F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Should I change my transmission fluid?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #199
GT-F30
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad N26 View Post
Okay, so I dropped my car off this morning and picked it up this evening. As I mentioned, I had purchased the FCP Euro transmission pan/filter kit with 7 liters of ZF fluid for $303. The shop charged me $337 in labor for the transmission fluid & pan change.

I also had them change the transfer case fluid and use fresh Motul DTCF in its place. They changed the rear differential fluid with Motul 75w90 gear fluid. They charged me $250 for this (they had the Motul fluids in stock).

The car shifts sooooo much more smoothly and cleanly now after the service. I had 82,000 miles on the clock. So glad I had this done. I highly recommend everybody get this done every 60,000 to 80,000 miles.
I m not sure on which country you guys live. i have read the whole post , probably most of the people who posted live in the US i guess.

But the prices you have to pay for parts are outrageous.

The pan with the filter costs 70 euros in Germany. Type in amazon.de : ZF 1087.298.364 Transmission oil pan filter automatic transmission for BMW 8HP 45-75
(when i try to c/p the link it takes around 7 lines...)

And you can either get for around 100euros the original ZF oil. Or grab for half the price this sweet castrol equivelant :

CASTROL SYNTRAX LONGLIFE 75W90 DIFFERENTIAL OIL AXLE GEAR OIL BMW

It is verified to have all the requirements, just it is not OEM , since ZF makes the tranny (and Castrol is not anymore official partner to BMW anyway , it was earlier since my oil cap says Castrol on it) .

But to anyone wanting to pay a shop to do it. If you have confidence in your skills (not as a mechanic , but in general) just go on and do it. The only trick in this procedure is the temperature thing , you can do damage it seems if you skip that detail.

I will wait until i get to my homeland in summer to use my garage which has a "tunnel" under it for car service. And do it there. I will use the BIMMERLINK app , to read the temperature , and thats all. The rest are common stuff. One more tip. Make sure when you draw the oil that it is 30 celcius or bellow. I think it is already stated many times here. And the filling temp should be around 40-50 celcius with the engine runing. (Bimmerlink is the cheapest option i think to get the temps) . It also needs an adapter , which you can get for around 25euros on amazon or ebay , V-Gate wifi,bluetooth adapter seems to work with both Beemerlink and Bimmercode for me.

The procedure was posted many times before in this post.

also. i saw many people sourcing fcp euro for buying the kit. I do not know if it was available then or it is a new thing. But the same website has also a pretty good written guide for the job.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-serv...p-transmission

Or you can use this youtube video :

I found it usefull.

And for a last bonus. If you have not done it already. Together with the tranny . replace your differential oil. My car is RWD so i only have read diff to do (X driver owners have transfer case and front diff i believe)

Here is a video on that also.

And the suitable oil is :
Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80

Again i do not give links for oil , since you can use the tittle and find it whenever suits you the best.

Hope i have helped others who have doubts about doing it themselves or not. If you follow the steps on the links i have provided , it shouldnt be much of a challenge. Just make sure not to skip anything!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #200
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd_F30 View Post
Good video. So why tf is BMW saying lifetime? I kind of want to show this to my SA when she will invariably tell me it's a lifetime fluid and it doesn't need to be changed.
62,000 miles it is. Likely use 60,000 miles as the easy button. Thanks for the reference.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:48 AM   #201
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack75 View Post
To each his own. I think most of this is very excessive.
Not at all. Didi it preventively at 100,000 kms, I started feeling thuds. original liquid was black and 30% remaining. COVID year 2020 meant I only put 5000 kms, and shakes got worse. Past 4 weeks trying to get it resolved at an independent shop (after BMW quoted a 17,000$ CAD trans replacement). The indie shop told me that just months ago, BMW issued a silent bulletin that speak by itself. First, they recalled and replaced the prev ZF 8HP45 trans fluid with a new one, with a different viscosity. They had issues with the original fluid spec, and the replacement liquid, causing issues. In my case, the first ever jitters, temporary occurred in 2017, and could neve rbe recreated until march 2020 when we swapped oil. I noticed the oddity immediately and, and adaptive reset resolved it. But the COVID year meant I had nowhere really to go or drive. March 2021, warmer weather, whenever the trasn warmed up, the skipping commenced. Not cold (and it gets cold in canada), but pre warmup cold. Worse at low pressure/comfort mode, way less in Sport/Sport+. Two, apparently in the DEU trans fluid swap is now 80,000 kms within service and warranty. But in North America, they maintain 'lifetime' to avoid piling up more lawsuits as already piled up vs BMW NA (esp in the USA).

The indie shop told me that, although the ZF 8HP are every reliable, quite a few issues have been creeping up in the entire 45 series equipped cars, some of the oddities as noticed by myself.

