F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream Head Unit that is NOT Android Based
GetBMWParts

03-16-2021, 02:09 AM   #23
sreekanthreddyn@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by coniman View Post
Hi guys. I have one of this units for sale. I’ve upgraded to an Android screen and now it’s getting dust in my garage. I’m from Spain but I can send it worldwide. PM me for more info.
coniman May I know the reason, have you had any issues with this hence upgraded to Android screen? Could you please confirm.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #24
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreekanthreddyn@gmail.com View Post
Quote:
Hi guys. I have one of this units for sale. I've upgraded to an Android screen and now it's getting dust in my garage. I'm from Spain but I can send it worldwide. PM me for more info.
coniman May I know the reason, have you had any issues with this hence upgraded to Android screen? Could you please confirm.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I've upgraded to Android because I wanted to have more features than just CarPlay. Also CarPlay was a little bit stretched and laggy but I think it was fixed with a software update. What's the latest version at this moment?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #25
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoturbo View Post
I also have the dinky 6.5" screen and would love a simple upgrade like this. For me, I'd only want it if wireless CarPlay was reliable. I'm curious to hear other people's experience with that.

Since this uses the Aux input, does that mean I have to run a cable all the way to the center console arm rest? That's not great. Also, is there any way to force it to use the factory microphone instead of the built-in microphone?
UPDATE.

I've upgraded my phone to an Iphone 12.

Wireless CarPlay is now flawless. The other phone was a iPhone X, a few years old.

I've used it extensively in the past week and I can say it's ok.

The challenge I have now is how to configure Car, Phone, Screen to work well so that I always use the default CAR bluetooth rather than the screen one (which has a so so microphone that picks noise in higher speeds)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #26
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcuz View Post
Thanks all for the tips.

I'm trying to decide between an MMI box and one of these as I want CarPlay but don't want to go the Android route. The price difference in the UK is negligible so I'm leaning towards this - coming from a CHAMP2 HU it would easily be the cheapest way to upgrade my 6.5" screen at the same time as getting CarPlay (and much simpler than a full NBT/EVO HU swap).

One question for those with this unit - in the Factory Settings do you have the option to use the OEM Bluetooth? If so, does this run calls through the factory microphone? While the upgraded screen would be great to have, I'd rather not have call quality suffer by using the mic in the unit if I can avoid it.
This is my current struggle. It's somewhat working, but not exactly as I want. The options available from the screen setup also don't helpe here...

So far, I got this....

When I connect to both CarPlay and OEM Bluetooth.

If I answer incoming calls from the steering whell, it uses OEM
If I answer by pressing OK in the screen, it uses the Screen Bluetoogh.

Outgoing calls from the PHONE use OEM
Outgoing calls from screeen (including Siri calls), use the Screen.

I sense that there should be a way to achieve this, but I still don't know how.

I'll gather my current screen configuration and paste here.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #27
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys. I have one of this units for sale. I’ve upgraded to an Android screen and now it’s getting dust in my garage. I’m from Spain but I can send it worldwide. PM me for more info.
Hey Coniman,

Do you know the details in how to configure it so that only OEM bluetooth is used ?

I sense that this is THE hot topic that everybody wants to know and would sure drive adoptions (sales) if there's a structured response for that.

This is the point I'm struggling with.

I've even started a thread specifically related to this:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post27472691
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:19 AM   #28
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

So the audio quality played through Carplay/Android Auto is the same as plugging your phone directly into the aux with this unit? The last aftermarket screen I purchased was from Avinusa and the audio quality was absolute garbage. Have high hopes for this unit but if the audio quality is lacking I may look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:06 AM   #29
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Right after I posted in another thread this pops up. I’m looking to get this as well, though maybe the 10.25” from my 8”. I really want CarPlay and the touch screen would be nice. Anybody upgrade to the 10”? Are the screens literally CarPlay, Idrive, and Android Auto? Any settings for the screen software itself?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #30
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashhong View Post
Right after I posted in another thread this pops up. I’m looking to get this as well, though maybe the 10.25” from my 8”. I really want CarPlay and the touch screen would be nice. Anybody upgrade to the 10”? Are the screens literally CarPlay, Idrive, and Android Auto? Any settings for the screen software itself?
I got the 8".

I can say that they are CarPlay and iDrive (no android here).

There are many settings for the screen. I have another thread where I'm trying to make sense of them, but the translations really don't help much.

Attached, you'll find all the options for the factory settings configuration...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #31
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo.fortes View Post
I got the 8".

I can say that they are CarPlay and iDrive (no android here).

There are many settings for the screen. I have another thread where I'm trying to make sense of them, but the translations really don't help much.

Attached, you'll find all the options for the factory settings configuration...
Thanks. I'm stuck between this and the MMI box. There's no AirPlay right? That's the one thing I want. Wonder why it's not supported out of the box
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #32
lehtee
Private
Rep
Drives: F20

Ordered this few days ago. I've had a 10.25" android unit so far but I've only used it for carplay , so I figured I will do just fine with this. With the android unit I have to use a dongle for carplay and it's quite buggy. Hopefully this will work more smoothly as there is no android system in the background and overall less "moving parts"

I will update when I receive the unit.

It's kinda weird though that they don't sell 10.25" model of this for F20, only 8.8". Not sure why.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #33
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtee View Post
Ordered this few days ago. I've had a 10.25" android unit so far but I've only used it for carplay , so I figured I will do just fine with this. With the android unit I have to use a dongle for carplay and it's quite buggy. Hopefully this will work more smoothly as there is no android system in the background and overall less "moving parts"

I will update when I receive the unit.

