F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > HELP!!!!!!!! Changed spark plugs, engine running rough
proTUNING Freaks

10-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #23
jadis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I checked everything, inspected hoses, wires, coil seating etc. Been doing some research and I am learning this has been a well documented problem without well documented answers.

One thread talked about the computer adapting to old plugs and now the new plugs are throwing it off and I need to clear the adaptation.

Another talked about the MAF needing to be reset. Unplugged it and ran engine. Sounded better but after a few mins returned to rough idle, but car might be driveable without the MAF hooked up.

Another had the O2 sensor replaced to solve.

Either way it is beginning to sound like software issue somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #24
bentobox
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-sport w/ track pkg

This sounds like a similar problem that I had with my Volvo S60R. I replaced the sparkplugs with the OEM recommended gap and the car ran rough. The problem was the boost pressure blowing out the spark. It's common for turbocharged engines to have a tighter gap to ensure that the pressure does not blow out the spark.

The recommended gap was .028"-.032" on the S60R but I changed it to .026 and the problem was gone. Car ran smooth and fast. Some people even gap it to .024.

Try a smaller gap.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #25
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Threads like these make me not want to attempt changing my own plugs. Are issues common or is the job pretty straightforward?

Anyone have any newb tips? New plugs are in the mail - I'm running stage 2, I was thinking of regapping but I've read conflicting reports here on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #26
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Absolutely, NEVER had any such problem when changing spark plugs (using OEM or OE plugs) on either my N54 or N55 335s. Assuming the plugs are good (no cracked insulator, etc) then something else is causing your problems. New plugs do not require resetting any adaptions or the MAF. Did you ever read the codes? If not, you are "spitting into the wind" with no idea what the cause may be. Get the codes read!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #27
JackTheBrigand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Threads like these make me not want to attempt changing my own plugs. Are issues common or is the job pretty straightforward?

Anyone have any newb tips? New plugs are in the mail - I'm running stage 2, I was thinking of regapping but I've read conflicting reports here on that.
I replaced my plugs ~3500 miles ago at 51K. F30 '15 328i. Bought OE Laser Iridium NGK plugs from Rockauto, installed easily. I used dielectric grease despite a bunch of people against using it on this car. They were all pregapped out of the box (I checked all of them just in case).

Like OP, my car did run rough on initial startup and threw a misfire code. I immediately shut it off, removed all the plugs, re-torqued them, snugged up the coil packs again and everything ran perfect and still is today, have not seen a misfire yet. I never found out what was wrong the first time.
Appreciate 0