As I am not a mechanic with access to this info, i cannot verify this information- not even the new, altered viscosity trans fluid swap. But I can attest that as soon as replacing trans fluid early 2020, the trans seem to choke itself at temp. By tomorrow I have the new liquids in.

Last edited by Musashi; 05-27-2021 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #202
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-F30 View Post
I m not sure on which country you guys live. i have read the whole post , probably most of the people who posted live in the US i guess.

But the prices you have to pay for parts are outrageous.

The pan with the filter costs 70 euros in Germany. Type in amazon.de : ZF 1087.298.364 Transmission oil pan filter automatic transmission for BMW 8HP 45-75
(when i try to c/p the link it takes around 7 lines...)
90$ USD in USA. 500$ CAD in Canada, or easily over 380 euros. Yessiree we get ripped. Bring your wn and shops refuse to install them, as they cannot be sure of provenance nor guarantee the job. true.

As for oil, BMW issued a silent bulleting a few months ago that swaps its previous ZF8HP45 fluid as problematic, with an altered viscosity version. I noticed myself, march 2020, post fluid change, the trans issues. They faded away post reset, and came back march 2021 AT TEMP. The warmer it got, the more it jittered. the indie shop ir replacing the fluid with the NEW revised viscosity oil. And in the DEU, apparently 80,000 kms is the trans fluid norm, but 'lifetime' in North America (read- fear of lawsuits if having to recall for fluid swaps). Since in NA people swap cars so frequently, it makes sense for BWM to avoid maintenance, and not pile up more lawsuit son top of existing ones- and they will bite anyway.

Bottom line, indie shop told me that BWM changed the trans fluid spec months ago due to aggravating issue with original (factory) and whatever recommended they used since 8HP45 were launched... I cannot verify this, as I am not in the tech world.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #203
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-F30 View Post
also. i saw many people sourcing fcp euro for buying the kit. I do not know if it was available then or it is a new thing. But the same website has also a pretty good written guide for the job.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-serv...p-transmission
Interesting, I was going to wait until 50k miles to do my transmission (seemed to be the general safe consensus), until I read this in the blog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCP EURO
I recommend changing the fluid on this transmission at least every 50K miles. If you drive the car hard or use it for more than regular duty I recommend shortening the interval to 40K-miles or less.
My car is at 38k miles, up from 28k when I bought it in January. Yeah, I joyride too much...

I'd say once weekly I tow a little utility trailer with it, much of the time it just has my kayak(s) on board so the total weight is under 350 pounds. But the other half of the time, I'm towing my ATV...which brings the total weight to around 900 pounds. Still not a lot, but at that weight I do start to notice the trailer's presence back there somewhat, and my highway fuel mileage drops to 25 so it's definitely working harder. Every once in a while I'll feel a slightly firmer shift that I don't remember it doing before.

So why not, I'll just go ahead and do it. I'm curious to see the condition of the fluid at 38-40k when it comes out, I'll post for those interested. Changing spark plugs, too. Diffs & TC, I'm going to hold off and do all three @ 60k.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #204
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
So why not, I'll just go ahead and do it. I'm curious to see the condition of the fluid at 38-40k when it comes out, I'll post for those interested. Changing spark plugs, too.

In both cases, my initial impression is that both were done prematurely. Both looked, and in the case of the fluid, felt and smelled as well, to have plenty of life left. However, both produced a significant improvement. Engine idle and gear shifts have become imperceptible. So, perhaps there is a benefit to performing both a little sooner than recommended.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 10:50 PM   #205
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

how many liters do I need to do transmission fluid change? 7 liter? I called my dealer, and they told me 12 Liters because they use a pressurized machine to push the old oil out and put the new oil in? how much $ is per quart?

Last edited by dangerus_car; 06-15-2022 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 07:57 AM   #206
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad N26 View Post
Okay, so I dropped my car off this morning and picked it up this evening. As I mentioned, I had purchased the FCP Euro transmission pan/filter kit with 7 liters of ZF fluid for $303. The shop charged me $337 in labor for the transmission fluid & pan change.

I also had them change the transfer case fluid and use fresh Motul DTCF in its place. They changed the rear differential fluid with Motul 75w90 gear fluid. They charged me $250 for this (they had the Motul fluids in stock).

The car shifts sooooo much more smoothly and cleanly now after the service. I had 82,000 miles on the clock. So glad I had this done. I highly recommend everybody get this done every 60,000 to 80,000 miles.

$250 for transfer case service is pretty good quote as it's not easily accessible, I asked my local stealership and they wanted over $1k. I recently had them do the differentials (front and rear) and it was less than $400. I plan on doing transmission and TC next. I am approaching 65k, so a little behind when I would normally do all these fluids.