It's kinda weird though that they don't sell 10.25" model of this for F20, only 8.8". Not sure why.
What'd you order? Andream? Let us know how the screen is! I'm worried itll be too glossy
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #34
monoturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have this unit and I find the audio quality to be good, no obvious difference from using Aux. Of course, it's important to keep the aux volume at around 50%.

I do have a problem where it occasionally doesn't connect to wireless CarPlay, which is a bit of a pain. I asked the vendor for a software update but they did not have one.

The other problem I have is that, sometimes, the car switches to the CD and turns the audio off from Aux. I haven't figured that out yet.

I'm very happy with the screen quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #35
lehtee
Private
Rep

Quote:
What'd you order? Andream? Let us know how the screen is! I'm worried itll be too glossy
Andream yes
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #36
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E91 / 340i B58 F30

Hi guys,
I'm glad I found this topic. I'd also like to share thoughts and hints on this unit, which is not much discussed as compared to its android counterparts.

So I also have the touch screen 10.25 unit for about a month, as a replacement of my (lame) 6'5'' OEM screen on my F30.
I was so pleased with the device, that I made a friend of mine purchase it for his F20.
I'm using the device with wired Android Auto (I have an Android phone, Samsung S10) and it's almost perfect! My friend is running CarPlay on his iPhone, with an overall satifying experience as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtee View Post
The 10'25'' model fits the F2x! It's only a matter of physical fitment in the dash, which is not perfect but -to me and my friend- totally acceptable. There is solely a small gap between the rear of the screen and the dash, that you can only see from the outside, through the windshield (also, you can fill the gap with some fake-plastic protective sticker, for instance. That's what my friend did at least).

What is more of a hasle is bluetooth management for calls, as bernardo previously stated. But all in all, it more than worth the installation time & money.

Last edited by FastFrog; 05-09-2021 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #37
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

Quote:
I was a bit worried about that, but no issues so far. The issue probably only occur when sunbeans directly hit the screen, but I assume this situation to be rare enough to be acceptable. The screen design is really nice and feels OEM like (I'd say: even more so than my stock 6'5!)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:08 PM   #38
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Hey folks! Can you recommend any if mentioned here screen for me if I want:
- simply bigger screen, like 10.25;
- to use OEM system only;
- to use built in mic for calls;
- to use OEM navigation ( I have hud and rtti);
- to avoid any aux connectors, antennas and cables being placed in the car.

Just confusing with a choose between x5 f15 screen and some from Android family.

The one from X5 has a visible gap behind.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:42 AM   #39
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

If you stick to the iDrive menu (which would be a pity, if you ask me!), this is what you would get by using the screen we are talking about in the thread.

You can configure the screen is such a way that it loads the iDrive display by default at car startup. So, as long as you don't long-press the Menu button of the iDrive, you will have the 10'25 screen displaying OEM iDrive info and using OEM bluetooth, mics, etc. The only thing you would have to make sure of is to reply 'thanks but no thanks' when prompted for the screen's BT pairing.

There are no external cables or wiring, everything is plugged behind the HU level, except the USB cable that you may not have to use if you really don't want to use wired CarPlay nor AndroidAuto.
To be fair, some users have however reported that due to some specific configuration on their car, they couldn't get the sound to work by the internal aux, so they had to plug an external wire to the aux input. To my knowledge, it is not clear what car config leads to this situation, but it seems to be pretty rare.

Last edited by FastFrog; 05-10-2021 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #40
monoturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrog View Post
To be fair, some users have however reported that due to some specific configuration on their car, they couldn't get the sound to work by the internal aux, so they had to plug an external wire to the aux input. To my knowledge, it is not clear what car config leads to this situation, but it seems to be pretty rare.
My understanding is that if you have the Combox in your trunk, you will need to connect the aux cable to your armrest connector. It's a bit unfortunate, but it can be hidden underneath the plastic trim very easily.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 06:18 AM   #41
Automatic
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d F31

Informative video

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #42
aftawerks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Hi All, I've been looking at installing one of these screens in a RHD F20.
The F20 screen they sell is for LHD only, but I think that's just because of the dimensions of the housing/dash - and I think the F30 screen would fit.

Can anyone confirm their F30 screen is the same device as their F20 screen, just in different housing?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:54 AM   #43
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

@aftawerks

- As for the 10'25'' unit: As already mentioned, the device is advertised for F30 but fits both F30 and F20 (tested & approved), except the housing which does not perfectlty fit on the rear
- As for the 8'8'' unit: According to the AE seller, there is an option for F20 or for F30, which probably only differ by the housing.

Worth noting that the only part of the housing 10'25'' unit that doesn't fit on the F20 is removable and is simply clipped on the rear of the device. I'm not sure why Andream doesn't offer a 10'25'' version for F20 with the appropriate removable housing part. But again, the incorrect fitment is pretty minor anyhow.

Last edited by FastFrog; 05-27-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #44
lehtee
Private
Rep

Okay so my unit finally arrived. I got this one: https://www.android-car-dvd.de/colle...-f21-2013-2017

First off, avoid Andream. They say they ship from EU, but my unit was in fact shipped from China and it took almost a month to arrive.

Not much good to say about the unit itself, I'm gonna remove it soon. The screen is not anti-glare and the brightness is not good. Compared to my previous 10.25" Android unit the overall display quality is just too bad, the difference is like night and day. Also having issues with music lagging with Carplay, no such issue with my old unit with carplay dongle.

Does anyone know the password for factory setting menu? Maybe there is something I can tweak to make this at least usable until I get a new unit.
Appreciate 0