F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Transfer Case Failures Database
Extreme Powerhouse

09-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #221
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Because everyone will eventually be out of warranty by the time it happens a second time.

Mine was replaced 2 months ago, does that mean I got the new guibo? Seems like nobody knows what's going on.

I'm pretty sure both of my failures have been the clutch pack slipping/skipping. I had codes for the tc saying it's at its end of service life.

On the diesels I know there was a water intrusion/rust issue.
Many were already out of warranty the first time around, so it doesn't matter if they'd be out of warranty, "the next time."
It does matter hence why I made my first comment.

I think most people catch it in warranty as well.
A recall covers the parts and labor to fix your car. The warranty status does not matter.
The dealership might try to say it's a different problem the second time it breaks, but that's a totally different argument.
Recalls are generally for safety related issues and they usually revise said parts. The TC is considered safety related due to possible loss of power. Or something as bad as the Takata airbag recall.

A warranty extension on the other hand or "voluntary recall" is where if the part so happens to fail it will be covered, but I don't really see revisions for those.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
At this point I don't even know what your argument is.
At first you seem to imply that BMW only wants to fix it under a recall 1 time and that the second time it fails, the owner will have to pay for it.
Then you try to explain what a recall actually is.
Please clarify your point.
My point is there's a difference between a safety defect recalls which are mandatory, voluntary recalls, and TSBs.

TC is a safety recall but I've yet to see the update in parts.

So as far as I know the TC is on a 40k replacement interval.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #222
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

I have a 2013 328i Xdrive. Anything I can do to prevent transfer case? Based on previous owners records, the TC was replaced already at 20k km by the dealer.

How can I avoid this? Does the recall include me?
      09-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #223
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because everyone will eventually be out of warranty by the time it happens a second time.

Mine was replaced 2 months ago, does that mean I got the new guibo? Seems like nobody knows what's going on.

I'm pretty sure both of my failures have been the clutch pack slipping/skipping. I had codes for the tc saying it's at its end of service life.

Many were already out of warranty the first time around, so it doesn't matter if they'd be out of warranty, "the next time."

A recall covers the parts and labor to fix your car. The warranty status does not matter.
The dealership might try to say it's a different problem the second time it breaks, but that's a totally different argument.
Recalls are generally for safety related issues and they usually revise said parts. The TC is considered safety related due to possible loss of power. Or something as bad as the Takata airbag recall.

A warranty extension on the other hand or "voluntary recall" is where if the part so happens to fail it will be covered, but I don't really see revisions for those.

At first you seem to imply that BMW only wants to fix it under a recall 1 time and that the second time it fails, the owner will have to pay for it.
My point is there's a difference between a safety defect recalls which are mandatory, voluntary recalls, and TSBs.

If you look on another thread the TC isn't the issue. It's the Guibo/CV joint is. That is the recall. Bmw will only replace the TC if the "older" defective guibo has damaged the TC. So unless the TC you had replaced had the old guibo, then you should go back and get the recall for the updated guibo.

I had my transfer case (with old guibo) replaced on Oct 2019. Recall came out in Mar 2020. Had my car taken in June 2020 for the new guibo (confirmed with new part number). Fought with BMW that the TC broke because of the old guibo. After some fight they agreed and sent me a check for $4k.

So to answer your question. It shouldn't break again if you have the newer guibo (yeah right?! Lol). Let's hope the new part will keep my TC in check for longer.
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #224
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim07e90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you look on another thread the TC isn't the issue. It's the Guibo/CV joint is. That is the recall. Bmw will only replace the TC if the "older" defective guibo has damaged the TC. So unless the TC you had replaced had the old guibo, then you should go back and get the recall for the updated guibo.

I had my transfer case (with old guibo) replaced on Oct 2019. Recall came out in Mar 2020. Had my car taken in June 2020 for the new guibo (confirmed with new part number). Fought with BMW that the TC broke because of the old guibo. After some fight they agreed and sent me a check for $4k.

So to answer your question. It shouldn't break again if you have the newer guibo (yeah right?! Lol). Let's hope the new part will keep my TC in check for longer.
I got mine replaced 2 months ago so I hope I have it. Haven't looked through the paperwork.

I was told the failure was related to the clutch packs slipping or at end of service life even with 44k miles?

I do have a gas engine as well. I believe my last wagon, a diesel, was probably related to the guibo.

Who really knows I guess I'll find out down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #225
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
I have a 2013 328i Xdrive. Anything I can do to prevent transfer case? Based on previous owners records, the TC was replaced already at 20k km by the dealer.