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 03:46 PM   #207
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

Just my take on this thread;

For fluid I use LiquiMoly TopTec 1800 ATF. Its really inexpensive through FCPEuro and the best part is their lifetime parts replacement program. Read into it, you can save some money by being a return customer.

since no one has shared it yet, for fluid type and change workflow process, please see this ZF PDF/article:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemed...p-50130-en.pdf

ZF recommends changing the fluid during the break-in period of anywhere from 35k miles to 50k miles. (I am having a hard time finding the ACTUAL written statement from ZF, I saw it somewhere, and I'll repost when I find it).

As we all know, transmission fluids are "detergents", more so than they are "lubricants". There are also several factors that can effect fluid life, ie: sporty driving, towing, and increased heat levels depending on your regionality.

I changed my fluid and filter at 35k miles. I purchase my 330 at 21k miles CPO. I am a stickler for maintenance, and like I said, if you order from FCPEuro, you'll be better off for future maintenance. It is also nice to start fresh.

My fluid did not smell burnt or totally deteriorated, but the color was DARK! I followed the recommended procedure for filling, and ensured that the amount of fluid that came out, went back in.

The car drives really smooth and continues each day. I am planning to do another full service at 75k miles, exactly 50k after my initial "break-in" service.
2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 12:40 AM   #208
shikelicious
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Yes definitely do it if you want peace of mind and keeping your car for a few more years. Am planning to do it for the first time on my 2015 F30 328i with around 67.5k KM. May be a bit premature but heard it's recommended prior to flashing xHP for mid-aged cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 05:41 AM   #209
Cytoplasm0671
Armchair Aristocrat
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT

Just did my manual transmission fluid yesterday. Used only a single liter of oil. Replaced black oil with nice amber oil, so I'm sure it was needed, but it seems like a small amount of new oil added (sub zero temps here in Michigan).

For a MT was I supposed to cycle through the gears after removing the drain plug? Maybe that would have gotten more fluid released?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 07:14 AM   #210
imperialgrunt
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

I’m very on the fence about changing out my fluid. I’m at 81k miles. I bought this car at 65k. I doubt that the previous owner(s) flushed the fluid out. Based on some replies I read on here and Reddit, some people advise against touching it at this point because it can break the transmission? That makes me very nervous.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 09:36 AM   #211
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialgrunt View Post
I’m very on the fence about changing out my fluid. I’m at 81k miles. I bought this car at 65k. I doubt that the previous owner(s) flushed the fluid out. Based on some replies I read on here and Reddit, some people advise against touching it at this point because it can break the transmission? That makes me very nervous.
Nothing to be nervous about. The information is straight forward. It has just been repeated incorrectly so many times that it’s become misinformation.

At 81k miles you should absolutely do the automatic transmission service. ZF the transmission manufacturer recommends it at 60k miles. Very experienced independent BMW shops warn against doing it for the first time if the car is over 100k miles.

That has to do with worn particles floating in the old fluid, making it thicker and shoring up the gaps where parts have worn. By installing new thin fluid in with really worn parts causes various problems that the transmission didn’t exhibit before.

Totally ignore any BMW claims that any fluids are “Lifetime”. Lifetime to BMW means that something will last until BMW is no longer financially responsible under warranty. Then they hope it breaks because they want to sell new BMWs.

What the ZF video. Parts include a new plastic transmission pan that has a built in filter. New pan bolts. And about 7 bottles of ZF fluid. I got my parts at FCP Euro. I buy ZF parts and fluid because ZF is the manufacturer. I ignore super fluid and it’s all the same claims. Just not worth the risk for something as expensive as the transmission.

Get it done at a good independent shop. See BimmerShops website for ideas. If a shop is good they will tell you that the car has to be dropped of the afternoon before. They put it up on a lift so that as much fluid as possible will drain into the pan. There is a special fill procedure that they must follow to fill, then run the car up to temperature while level up in the air and then refill.

Also time to replace your rear differential fluid, and if you have an XDrive your front differential and Transfer Case fluids also. The three of those only take one bottle each. And they are easy to do if the trans fluid is being done. A good shop will give you a break on labor and not rip you off charging book rate as if you brought the car in separately to have each one done.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      10-19-2023, 07:38 AM   #212
imperialgrunt
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Nothing to be nervous about. The information is straight forward. It has just been repeated incorrectly so many times that it’s become misinformation.

At 81k miles you should absolutely do the automatic transmission service. ZF the transmission manufacturer recommends it at 60k miles. Very experienced independent BMW shops warn against doing it for the first time if the car is over 100k miles.

That has to do with worn particles floating in the old fluid, making it thicker and shoring up the gaps where parts have worn. By installing new thin fluid in with really worn parts causes various problems that the transmission didn’t exhibit before.

