F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Trying to ban the use of Hands free phones in cars.
Studio RSR

08-13-2019, 04:32 AM   #1
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

Trying to ban the use of Hands free phones in cars.

Latest in the list of absolute silly laws people are trying to push through.

Banning the use of hands free phones while driving.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49320473

"An expert told the committee that taking a hands-free phone call caused "essentially the same" amount of distraction as being at the legal limit for alcohol blood level in England and Wales."

If this is the case, why are they allowing passengers in cars, or children / babies? Surely talking to a passenger could be as distracting as a phone call. Never mind a screaming child in the back seat.

Bring on all electric one seater cars.

Whats the world coming to!
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      08-13-2019, 04:42 AM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

The answer is simple, being human means we're in a constant state of distraction to varying degrees so we just need to ban humans and everything will be fine.
      08-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Does seem extreme doesn't it, but remember there are thousands... hundreds of thousands in fact that seem unable to drive safely even without the distraction of hands-free!

Personally when I'm in the car the phone is ignored, there's some setting that says when the phone detects that it's paired with the car calls, texts and alerts are all muted.

Would I vote in favour of a hands-free ban? Probably not, but then there's another way of looking at it. What if the statistic was that just one extra death per year is likely to be caused by the use of hands-free phones? Would that be an acceptable risk? What then if that one extra death was someone close to you? Just playing devil's advocate.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 05:13 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

they will also ban conversation, children in cars, other cars, roads and sneezing in a bid to cut road deaths.

and suicidal birds....

I have excellent concentrat.....

Oh look, cake
      08-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #5
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Does that mean we also have to ban all cars with touchscreen-only controls, like Tesla, Audi etc?

I'm distracted enough by physical controls for things like aircon, seat heating and so on, let alone having to take my eyes off the road to stab at a touch screen.....
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

The RAC said today that passengers are the single most distracting thing in a car.

BAC Mono...the future! 🙈🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻👊🏻
      08-13-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
The RAC said today that passengers are the single most distracting thing in a car.

BAC Mono...the future! 🙈🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻👊🏻
...or a motorbike

But then every time I ride mine I figure I'm a mobile organ donor.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Risk... everything is about risk these days.

There is a risk that you could die at the wheel, can't do much about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #9
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah, police state politics will soon try and ruin everything.

Again, not just touch screen, but satnav's, radio's, smoking, vaping etc... Gona be new touch sensitive steering wheels. Unless both hands are on the wheel, the car will not operate.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTruter View Post
Yeah, police state politics will soon try and ruin everything.

Again, not just touch screen, but satnav's, radio's, smoking, vaping etc... Gona be new touch sensitive steering wheels. Unless both hands are on the wheel, the car will not operate.
I am offended by this statement, what if someone only has one hand
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Has anyone besides me watched drivers who are on the phone? Many become erratic, speed, position on the road and less aware of what is going on around them. There is definitely a problem with drivers concentrating on 'driving' what has the potential to be a lethal machine.

There are issues with phones, besides the way touchscreens, etc., are adding more distractions. Case of "the horse has bolted... " it appears.
Appreciate 1
RobUK2811.00
      08-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #12
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Has anyone besides me watched drivers who are on the phone? Many become erratic, speed, position on the road and less aware of what is going on around them. There is definitely a problem with drivers concentrating on 'driving' what has the potential to be a lethal machine.

There are issues with phones, besides the way touchscreens, etc., are adding more distractions. Case of "the horse has bolted... " it appears.
Classic case of you're behind someone doing 70mph on the motorway then gradually their speed tails off down to 60 or below. You pull out and overtake and yes... they're on the phone!

I've also nearly been removed from my bike when travelling up a dual lane sliproad in lane #2 about to pass the lass in lane #1 who starts drifting into my lane. Poor thing, she was unable to steer, change gear and hold her mobile to her ear all at the same time!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #13
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Driving while talking on the phone (in hand) has been illegal for ages, and I doubt anyone would argue this is not more dangerous. (One hand on wheel, less control etc...) But to look at banning handsfree seems silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
I am offended by this statement, what if someone only has one hand
Sorry, but one handed people will not be allowed to drive because its added risk. No bending of the rules here!
(Or just order some "2nd Hand" device from Alibaba)"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Driving while talking on the phone (in hand) has been illegal for ages, and I doubt anyone would argue this is not more dangerous. (One hand on wheel, less control etc...) But to look at banning handsfree seems silly.
I'm not meaning just hand held mobiles. As RobUK has already mentioned, their speed slows, (most times erratic as well), as you pass you can see them chatting away... it's either chatting to themselves (still a problem ), or on hands free.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #15
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Given they cant enforce the current laws on holding a mobile ( see lots ever day using there phones) i dont see how they will enforce...if it ever gets put to Parliament that is?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #16
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

It's a bit of an odd one, but maybe a comprehensive ban would be cleaner than what we have. Right now I am always tempted to make a hands-free call, or schedule one when I know I am in the car, or someone I need to speak to is. This way, it just takes that option and expectation off the table.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

It's utter nonsense but I'm glad all the other real issues have been solved so our MPs can start wasting their time on this kind of stuff.
Dyl432.50
      08-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

I guess you wont be able to talk with your family either....surly 3 kids and a wife having a heated debate are just as distracting?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
It's a bit of an odd one, but maybe a comprehensive ban would be cleaner than what we have. Right now I am always tempted to make a hands-free call, or schedule one when I know I am in the car, or someone I need to speak to is. This way, it just takes that option and expectation off the table.
How would you police it? If someone is talking in the car they are breaking the law? Impossible to spot from outside so impossible to police fairly.

If they concentrated on people who just cant drive, regardless of distraction, that would be a great start!
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Given they cant enforce the current laws on holding a mobile ( see lots ever day using there phones) i dont see how they will enforce...if it ever gets put to Parliament that is?
Isn't the real issue, many car users, (can't call them drivers) don't see the importance of giving the best concentration levels to the task in hand. Distractions are allowed, even contributed to, the same as in any other part of their lives.

I know driving with my son, with grandsons in the back, any situation when a higher level of concentration is required they get the signal to 'tame it', plus they understand why. Simple stuff, like turning music down, passengers stopping conversation at times drivers require full concentration, all part of driving and passenger discipline.

Problem with phone conversations (and it is coming out in the discussion on this subject) is the person remote from the car can't interact with the driving situation. This is something I've always been aware of, and if I must talk to someone driving along, ask if it is really safe to have the conversation.

Most of the solution is simple and common sense stuff.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      08-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #21
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Simple solution if they do enforce and pull you over...
"No officer, I was not talking on hands free, I was talking to myself / made up friend. You have no right to discriminate due to my state of mind"

Quote:
Most of the solution is simple and common sense stuff.
And that is where you have gone wrong. You assume common sense.
Unfortunately Common Sense died many years ago!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
And that is where you have gone wrong. You assume common sense.
Unfortunately Common Sense died many years ago!
Exactly...

Now the manufacturers are giving the same folks touch screens, another distraction while on the move.

When you see folks on mobile phones walking into lamp posts and the like, you do wonder...
Appreciate 1
rich100874.50