F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivetrain malfunction!!!!!
Extreme Powerhouse

09-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #155
Jake From State Farm
Uhh... Khakis?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F250 Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissdev View Post
Just had this happen to me in a 2013 335xi M-Sport. Was driving on the freeway in Sport Mode, nothing too spirited, going about 70 just stepped in the gas to pass someone. Just bought it, very disappointing. Hoping it’s just spark plugs or coils. When I started it back up it seems to be ok.
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back. Misfiring on cylinder 3 and 6 and the car was shaking like crazy. Replaced the coils and plugs but found that the issue was with the plugs. Since replacing them everything is good.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #156
blissdev
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO-FamilySedan View Post
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back. Misfiring on cylinder 3 and 6 and the car was shaking like crazy. Replaced the coils and plugs but found that the issue was with the plugs. Since replacing them everything is good.
Glad to hear, hoping mine’s the same, will find out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #157
blissdev
Rep

Garage List
I spoke with the previous owner of my car, and he mentioned that stepping on it in 6th gear causes the issue, as it stresses out the clutch and this is protection from BMW. I also encountered the same issue in 5th gear when attempting to pass. Has anyone else heard of this?

It's a bit problematic to me that in a highway situation where gas/acceleration may be necessary or desired that I may lose power to my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #158
blissdev
Rep

Garage List
I just realized I had it in Sport mode each time, could this be part of the issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #159
Nick7502
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissdev View Post
I just realized I had it in Sport mode each time, could this be part of the issue?
Mine went off, malfunctioning Powertrain. Went limp, turned off the car turned back on it was fine.
Took it to the dealer next day. It went from fuel pump to the module to the harness/wires.

BmwNA wants them to run more test. The car has been with them for a week.
Has anyone else had issues with this?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:39 AM   #160
MBH97
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

I may have caused it tbh as I had some friends in the car and was having a little bit of fun. Took some sharp turns at a pretty good speed but nothing happened, then I was merging on the highway probably doing 70 and I put my foot down and that’s when it jammed up and gave me the “drivetrain malfunction continued driving possible” warning and it started to misfire. I figured me taking those turns probably did something and I started to instantly regret doing it lol. Shut it off and restarted it and it went back to normal. But shortly after driving normally it came back and started misfiring again. Imma let the car sit overnight and see if it happens again. I’ve been told that spark plugs and coils replacement is a good idea and another person told me that my charge pipe could have failed and caused the issue. I will see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #161
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBH97 View Post
I may have caused it tbh as I had some friends in the car and was having a little bit of fun. Took some sharp turns at a pretty good speed but nothing happened, then I was merging on the highway probably doing 70 and I put my foot down and that’s when it jammed up and gave me the “drivetrain malfunction continued driving possible” warning and it started to misfire. I figured me taking those turns probably did something and I started to instantly regret doing it lol. Shut it off and restarted it and it went back to normal. But shortly after driving normally it came back and started misfiring again. Imma let the car sit overnight and see if it happens again. I’ve been told that spark plugs and coils replacement is a good idea and another person told me that my charge pipe could have failed and caused the issue. I will see how it goes.
It shouldn't be happening at all, in fact you should be giving it the beans on a good run. I've had performance cars flash up like an Xmas tree because I was driving it like miss daisy / not often enough due to carbon buildup.

From reading this thread it seems they're all typical issues with modern turbo charged cars. Out of the 5 BMW's I've had, some were daily drivers, company cars or cash purchases to rag around a track and I've never suffered any of these issues.

Although, I've had issues with Ford solenoid's forcing it into limp mode, EGR / MAF and MAP sensor issues on an Alfa forcing it into limp mode, software bug on Jag XE (with ZF 8AT) forcing into limp mode. In short cars are complicated nowadays..

Last edited by Firaxis; 08-12-2020 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #162
MBH97
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Quote:
I may have caused it tbh as I had some friends in the car and was having a little bit of fun. Took some sharp turns at a pretty good speed but nothing happened, then I was merging on the highway probably doing 70 and I put my foot down and that's when it jammed up and gave me the "drivetrain malfunction continued driving possible" warning and it started to misfire. I figured me taking those turns probably did something and I started to instantly regret doing it lol. Shut it off and restarted it and it went back to normal. But shortly after driving normally it came back and started misfiring again. Imma let the car sit overnight and see if it happens again. I've been told that spark plugs and coils replacement is a good idea and another person told me that my charge pipe could have failed and caused the issue. I will see how it goes.
It shouldn't be happening at all, in fact you should be giving it the beans on a good run. I've had performance cars flash up like an Xmas tree because I was driving it like miss daisy / not often enough due to carbon buildup.

