F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Baby Seats
Extreme Powerhouse

04-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #23
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
I can't comment as someone connected to the industry... I can only comment as a parent. Absolutely isofix base - if your car is hanging upside down you will want them pinned in their seat by the chassis, not relying on seat belts which we all know sometimes don't slack or tighten when we think they will. I categorically would not use a base that was attached by seat belt.

Yes it's worth having adaptors and ensuring you buy a travel system that can take whatever car seat you use. Frankly Maxi Cosi is THE standard. In terms of those travel systems... Silver Cross is one to avoid - they modern 'plastic' versions of their heritage are just that... plastic. Anything Oyster is great, as is Bugaboo.

The hidden gem in travel systems is the Joolz. Combines the aesthetics of the nicer brands, but is way, way more sturdier and will wear well. Some of the uber pretty ones look terrible after a few months - Joolz not so. And the fact it's a bit more niche means it has class without being obvious.

If you need any other advice on furniture, monitors etc, I can help. In an unofficial capacity. Ya get me?
Does any of this stuff unofficially fall off the back of the unofficial lorry?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:09 AM   #24
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Congrats on the impending arrival, really does change your view on life - in a good way.

There are so many options these days and I suspect any ISOFIX seat is good. We went for a 0-group 1+ seat which also rotates for easy loading/off loading. Also reclines and tilts up as needed.

Our daughter has been in it since she was a newborn and now 2, intheroy she will be in it till 4 .

http://cybex-online.com/gb/carseats/sirona.html
Thanks

Do you not find the lack of portability for the seat an issue, having to put your daughter in and out of the seat each time rather than take the seat with you?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #25
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Do you have split folding rear seats with the isofix connectors housed behind plastic covers? Or are your isofix connectors recessed behind the seats?

Reason I ask is we have the venicci travel system and the isofix base won't go in my F30. Unlike the maxi cosy bases, it has really chunky clips for the isofix that catch on the rear seatbelt holders and won't engage with the fixings on the car.

It fits fine in my wife's Golf (isofix visible behind plastic covers) and when I posted on here about a year ago I was told you should be ok if you have the split folding seats. Just do a test fit - I stupidly assumed isofix meant any isofix seat would be compatible with any isofix car!
Interesting, I had pretty much assumed the same up until now. Rear seats are fixed so just little stickers to show where the Isofix points are. I'll have to get down the shop and test the anchor points with the base!

Apart from the Isofix, how do you find the rest of the Venicci stuff?
Yeah - unless they've changed the base, I don't think it will fit. See photo attached.

Other than that, the stuff is good. The pram is excellent and the suspension makes a big difference, but probably slightly let down by the rest of the travel system. My sister has maxi-cosy and bugaboo stuff, and I'd probably go for that if I was buying again.

Venicci also don't appear to do follow on car seats, so the base is only really of use when they're less than a year. Something else to consider. Sadly there's not much price difference between buying the pram on its own or part of the travel system.
Attached Images

04-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #26
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Yeah - unless they've changed the base, I don't think it will fit. See photo attached.

Other than that, the stuff is good. The pram is excellent and the suspension makes a big difference, but probably slightly let down by the rest of the travel system. My sister has maxi-cosy and bugaboo stuff, and I'd probably go for that if I was buying again.

Venicci also don't appear to do follow on car seats, so the base is only really of use when they're less than a year. Something else to consider. Sadly there's not much price difference between buying the pram on its own or part of the travel system.
Thanks for this. Definitely worth considering something else then. Will have to check out base compatibility. Did you have any issues with markings on the leather? I have oyster so think seat covers are in order.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #27
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for this. Definitely worth considering something else then. Will have to check out base compatibility. Did you have any issues with markings on the leather? I have oyster so think seat covers are in order.
I bought a seat cover for the Joie 360 that we bought for the F30. This is a Group 0/1/2+ or something like that, so suitable from birth.

Seats in the Golf are the tartan cloth so the Venicci base hasn't caused any marks on those, but I'd recommend something similar to what I have for your oyster seats.
Attached Images

04-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #28
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
I can't comment as someone connected to the industry... I can only comment as a parent. Absolutely isofix base - if your car is hanging upside down you will want them pinned in their seat by the chassis, not relying on seat belts which we all know sometimes don't slack or tighten when we think they will. I categorically would not use a base that was attached by seat belt.