How can I avoid this? Does the recall include me?
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579087
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #226
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I got mine replaced 2 months ago so I hope I have it. Haven't looked through the paperwork.

I was told the failure was related to the clutch packs slipping or at end of service life even with 44k miles?

I do have a gas engine as well. I believe my last wagon, a diesel, was probably related to the guibo.

Worn clutches will simply throw codes, but will drive exactly the same.. meaning no front wheel actuation. There would be no weird symptoms.

It would drive exactly the same as coding out the front wheels with xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #227
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Quote:

Worn clutches will simply throw codes, but will drive exactly the same.. meaning no front wheel actuation. There would be no weird symptoms.

It would drive exactly the same as coding out the front wheels with xdrive.
And that's exactly what happened..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #228
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I was reviewing the notes on the TC repair. It was done on August 6 2015. Not sure what proximity this is in relation to the TIS that I have been hearing about.

In the notes, it said

"" removed and replaced new transfer case rubber bushing ""

Am I safe? Is this the rubber guibo? Guess I could just climb under the car.
      09-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #229
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
I was reviewing the notes on the TC repair. It was done on August 6 2015. Not sure what proximity this is in relation to the TIS that I have been hearing about.

In the notes, it said

I'm quite sure you have the old guibo. My TC was replaced in Oct 2019 and the guibo was the older part number. Only way to make sure is to check the guibo part number.
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #230
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim07e90 View Post
Quote:

In the notes, it said

I'm quite sure you have the old guibo. My TC was replaced in Oct 2019 and the guibo was the older part number. Only way to make sure is to check the guibo part number.
How visible is it? Do I just take off the panels and it should be obvious e.g. I should see a black component near the TC/drive shaft? Do I need to remove anything?

I just did my transmission pan, and while I was there, I do recall seeing what I saw as a dark hockey puck somewhere near the TC and attached to the drive shaft. But that was just a glance, and I could be wrong.

Also, how confident can we be that the rubber + loctite solves the problem?

Called the dealer and they said they don't have a parts list on the work order.
      09-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #231
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

If I remember right you should be able to see it after you remove the plastic splashguard under the trans. To replace it you need to drop the exhaust heat shields, because the driveshaft goes above them. But I think if you shine a flashlight over the top of the heat shield you should be able to see the guibo. It's right on the tail of the transmission.

It is either black rubber or gray aluminum, so the difference should be readily apparent.

I'm at almost 80k on TC #3 with the loctite. Still going strong for now! TC #1 was 55k, TC #2 only made it about 30k (this was a rebuild with flange only replacement though). If there's ever a fourth transfer case, I would definitely apply the loctite again.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #232
bringit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d

I just got my car back from the dealer and they replaced:

1 26-11-7-610-061 UNIVERSAL JOINT WARRANTY
3 26-12-7-536-563 SELF-LOCKING HEX NU WARRANTY
3 26-11-7-635-643 HEX BOLT WARRANTY
1 33-12-7-607-158 REPAIR KIT INSERT N WARRANTY
1 18-30-8-632-361 MUFFLER CLAMP WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-546-667 SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-599-326 O-RING WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-539-525 LOCK RING WARRANTY

J# 2 27BMZZ8020RC Replace flexible dis UNITS: TECH(S):554 WARRANTY
COMPLAINT: Replace flexible disc and check and if required replace tran
CAUSE: BULLETIN 0027100100 - 27 80 20RC
CORRECTION: Replace flexible disc and check and if required replace
tran. TRANSFER CASE OK. CONFIRMED WITH SHOP FOREMAN
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #233
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i MSport/2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringit View Post
I just got my car back from the dealer and they replaced:

1 26-11-7-610-061 UNIVERSAL JOINT WARRANTY
3 26-12-7-536-563 SELF-LOCKING HEX NU WARRANTY
3 26-11-7-635-643 HEX BOLT WARRANTY
1 33-12-7-607-158 REPAIR KIT INSERT N WARRANTY
1 18-30-8-632-361 MUFFLER CLAMP WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-546-667 SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-599-326 O-RING WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-539-525 LOCK RING WARRANTY

J# 2 27BMZZ8020RC Replace flexible dis UNITS: TECH(S):554 WARRANTY
COMPLAINT: Replace flexible disc and check and if required replace tran
CAUSE: BULLETIN 0027100100 - 27 80 20RC
CORRECTION: Replace flexible disc and check and if required replace
tran. TRANSFER CASE OK. CONFIRMED WITH SHOP FOREMAN
After all that, I'm not sure if I'd feel better or worse at not getting a new TC... good that yours didn't have signs of wear I guess?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #234
bringit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d

My car has been driving great, I was actually hesitant to have them touch anything. If it ain't broke don't touch it. But, safety wise, after reading all the people with issues, I thought I should take it in just in case.

