I never updated this post. I've removed the mid muffler with a straight pipe and also did the flap-mod. It's now more throaty on idle and during cold start, and slightly louder on full throttle, but to be honest the difference isn't very big.

Inside the car during cruise speed there is absolutely no difference, and no added drone.

Would still like some more sound, but not sure what to do. I suspect removing the remaining resonator won't change much, so I guess what remains is some kind of custom rear muffler job.

I'd be interested in replacing the downpipe with one with a race cat as well (emissions requirements means I can't replace it with a catless one), but the only one I can find is from supersprint and it's crazy expensive..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #7
MR1818
Private First Class
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i LCI

I own a 330i LCI and have did a custom valvetronic exhaust.. Also am using a 3.5" downpipe and a 3" piping all the way to the axle back..
it do drones but well somethings there is something u have to give up for another thing.. but indeed the sound is perfect for me...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
fupsaker
Norway
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 330i xDrive

Garage List
I have a 330i LCI and have the 340 exhaust, it sounds meaner, deeper and louder. I love it.
      01-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Thadoodz
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

Hey guys, newbie here. Ive been thinking about straight piping and muffler delete my 330e. Would appreciate if you guys could share your opinions. I wanted a beefier sound as now its so silent...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #10
MR1818
Private First Class
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanazmi1990 View Post
Hey guys, newbie here. Ive been thinking about straight piping and muffler delete my 330e. Would appreciate if you guys could share your opinions. I wanted a beefier sound as now its so silent...
bro.. its a hybrid.. surely it is quiet.. you can do straight pipes for your car but not sure if it will interfere with the system or not.. stay stock the best for hybrid....
      01-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #11
Thadoodz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR1818 View Post
bro.. its a hybrid.. surely it is quiet.. you can do straight pipes for your car but not sure if it will interfere with the system or not.. stay stock the best for hybrid....
Fair point. I'm on the fence.. been contemplating for almost a year to do it, and I'm just too worried about whats gonna happened lol. Just wondering if any of the owners of the 330e has ever done it.. another option is to customize/upgrade the exhaust system which is super expensive. Hmm. Thanks for the reply bro!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:57 AM   #12
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
That it's a hybrid isn't really relevant here. The engine and exhaust don't care about that.

I removed the mid muffler and replaced the rear muffler with a magnaflow straight through design. Great result, still quiet on low rpms, and really opens up when you floor it. Deep note on idle too.

I also added the bms intake kit, which gives you intake suction sound and turbo flutter when you release the gas, if that's your thing 😊
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #13
Thadoodz
Rep

Quote:
That it's a hybrid isn't really relevant here. The engine and exhaust don't care about that.

I removed the mid muffler and replaced the rear muffler with a magnaflow straight through design. Great result, still quiet on low rpms, and really opens up when you floor it. Deep note on idle too.

I also added the bms intake kit, which gives you intake suction sound and turbo flutter when you release the gas, if that's your thing ��
Yesss! A fellow 330e finally , I bet you understand how I feel. I do love the quietness of the car don't get me wrong, but I just want it to 'roar' a lil bit when I feel like driving aggresively.. at times. Haha

I see, do you mind sharing a picture of your setup or maybe a video of the exhaust sound? (if it's cool with ya)

Q:

1) Mid muffler meaning the resonator at the middle is it? // safe to say you "straight piped" your exhaust? (Sorry for the noob question)
2) Do you see any diff performance wise?
3) How long have you had it/ any problems so far?

YOU READ MY MIND. Bms intake is definitely my next step! Once I can solve the exhaust 'issue' that is haha. I've seen too much f30 mods on youtube I guess...

Last edited by Thadoodz; 01-22-2019 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Thadoodz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadoodz View Post
Yesss! A fellow 330e finally , I bet you understand how I feel. I do love the quietness of the car don't get me wrong, but I just want it to 'roar' a lil bit when I feel like driving aggresively.. at times. Haha

I see, do you mind sharing a picture of your setup or maybe a video of the exhaust sound? (if it's cool with ya)

Q:

1) Mid muffler meaning the resonator at the middle is it? // safe to say you "straight piped" your exhaust? (Sorry for the noob question)
2) Do you see any diff performance wise?
3) How long have you had it/ any problems so far?

YOU READ MY MIND. Bms intake is definitely my next step! Once I can solve the exhaust 'issue' that is haha. I've seen too much f30 mods on youtube I guess...