Yes it's worth having adaptors and ensuring you buy a travel system that can take whatever car seat you use. Frankly Maxi Cosi is THE standard. In terms of those travel systems... Silver Cross is one to avoid - they modern 'plastic' versions of their heritage are just that... plastic. Anything Oyster is great, as is Bugaboo.

The hidden gem in travel systems is the Joolz. Combines the aesthetics of the nicer brands, but is way, way more sturdier and will wear well. Some of the uber pretty ones look terrible after a few months - Joolz not so. And the fact it's a bit more niche means it has class without being obvious.

If you need any other advice on furniture, monitors etc, I can help. In an unofficial capacity. Ya get me?
Does any of this stuff unofficially fall off the back of the unofficial lorry?
Not quite, but we did get a bugaboo bargain.

The cameleon retails around £900 or £1k. They introduced the 'LCI' for the 2017 Model year. In true BMW fashion. This meant a leather covered handle and one or two different colours.

My wife managed to find a brand new MY 2016 one on eBay for £620. The guy had bought a job lot of the previous years model from mothercare when the new model came out.

eBay is always worth a travel for brand new 'old model' stock.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #29
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

So after taking all your comments into consideration we have had a little rethink and are now looking at the the maxi cosi pebble car seat with base, and the icandy peach push chair and carrier.

I know there have been a lot of good reviews from you lot on the maxi cosi, we have heard good things from other mums on the icandy stuff and it's compatible with the above.

https://www.johnlewis.com/icandy-pea...dle/p237416059

No doubt this is subject to change...
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #30
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
So after taking all your comments into consideration we have had a little rethink and are now looking at the the maxi cosi pebble car seat with base, and the icandy peach push chair and carrier.

I know there have been a lot of good reviews from you lot on the maxi cosi, we have heard good things from other mums on the icandy stuff and it's compatible with the above.

This is very similar to what we’ve got for our 6 week old and it’s all working really well so far. Bought the 2wayfix base off eBay for about £100 - there’s one seller who sells loads, should be easy to find. Works perfectly. Pebble Plus seat bought for £170 from Bournemouth Baby Centre online which is cheapest I could find. Got the iCandy Peach pushchair and carrycot package from Uber Kids (again online). Handles really well. Not tracked it yet...

As others have said, definitely get the adaptors so you can plug the car seat into the pushchair. Bought the clamp/cup holder as well.

Maxi Cosi and iCandy build quality is very good. I don’t have direct experience of other brands but we have had no issues so far.
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-21-2018, 01:52 AM   #31
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Thanks

Do you not find the lack of portability for the seat an issue, having to put your daughter in and out of the seat each time rather than take the seat with you?
Every kid is different, our daughter would always wake up as soon as the car stopped......VW did an add about it a few years ago, even though my car is an EV

One other thing to bare in mind is the size of the pushchair/prams of the various travel systems. If you haven't already checked, make sure they all fit in the boot, especially on a saloon.

We have a babyzen YoYo, again our daughter as been in it since a new born, and now at 2 it works really well as a stroller. Biggest advantage is size, I think its the only pushchair/stroller thats small enough to count as cabin luggage!!

The folding/unfolding action is also just cool!!

https://www.babyzen.com/en/

But don't stress too much, enjoy the first year, time really does fly and they are only small once!!!

Last edited by gangzoom; 04-21-2018 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-23-2018, 01:39 AM   #32
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Every kid is different, our daughter would always wake up as soon as the car stopped......VW did an add about it a few years ago, even though my car is an EV

One other thing to bare in mind is the size of the pushchair/prams of the various travel systems. If you haven't already checked, make sure they all fit in the boot, especially on a saloon.

We have a babyzen YoYo, again our daughter as been in it since a new born, and now at 2 it works really well as a stroller. Biggest advantage is size, I think its the only pushchair/stroller thats small enough to count as cabin luggage!!

The folding/unfolding action is also just cool!!

https://www.babyzen.com/en/

But don't stress too much, enjoy the first year, time really does fly and they are only small once!!!
My daughter has one of those for my grandson, as well as the bugaboo, as it would fit in boot of Mini, works for holidays etc. Used way more than the bugaboo now he is 20 months old.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #33
S111SYA
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320dM Sport Shadow Edition

Quote:

We have exactly this, brilliant quality stuff, can’t recommend it highly enough. One tip would be to head to a baby show somewhere, we went to one at Birmingham nec and saved a fortune buying on the day. We bought all our nursery furniture there and a next to me crib. Saved a packet!

