F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Holidays and COVID
ARMA SPEED

10-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Holidays and COVID

Hi, all, just looking for advice/suggestions from you good people.

We are due to go on holiday to Toronto, Niagara Falls and New York on the 3rd November, we booked it through a local travel agent, that we've not used before, who pulled all the elements together, in mid January. As of today, 14 October, we've not been contacted by them to let us know if the trip is going ahead. They've already mentioned in an earlier email that they don't offer cash refunds but also haven't mentioned how we will be refunded. I'm not interested in vouchers so think I'll be going down the credit card chargeback route.
I don't want to chase the agent, I want them to tell me what the situation is, any guesses when I might find anything out? I'm also under the impression they should offer cash back, any thoughts?

Thanks, and stay safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Try calling them and asking?
      10-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't want to approach them, yet at least, I want to be the "aggrieved party", left in the dark, etc,etc, not be a PITA, at least not yet!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
I don't want to approach them, yet at least, I want to be the "aggrieved party", left in the dark, etc,etc, not be a PITA, at least not yet!
If the flights are still running, which a small number still are, and the hotels still open, if you don’t tell them you don’t want to go you’re taking a risk. Yes you can only travel in really limited circumstances, not general tourism, but I would not be risking no communication.

If the flights are cancelled they may well contact you. I think you’re taking a big chance leaving it this late. I’d have been on telling them my intentions in April and asking what my options were.

The hotels could be past cancellation. It may well all be closed off and not possible to go, but you’re leaving a lot to chance by leaving your comms this late, and even more risk the later you leave it.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 10-14-2020 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
mikeoz2856.00
      10-15-2020, 02:28 AM   #5
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 325d MSport

The border from Canada to the US is essentially closed. And travel is not allowed for anyone who is UK or the Shengen area into the USA without "National Interest Exemption". The only way you can get this is to goto the Embassy in London with a sheaf of paperwork. I know this as I am currently doing that process to get to the US. (or you are US citizen then you can go).

I would assume therefore, they have no option but to refund if you can't legally enter the country where you holiday is. I do not know about travelling from UK into Canada though.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #6
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers, guys, been in touch with them, seems they will let us know a couple of days before we are due to leave what the situation is. A bit disappointed to be honest, can't imagine it will go ahead given the FCO advice hasn't changed.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Them saying they don't offer cash refunds - you basically say that you will not accept vouchers, and insist on a cash refund. If they refuse, you take it to court, or go via chargeback.

You have a legal right to the refund.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
If the flights are still running, which a small number still are, and the hotels still open, if you don’t tell them you don’t want to go you’re taking a risk. Yes you can only travel in really limited circumstances, not general tourism, but I would not be risking no communication.

If the flights are cancelled they may well contact you. I think you’re taking a big chance leaving it this late. I’d have been on telling them my intentions in April and asking what my options were.

The hotels could be past cancellation. It may well all be closed off and not possible to go, but you’re leaving a lot to chance by leaving your comms this late, and even more risk the later you leave it.
This^ I was going to say if the flights are still going and hotels open what grounds are you asking for a chargeback? I understand FCO advice but Airlines and company's have been ignoring that for some time now and still running flights, it is "Advice" after all.
Fully understand your wish not to go but contact them and see if you can move it to next year if they won't refund or better still hope the flights get cancelled...which Airline is it? You can always look at their website and get an idea of they are running flights etc?
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Quote:

This^ I was going to say if the flights are still going and hotels open what grounds are you asking for a chargeback? I understand FCO advice but Airlines and company's have been ignoring that for some time now and still running flights, it is "Advice" after all.
Fully understand your wish not to go but contact them and see if you can move it to next year if they won't refund or better still hope the flights get cancelled...which Airline is it? You can always look at their website and get an idea of they are running flights etc?
Whether flights are running a UK citizen is not allowed into the USA at the moment without exemption - and you cannot get that for a holiday!
It's not advice from the UK government it's the US!
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Well if that's the case from the US Govt side then OP should get a refund ?
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #11
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

If it was mid jan when you booked surely your travel insurance would also cover it if needs be?
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #12
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

If you booked it through an agent surely they have responsibilities. I believe they have to offer a refund. Its impossible to fly so the airline will refund the agent then you.

We had the same with some mickey mouse company we booked through skyscanner, got the money back in the end but it took some time.

We also have another issue upcoming with BA holidays for two weeks in the Caribbean next month (booked last Jan). FCO advice is not to travel yet they're still selling flights and holidays to this location. We need to book pre flight hotel, parking , transfers but know it will probably be cancelled.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas325 View Post
Whether flights are running a UK citizen is not allowed into the USA at the moment without exemption - and you cannot get that for a holiday!
I know. That’s pretty much what I said.

I still wouldn’t leave communication this late and trust it’s going to happen.

If flights are running and you’re booked on the airline will assume you do have exemption surely, or you wouldn’t be booked? Or do you have to confirm that with the actual airlines? I wouldn’t trust a small agent to just cancel it, especially if it’s only a couple of weeks away and you’ve heard nothing.

Ok now though, the OP has called them anyway.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks again, everyone. I'm hoping the insurance might be the first port of call but either way I can't make a move until the agent lets me know what's happening. It's very frustrating, whatever happens we don't want to travel now, probably not even next year so I'd rather get my money back then we decide when and where we go. I'll stick to booking with Virgin in future.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #15
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know. That's pretty much what I said.

I still wouldn't leave communication this late and trust it's going to happen.

If flights are running and you're booked on the airline will assume you do have exemption surely, or you wouldn't be booked? Or do you have to confirm that with the actual airlines? I wouldn't trust a small agent to just cancel it, especially if it's only a couple of weeks away and you've heard nothing.

Ok now though, the OP has called them anyway.
You won't be allowed to board the plane without a ESTA (no new ones being issued and you need an exemption for an old one to be valid) or a visa (with an exemption). I only know this because I'm waiting for my passport to be delivered with visa & exemption to travel..
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #16
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You won't be allowed to board the plane without a ESTA (no new ones being issued and you need an exemption for an old one to be valid) or a visa (with an exemption). I only know this because I'm waiting for my passport to be delivered with visa & exemption to travel..
Ok, but that’s still a detail, the airline won’t know that in advance and automatically cancel a ticket. Likely that the flight is cancelled anyway, as many are.

My only point is don’t leave it to chance, make sure someone knows you don’t want to/can’t travel. Which he has done.
Appreciate 1