Brooo I think I've seen a couple of your vids on youtube! Haha. And I did asked you a question on your vid before regarding you customization!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:50 AM   #15
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Brooo I think I've seen a couple of your vids on youtube! Haha. And I did asked you a question on your vid before regarding you customization!
Yep it's some on youtube. Not really good videos, hard to record properly.

Basically the cold start is really loud, while when the engine is warmed up the idle is not very loud but deep and smooth.

Driving around it's reasonably quiet, a bit of drone in comfort mode, but if you change the transmission to sport it's almost no drone whatsoever even in highway speeds.

If you put the pedal to the floor it's really loud, so it's a great combination.

The BMS intake adds turbo intake sounds + "flutter" sound when you go off the gas.

As for the modifications: The mid muffler (in the middle of the exhaust system) has been replaced with a straight pipe, the rear muffler (under the trunk) has been replaced with a magnaflow that is about half the size of the original, and has a straight through design (the pipe is open all the way and you can see straight through it). The rear pipes was replaced with welded on 2x3", so the flap is removed alltogether.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #16
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see you're in Malaysia. These guys seem to be doing custom downpipes and probably full exhausts for 330e: https://www.facebook.com/pg/SUPERCIR...64704626874691
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #17
Thadoodz
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Yep it's some on youtube. Not really good videos, hard to record properly.

Basically the cold start is really loud, while when the engine is warmed up the idle is not very loud but deep and smooth.

Driving around it's reasonably quiet, a bit of drone in comfort mode, but if you change the transmission to sport it's almost no drone whatsoever even in highway speeds.

If you put the pedal to the floor it's really loud, so it's a great combination.

The BMS intake adds turbo intake sounds + "flutter" sound when you go off the gas.

As for the modifications: The mid muffler (in the middle of the exhaust system) has been replaced with a straight pipe, the rear muffler (under the trunk) has been replaced with a magnaflow that is about half the size of the original, and has a straight through design (the pipe is open all the way and you can see straight through it). The rear pipes was replaced with welded on 2x3", so the flap is removed alltogether.

I see, thank you for the detail explaination! I probably will replicate on your customization if you dont mind because I don't personally know who else had successfully done it on their 330e. By doing so (your exhaust mod), will it decrease the performance and make it neccessary for me to tune my car? That's what most exhaust shop told me, might happened. And oh, if I remove the flap, will the 'check engine light' turn on? I'm thinking of tuning the car much later in the future. Appreciate the assistance bro!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #18
Thadoodz
Rep

Quote:
I see you're in Malaysia. These guys seem to be doing custom downpipes and probably full exhausts for 330e: https://www.facebook.com/pg/SUPERCIR...64704626874691
Yes, I've contacted them. But they don't have videos on the results (that's what the salesman told me), and the price is on the high side.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 02:46 AM   #19
steve498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I've done this deleting the two mid pipes. On startup it's very loud but after a minute, it's only about 10-15% louder than stock. Not worth it in my opinion looking back. I put it back and removed the backbox but it was too loud and droney. (I believe the backbox is different size on a 330e due to the battery so your results may differ).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #20
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see, thank you for the detail explaination! I probably will replicate on your customization if you dont mind because I don't personally know who else had successfully done it on their 330e. By doing so (your exhaust mod), will it decrease the performance and make it neccessary for me to tune my car? That's what most exhaust shop told me, might happened. And oh, if I remove the flap, will the 'check engine light' turn on? I'm thinking of tuning the car much later in the future. Appreciate the assistance bro!
Replicate all you want. My next step is to add a downpipe with a high flow cat (ordered last week), and probably reinstall the mid pipe so the total sound volume isn't too loud.

Removing the flap will probably not give a check engine light, to be sure I ordered this 18302411427Exhaust Flap Actuator Plug Cover that the connector adjusting the flap plugs into. Not sure whether it actually does anything, but at least it protects the connector. '

My next step (downpipe) will however throw a Check engine light which will need to be disabled / supressed.

EDIT: No need for a tune, and no decrease in performance.

Last edited by hybris; 02-17-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve498 View Post
I've done this deleting the two mid pipes. On startup it's very loud but after a minute, it's only about 10-15% louder than stock. Not worth it in my opinion looking back. I put it back and removed the backbox but it was too loud and droney. (I believe the backbox is different size on a 330e due to the battery so your results may differ).
I agree, I did only the midpipe first as well, not much difference. But replacing the back box with a magnaflow muffler was just right. Hardly any drone.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #22
Janske21
Rep

I have a rear muffler delete done to my 330e.
Sounds great. I also think about putting a catless downpipe on my car
in combination with a stage 2 tuning.

Result after stage2
Appreciate 1
hybris204.50