Congratulations by the way! Start stocking up on sleep now
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      08-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #34
gkeic
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Hello All,
Me and my wife are expecting twins and we currently have a F20 2016. Went to a Mothercare event today and realized that I will not be able to sit safely in front if a rear facing car seat with isofix base is fit on the rear seats. So the hunt to replace my car is on and hence my post to request some help.
What are your feedbacks on isofix and group 0 /1/2 rear facing baby seats? How much space is available on the front seats once the child seats are fit ? Is the boot big enough to take a folded double pram.
To be honest I didn't expect the space in front to be that bad in my 1 series, but unfortunately it is, and I am only 175 cm tall.
Anyway, tips, feedbacks, experiences etc will be greatly appreciated from owners / users of F30/F31/G20/F10/G30.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:45 AM   #35
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeic View Post
Hello All,
Me and my wife are expecting twins and we currently have a F20 2016. Went to a Mothercare event today and realized that I will not be able to sit safely in front if a rear facing car seat with isofix base is fit on the rear seats. So the hunt to replace my car is on and hence my post to request some help.
What are your feedbacks on isofix and group 0 /1/2 rear facing baby seats? How much space is available on the front seats once the child seats are fit ? Is the boot big enough to take a folded double pram.
To be honest I didn't expect the space in front to be that bad in my 1 series, but unfortunately it is, and I am only 175 cm tall.
Anyway, tips, feedbacks, experiences etc will be greatly appreciated from owners / users of F30/F31/G20/F10/G30.
Cheers.
First of all - congratulations! You are about to join the biggest club of all, the mysterious world of parenthood! Scary and rewarding at every turn.

Speaking from the F36 perspective - absolutely no issue for space between child's seat (maxicosi pebble/pearl) in an isofix base and the front seat. Either forward or rearward facing both fine.

Two child seats in the back of a F36 would be fine and I am sure the other F3x models likewise.

I wouldn't take a F30 due to boot access. Our F36 was fine with one baby, generally a big boot but we struggled a bit on holidays and airport runs. Family packs a lot and several suitcases plus a buggy is a tough fit.

With two children on the way, I'd play it safe in your position and go F31/F11/G21/G31. F11 provably provides the best space/value proposition. You are going to be glad of the space.

Appreciate 1
gkeic3.00
      08-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #36
gkeic
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMB View Post
First of all - congratulations! You are about to join the biggest club of all, the mysterious world of parenthood! Scary and rewarding at every turn.

Speaking from the F36 perspective - absolutely no issue for space between child's seat (maxicosi pebble/pearl) in an isofix base and the front seat. Either forward or rearward facing both fine.

Two child seats in the back of a F36 would be fine and I am sure the other F3x models likewise.

I wouldn't take a F30 due to boot access. Our F36 was fine with one baby, generally a big boot but we struggled a bit on holidays and airport runs. Family packs a lot and several suitcases plus a buggy is a tough fit.

With two children on the way, I'd play it safe in your position and go F31/F11/G21/G31. F11 provably provides the best space/value proposition. You are going to be glad of the space.
Thank you so much, yes its all exciting times ahead. But sometimes I feel that there are so many things that need sorting out, it can all be a bit intimidating, but 1 step at a time. That is the mantra that we are going by .

Great really appreciate your reply. F36 is a good option, the rear opens as a hatch as opposed to F30/G20. I am also glad that you didn't have to move your front seats forward to fit in an isofix rear facing child seat in your car, that is promising. The pram itself isn't big, we tried one in my F20 boot, and it went in without much issue. The problem is trying to fit anything else with the pram.I agree with your suggestion to look at the F11/F31/G21 versions, I am sure the extra space will be made of good use when we go on holidays/ vacations etc.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 01:48 AM   #37
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

For our first 3 years ago we paid £330 for the cosatto giggle 2 pushchair and isofix travel system. Within a year we had already switched to a Maclaren stroller and Joie car seat. Baby number 2 is now in the same stroller after 7 months. Point being I'd save money for when you get your first proper car seat and stroller which lasts them 2-3+ years.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:57 AM   #38
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:

We have pretty much the same, Maxi Cosi Cabriofix Group 0+ seat with the FamilyFix base and an iCandy Peach travel system (came with the bassinet, carry cot, adapters for the car seat).