Same with that other recall I did recently with the EGR cooler one. They basically just inspected and replaced the O-Ring gasket. My car only has 88k Kms (56k miles), it's still in it's pre-teen stage.
Appreciate 1
CTMike262.00
      10-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #235
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i MSport/2011 E93 M3

Just got it back from the dealer... took 2 weeks since TC was on backorder. Everything seems to be in order and driving well.

-Inspect driveshaft guibo; has metal guibo
-Inspect flange, some play in flange and slight rust

1 26-11-7-610-061 Universal Joint
3 26-12-7-536-563 Self-Locking Hex Nut
3 26-11-7-635-643 Hex Bolt
3 26-11-7-527-475 Hex Bolt
1 18-30-8-632-361 Muffler Clamp
2 07-11-9-904-024 Hex Nut
4 26-11-7-529-387 Torx Screw With Ribs
1 27-10-7-649-725 RP Reman Transfer Box
1 22-31-6-861-324 Transmission Bearing Set

And for good measure since Check Engine light was on:
1 13-62-8-582-023 Diesel Particulate Sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #236
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm thinking of getting some 403m rims. I noticed how someone mentioned the rolling difference is 0.3% for the staggered 403m setup, and that the tolerance for the TC is 1%.

Overall, am I safe to grab these wheels without effecting the longevity of the transfer case?
      10-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #237
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting some 403m rims. I noticed how someone mentioned the rolling difference is 0.3% for the staggered 403m setup, and that the tolerance for the TC is 1%.

Overall, am I safe to grab these wheels without effecting the longevity of the transfer case?
Since BMW sold xDrive M Sports with staggered 403M as an option I think it should be fine.

Just stick to the standard tyre sizes... 225/40/19 front and 255/35/19 rear... in the same brand/spec tyre, and I can't see that causing a problem.

My progress thread
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #238
F30_320D_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
Since BMW sold xDrive M Sports with staggered 403M as an option I think it should be fine.

Just stick to the standard tyre sizes... 225/40/19 front and 255/35/19 rear... in the same brand/spec tyre, and I can't see that causing a problem.
Running 403M myself as standard from factory with 225 upfront and 255 at the rear. My TC failed at 31k miles. So, no, this setup even though it is from factory still produces failed TC's.

Now running 255's all round (square) on my 403M's. TC is still holding up nicely, odo is at 72k miles...probably will be failing shortly after typing this
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #239
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_320D_UK View Post
Running 403M myself as standard from factory with 225 upfront and 255 at the rear. My TC failed at 31k miles. So, no, this setup even though it is from factory still produces failed TC's.

Now running 255's all round (square) on my 403M's. TC is still holding up nicely, odo is at 72k miles...probably will be failing shortly after typing this
Is the TC problem a result of the staggered factory setup, or just badly designed/manufactured TCs?

There seem to be many TCs failing on square setups and in USA where I don't think staggered was standard.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #240
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is the TC problem a result of the staggered factory setup, or just badly designed/manufactured TCs?

There seem to be many TCs failing on square setups and in USA where I don't think staggered was standard.
There are 2 different failure modes.

1. Output flange for pre-LCI is the most common. This is caused mainly by engine vibration and lack of vibration absorbance by the all aluminum flex disc. This is easily prevented, and even BMW has recommended this fix. The LCI cars generally do not have this issue, and the major difference is the flex disc. (there is a recall/TSB for exactly this, for the diesels)

2. Clutch wear is a more distant second. This seems to have 2 causes. Either mismatched wheel speeds from strange setups/different tires or even vastly different inflation pressures.
The other cause may be an improper actuator calibration causing extra wear on the clutches. I have seen the transfer case module fail in such a way that the clutches are fully locked at all times, and throwing no errors. The driver may notice some weird low-speed wheel hop when turning.

In summary, change to an all rubber flex disk, and investigate all possible issues with differing wheel speeds/circumference and fix.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      10-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #241
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_320D_UK View Post
Quote:

I wanted to mention that my car has a completely square setup with one of BMWs base rims. My TC failed under the previous owner at 23k km. So far so good though at 77k km. Knock on wood lol
      01-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #242
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Mine went in for recall, and is getting a new t case. Unfortunately it seems like it will be in shop for a month and I was going to use it to take family to go see Dad for his 70th at end of month.

No major symptoms except some slight surging on full power.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0