Totally ignore any BMW claims that any fluids are “Lifetime”. Lifetime to BMW means that something will last until BMW is no longer financially responsible under warranty. Then they hope it breaks because they want to sell new BMWs.

What the ZF video. Parts include a new plastic transmission pan that has a built in filter. New pan bolts. And about 7 bottles of ZF fluid. I got my parts at FCP Euro. I buy ZF parts and fluid because ZF is the manufacturer. I ignore super fluid and it’s all the same claims. Just not worth the risk for something as expensive as the transmission.

Get it done at a good independent shop. See BimmerShops website for ideas. If a shop is good they will tell you that the car has to be dropped of the afternoon before. They put it up on a lift so that as much fluid as possible will drain into the pan. There is a special fill procedure that they must follow to fill, then run the car up to temperature while level up in the air and then refill.

Also time to replace your rear differential fluid, and if you have an XDrive your front differential and Transfer Case fluids also. The three of those only take one bottle each. And they are easy to do if the trans fluid is being done. A good shop will give you a break on labor and not rip you off charging book rate as if you brought the car in separately to have each one done.

Hope this helps!
Definitely helps! Thank you for the simplification. The DIY doesn’t seem too bad on the transmission flush. I’m thinking about attempting to save a few hundred dollars and changing it myself. But I’m a little confused by the FCPEuro website.

The website is asking if my car has a “8-speed Automatic
GA8HP50Z by ZF
” or a “8-speed Automatic 8H50 by ZF” how could I find out which transmission model is in my vehicle? Or does it not matter for the fluids in question?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 08:26 AM   #213
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialgrunt View Post
Definitely helps! Thank you for the simplification. The DIY doesn’t seem too bad on the transmission flush. I’m thinking about attempting to save a few hundred dollars and changing it myself. But I’m a little confused by the FCPEuro website.

The website is asking if my car has a “8-speed Automatic

GA8HP50Z by ZF” or a “8-speed Automatic 8H50 by ZF” how could I find out which transmission model is in my vehicle? Or does it not matter for the fluids in question?
If you do it yourself remember that it has to be up in the air and level to run it up to temperature and then refill correctly. So you need some sort of lift or four jack stands. Here’s a great video on how to get the car up onto four jack stands.

https://youtu.be/ISHpkxt4cEw?si=jGH4N7s3HliVU8w8

To find out your transmission model, enter the last 7 digits of your VIN into realoem website and choose the Automatic Transmission icon. Then you’ll see the model.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 03:13 AM   #214
tapyautoparts
Tapy
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009

Post Changing your transmission fluid

Changing your transmission fluid can be a topic of debate among car enthusiasts, especially when the manufacturer advertises it as a "lifetime" fluid. Here are some points to consider when deciding whether or not to change your transmission fluid at around 100k miles:

Pros of Changing Transmission Fluid:

Preventative Maintenance: Changing your transmission fluid at regular intervals, even if it's not specified by the manufacturer, can help prevent potential issues in the long run. Fresh fluid can help maintain the transmission's efficiency and lifespan.

Improved Performance: New transmission fluid can improve gear shifting and overall transmission performance. It can help to reduce friction and wear on internal components.

Fluid Condition: Over time, transmission fluid can become contaminated with debris, which can affect its performance. Changing the fluid ensures it's clean and free from contaminants.

Cons of Changing Transmission Fluid:

Manufacturer Recommendations: Some manufacturers, including BMW, advertise "lifetime" transmission fluid. Changing the fluid before this recommended interval might not be necessary.

Potential Risks: If the transmission fluid has never been changed before and there are high mileage and advanced wear on the vehicle, changing the fluid might stir up contaminants and lead to issues. In such cases, a full transmission flush may not be advisable.

What to Consider:

Vehicle Age and Condition: The age and condition of your BMW are important factors to consider. If it's running well and has been maintained properly, changing the fluid as preventative maintenance may be a good idea.

Type of Service: Rather than a full flush, consider a drain and fill. This is less likely to cause problems associated with stirring up debris in the transmission.

Consult a Professional: It's a good idea to consult a mechanic or technician experienced with BMWs. They can provide a more specific assessment based on the condition of your vehicle and the type of transmission.

Budget: Changing the transmission fluid is an investment in your vehicle's long-term health. Consider whether it's within your budget and if you plan to keep the car for an extended period.

In conclusion, changing your transmission fluid at around 100k miles can be a proactive measure to maintain your BMW's transmission health. However, it's essential to consider the factors mentioned above and seek professional advice to make an informed decision. Your car's age, maintenance history, and budget will play a significant role in determining whether or not this is the right choice for you.
Appreciate 0