We got everything except the isofix base as a package from The Baby and Toddler show at Sandown, came to a total of around £750 with the car seat thrown in for free.

If you've not been to the show, it's worth a visit.

https://babyandtoddlershow.co.uk/
      08-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #39
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

On a (slight) tangent, has anyone got any recommendations for a decently priced Stage 1-2-3 seat? We need a spare for each of my granddaughters (13m and nearly 3yo) that can shift easily between cars, and don't cost a fortune.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18751.50
      08-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #40
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
On a (slight) tangent, has anyone got any recommendations for a decently priced Stage 1-2-3 seat? We need a spare for each of my granddaughters (13m and nearly 3yo) that can shift easily between cars, and don't cost a fortune.
Maxi-cosi Pearl age 9mth-4yrs £125
https://www.johnlewis.com/maxi-cosi-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #41
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Its for your grandkids, price doesnt figure surely!

Edit to say the swivelling ones are so much easier to get the kids into if you want to save your back a bit....
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 03:10 AM   #42
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
We have pretty much the same, Maxi Cosi Cabriofix Group 0+ seat with the FamilyFix base and an iCandy Peach travel system (came with the bassinet, carry cot, adapters for the car seat).

We got everything except the isofix base as a package from The Baby and Toddler show at Sandown, came to a total of around £750 with the car seat thrown in for free.

If you've not been to the show, it's worth a visit.

https://babyandtoddlershow.co.uk/
Ended up having the iCandy travel system and the Kiddy car seat, as was one of the safest around. Although no longer supplied in the UK. All in for £800, through Pramworld I believe.

Will check out the above as starting to look at the next stage seats, 10 months has flown by!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #43
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Hello All,
Cheers.
Congratulations! Everything will change, but you won't remember what life used to be like. It's great!

The F30 was fine for space at the front with the baby seat in behind, actually more of an issue with the X1(that being said the Kiddy car seat is massive!). but the boot space was an issue, especially with loading. If you have twins boot space is likely to be paramount as early doors you can use car seats and adapters but as soon as you start using the pram parts when they want sit up and look around you end up with more stuff. I would suggest you need an estate as a minimum for twins, to make sure life is comfortable, I think a GC would be a compromise. Otherwise look at mid SUV's X1, X3, GLC, etc. There is a surprising amount of space in an X1 but front seat room can be compromised depending on seat choice.

You need to either choose baby stuff to fit the car, or a car to fit the baby stuff. Mothercare will let you test the car seats etc in your vehicle so you can assess the rest. If you get the baby stuff first you will be looking at a leap of faith based on other peoples opinions etc.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
gkeic3.00
      08-14-2019, 03:42 AM   #44
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hello All,
Cheers.
Congratulations! Everything will change, but you won't remember what life used to be like. It's great!

The F30 was fine for space at the front with the baby seat in behind, actually more of an issue with the X1(that being said the Kiddy car seat is massive!). but the boot space was an issue, especially with loading. If you have twins boot space is likely to be paramount as early doors you can use car seats and adapters but as soon as you start using the pram parts when they want sit up and look around you end up with more stuff. I would suggest you need an estate as a minimum for twins, to make sure life is comfortable, I think a GC would be a compromise. Otherwise look at mid SUV's X1, X3, GLC, etc. There is a surprising amount of space in an X1 but front seat room can be compromised depending on seat choice.

You need to either choose baby stuff to fit the car, or a car to fit the baby stuff. Mothercare will let you test the car seats etc in your vehicle so you can assess the rest. If you get the baby stuff first you will be looking at a leap of faith based on other peoples opinions etc.

Good luck!
Others find them fine, but I felt that a mid size SUV was not much of a boot upgrade from the F36. You gain in height with the boot cover out, but lose in length. A X3 would not have worked for us, hence ending up full size and eventually the biggest boot of those.

Estate cars with longer length and lower floors have better boots than mid-size SUVs imho

As you say though, best to choose the car then try the stuff from mothercare.

F15 X5 is one to consider as a lot of car for the money.

Appreciate 1
gkeic3.00