F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > fan turning on when car is off and locked
GetBMWParts

04-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
kommy
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport estoril blue

fan turning on when car is off and locked

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone here has experienced the fan turning on randomly while the cars parked. This can go on for several hours and it stops when I lock/unlock the car door. Mine has happened several times now and as a result the battery drains and I get the battery low warning when I start the car. Have checked the auto climate control settings and nothing is programmed in, its a feature I never use.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommy View Post
Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone here has experienced the fan turning on randomly while the cars parked. This can go on for several hours and it stops when I lock/unlock the car door. Mine has happened several times now and as a result the battery drains and I get the battery low warning when I start the car. Have checked the auto climate control settings and nothing is programmed in, its a feature I never use.
I only had the radiator fan run for a few minutes once after parking the car on a relatively warm day (though there have been warmer days where this didn't happen). You should have it checked for a problem with the ecu. You can also get a battery tender to help with the low battery situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
kommy
Rep

At this stage Im unsure if its the radiator/turbo cooling fan running or if its the cabin fan. Will get the car checked out at the next service. The strange thing is that the car is completely off and hours later the fan might kick in.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommy View Post
Hi guys,

The best thing to do is if it happens next time when your car is off and it kicks in, Record a video clip on your phone showing entire thing and how your car is locked and it is on, and also continue recording it to show that the auto-climate control setting in the car is disabled and there is no timer programmed in. Take it to your dealer and show it to them, especially if it is still under warranty (it can be a bit pointless taking it to them and you can't replicate the problem there and then). They will plug it into their computer and read any error codes that is stored or fault codes thrown by car.

This sounds like its the faulty Electric engine fan or the sensor to the cooling fan needs replacing.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
sean328
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport 100 Year SE

Perhaps something to do with the connected app? I use it to ventilate the car a few mins before I get to her.. turns the cabin fan on remotely.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:52 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Have the car's software/firmware updated
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
wildedave
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i Sport & F20 116

I originally ignored this thread when it was posted and then bugger me if it didn't happen to me today. Here is the scenario...
  • Car parked back in garage at about 4pm Monday after moving it out to sweep out garage. Neglected to lock it.
  • Take the wife's car out today (Tuesday), all quiet.
  • Return an hour or so later and a fan in my car is screaming it's head off.

It's wasn't the radiator cooling fan. Noise was coming from passenger side right up near the firewall. As soon as I went to open the door to pop the bonnet (comfort access), it stopped.

I rarely use the remote pre-conditioning function and certainly haven't in the past couple of months.

It's booked in for a service next week so I'll have them look at it.

May well explain why I have seen low battery alerts on the odd morning over the past few months....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
kommy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildedave View Post
I originally ignored this thread when it was posted and then bugger me if it didn't happen to me today. Here is the scenario...
  • Car parked back in garage at about 4pm Monday after moving it out to sweep out garage. Neglected to lock it.
  • Take the wife's car out today (Tuesday), all quiet.
  • Return an hour or so later and a fan in my car is screaming it's head off.

It's wasn't the radiator cooling fan. Noise was coming from passenger side right up near the firewall. As soon as I went to open the door to pop the bonnet (comfort access), it stopped.

I rarely use the remote pre-conditioning function and certainly haven't in the past couple of months.

It's booked in for a service next week so I'll have them look at it.

May well explain why I have seen low battery alerts on the odd morning over the past few months....
Sounds like the problem Im having as the noise is coming from the same location. Not sure what the fan controls, but its loud.
FYI, the fan can run for several hours and will stop when you lock/unlock the door or when the battery is low.

Will have mine looked at during the next service in August but in the mean time trying to record the event as evidence.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 05:49 AM   #9
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep

Mate I saw this the other day and thought it sucked.

Got home (currently have a 320d GT loan car), stuck it in the garage, switched it off and left. As the garage was closing I heard a plane. Then I thought back to your post - reopened the garage, and there is was, the bastard was fanning hard. I unlocked/locked etc hoping to hit a nerve for it to shut down, but I had to turn the car on and off for it to give up.

Hope you get it sorted soon
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 12:01 AM   #10
KKK168
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe

Same problem for my 428i

I got same problem for my 428i.
I found 3 times when park in my garage.
And it stops after I open the door.
Then I got some low battery warming message.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #11
wildedave
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i Sport & F20 116

Sevice Outcome

So had car in for service on Thursday:

Carried out inspection of concern and energy diagnosis carried out with no faults stored. Load tested battery and no faults were evident. Carried out checking of the climate control system for fan malfunction but found there to be no faults and the vehicle passed test plan. Customer to monitor.

Guess i need some sort of sound activated camera......
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #12
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep

that really sucks man
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #13
kommy
Rep

Thats a bummer, anyway managed to get a video of it happening. At the end of the video the battery discharge warning comes on.

BTW you probably need headphones to hear the fan noise.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #14
Young79
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 bmw 330d

Mine did exactly the same today. Been parked up nearly 24 hours, came home to hear a fan running on car, unlocked it and it stopped. Then when ignition was switched on says battery discharging while stationary. Any ideas folks, has anyone found a cure or reason for this happening?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 04:55 AM   #15
Toddo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 2015 330d / 2017 X3

Anyone had any updates on this? I am having the same issue, sounds like the aux fan to me.. noticed it at 3am this morning, on again.. unlocked and locked car shut it up.

I trickle charged my battery early this week (it was almost flat), next day, battery warning again. Had the battery and alternator tested - all fine.

I am awaiting on a call back from a BMW technician to see if it's something they have seen. I did just launch the BMW connected app, went into "Start Climate Timer" and clicked "Deactivate Start Time" - see if that has any effect (as I have never set it, but thought worth a try!)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #16
stygat
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f31 touring

I have the same problem.2 times in 6 months time when I'm standing up in the morning I hear a loud blowing sound in the garage. If I open the door it stops. Can someone help me?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 04:09 AM   #17
ricktheroofs@icloud.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stygat View Post
I have the same problem.2 times in 6 months time when I'm standing up in the morning I hear a loud blowing sound in the garage. If I open the door it stops. Can someone help me?
I had the same problem yesterday just after I collected my Car from the main dealer because it had a recall to have the EGR replaced.
Parked car on driveway locked the car no sound, then hot day I opened my front door came out and fan was on, I then unlock car fan stopped.
Mite be a coincident that the EGR was replaced. Going to call BMW anyway and let you know what happened
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #18
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktheroofs@icloud.com View Post
I had the same problem yesterday just after I collected my Car from the main dealer because it had a recall to have the EGR replaced.
Parked car on driveway locked the car no sound, then hot day I opened my front door came out and fan was on, I then unlock car fan stopped.
Mite be a coincident that the EGR was replaced. Going to call BMW anyway and let you know what happened
I had this issue on my M2, it was the air conditioning system's ECU. I had it replaced under warranty i think the value of the repair was $4000
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #19
bimmer254
Mvua
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92)

Do you think BMW knows about this issue and aren’t fixing it? I’m having the same problem and it’s winter so I’ve had the battery completely drained.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 03:48 PM   #20
p405
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 330d

iv got this problem, did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 09:07 PM   #21
Jessican17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428i

My 428i started doing this also :-(
Appreciate 0