From reading this thread it seems they're all typical issues with modern turbo charged cars. Out of the 5 BMW's I've had, some were daily drivers, company cars or cash purchases to rag around a track and I've never suffered any of these issues.

Although, I've had issues with Ford solenoid's forcing it into limp mode, EGR / MAF and MAP sensor issues on an Alfa forcing it into limp mode, software bug on Jag XE (with ZF 8AT) forcing into limp mode. In short cars are complicated nowadays..
Yea I gotta say I was kinda surprised to see that happen. Originally I figured maybe the car got confused cuz I was in comfort and "D" but at the same time these cars are pretty sophisticated so you would think driving aggressively in comfort or even in eco mode wouldn't trip up the car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 02:46 AM   #163
MBH97
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Quote:
I may have caused it tbh as I had some friends in the car and was having a little bit of fun. Took some sharp turns at a pretty good speed but nothing happened, then I was merging on the highway probably doing 70 and I put my foot down and that's when it jammed up and gave me the "drivetrain malfunction continued driving possible" warning and it started to misfire. I figured me taking those turns probably did something and I started to instantly regret doing it lol. Shut it off and restarted it and it went back to normal. But shortly after driving normally it came back and started misfiring again. Imma let the car sit overnight and see if it happens again. I've been told that spark plugs and coils replacement is a good idea and another person told me that my charge pipe could have failed and caused the issue. I will see how it goes.

Yea I gotta say I was kinda surprised to see that happen. Originally I figured maybe the car got confused cuz I was in comfort and "D" but at the same time these cars are pretty sophisticated so you would think driving aggressively in comfort or even in eco mode wouldn't trip up the car
Just thought I'd give an update even though no one asked LOL. Replaced the spark plugs and coils (I was going to do this anyways even before having this issue) and the issue went away for about a month and then it came back. Same symptoms. I'd be just driving and then lay into the throttle, it chokes up gives me the drivetrain malf starts misfiring and running rough but this time it also threw a check engine light (it never did that before) so I hooked my scan tool to it and it came up with a code for "low pressure in high pressure fuel pump" code P142E. Picked up a HPFP from fcp euro and had it installed and it's been fine ever since
Appreciate 1
trebec13.50
      03-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #164
Babr2012
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive (f30/N20)

Just wanted everybody to know that if you have the SULEV warranty (many cars have this, i just found out) the wastegate actuator is covered. I have been getting a drive train malfunction intermittently and the car would go into limp mode. Indy shop quoted $1200, the dealer replaced the part under warranty, I paid $0. So if you have the "drivetrain malfunction - drive moderately" issue and it turns out to be the waste-gate actuator, this is covered till 150,000/15 yrs on SULEV cars. I hope this helps somebody!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #165
Johnnydeep
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i

This happened to me today cursing at about 80. Just bought my first f30 320 6MT. Been having a lot of issues with the care since purchase. Mainly misfires and rough idle. Also under WoT there’s no power. Fuel feels like it’s cutting off. At this point I’m tackling the problem one by one changing out fuel parts. Spark plugs and coils are in. Just ordered a low pressure fuel pump. See if that works.

Also I been getting high pressure fuel sensors engine code. Won’t go away. I replaced the sensor 3 times. Code still there. Any insight? I feel like a bad fuel filter is causing this code
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 10:48 AM   #166
HashmatCheema777
Registered
Botswana
Rep
Drives: F30 Bmw 335i ah3

I'm facing a similar problem with my 2013 ah3
I've got a bm3 file on it and recently whenever I go WOT in sport+ it throws up a drivetrain error message and limits power. I have to turn the vehicle off and restart it for the message to go away. I diagnosed it today and I'll attach the errors. Does anyone know what could be wrong or what I would need to do to fix this issue?
Someone suggested swapping out the auxiliary battery would solve the entire issue but I'm not entirely sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0