F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream Head Unit that is NOT Android Based
Studio RSR

01-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d

Andream Head Unit that is NOT Android Based

Ok. this got me confused.

I have a 2016 F30, with the original 6.5" screen. All I want is a functional, responsive CarPlay, aftermarket rear camera and a larger screen

I'm NOT inclined to go to with the full the Android Head Unit. Seems to me as a very promising solution, but that still doesn't have that maturity. At least not yet.

A snappy, responsive CarPlay that would allow my WAZE and SPOTIFY is all I ask for.

I had my mind set to go for the MMI box for both CarPlay and rear camera. I'd figure the actual screen later.

But then I found this... and it got me really confused...

https://www.android-car-dvd.de/colle...32-f33-f36-f80

It claims that it's NOT an Android Head Unit, but the images certainly look like one.

Would this be a MMI-like device that includes a screen ? If it is, it could be exactly what I want.

Do any of you have any additional information about this ?

Image of the product description where is the claim of not being an Android Head Unit: http://prntscr.com/xk486v

Last edited by bernardo.fortes; 01-24-2021 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: add image
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Primax
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D F36 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo.fortes View Post
Ok. this got me confused.

I have a 2016 F30, with the original 6.5" screen. All I want is a functional, responsive CarPlay, aftermarket rear camera and a larger screen

I'm NOT inclined to go to with the full the Android Head Unit. Seems to me as a very promising solution, but that still doesn't have that maturity. At least not yet.

A snappy, responsive CarPlay that would allow my WAZE and SPOTIFY is all I ask for.

I had my mind set to go for the MMI box for both CarPlay and rear camera. I'd figure the actual screen later.

But then I found this... and it got me really confused...

https://www.android-car-dvd.de/colle...32-f33-f36-f80

It claims that it's NOT an Android Head Unit, but the images certainly look like one.

Would this be a MMI-like device that includes a screen ? If it is, it could be exactly what I want.

Do any of you have any additional information about this ?

Image of the product description where is the claim of not being an Android Head Unit: http://prntscr.com/xk486v
It's right, it is a "mirror" device itself. The software will be based on what you connect, Android or Iphone per se...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primax View Post
It's right, it is a "mirror" device itself. The software will be based on what you connect, Android or Iphone per se...
Thank you Primax.

So, it's sort of a MMI Box + Screen, and no Android. Sounds exactly what I'm looking for
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Thank you Primax.

So, it's sort of a MMI Box + Screen, and no Android. Sounds exactly what I'm looking for
yes, looks really nice for a 10" screen with touch for $310. not having to install the mmi box is also a plus, since finding room for that is not fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
Primax
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D F36 2015

Quote:
Thank you Primax.

I went for the box, instead of this, just because the driving distance to the screen is not somehow safe, because i have to lean, but it's up to you. I already have the wider screen OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:33 PM   #6
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have, eventually, found an user overview / demo of it here.

Really helpful.

Last edited by bernardo.fortes; 01-24-2021 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Tupo
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #7
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just bought it from Andream. Will post results later.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
Automatic
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d F31

Quote:
Just bought it from Andream. Will post results later.
Hi,
Have you installed the unit and can you give a review?
Did you buy the 10.25 inch version?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic View Post
Hi,
Have you installed the unit and can you give a review?
Did you buy the 10.25 inch version?
I did. I bought the 8.8" version as I saw some reports that the 10.25" could be too big.

All I wanted was a hassle-free CarPlay. Just that. That's why I went for it. I didn't want to end up with a full Android HU that may (or may not) have quirks or half baked software etc. And for what I want it really works well. I know that a lot of people want the bells and whistles of a full Android HU. Not my case.

I can't talk about AA as I use iPhone.

My impressions so far...

It delivers. It's a simple CarPlay for your Bimmer.

The Good:
- Audio Quality is surprisingly good
- CarPlay via wire is rock solid. Plug the wire, select the wired CarPlay and you are good to go.
- It is responsive.
- Touch Screen is good
- Siri, with their internal mic, works surprisingly well
- Well, It's CarPlay. Pick your Nav, your audio app and it does what it's expected to.
- Allowed me to upgrade the screen size to 8.8" and get Carplay at a very decent price point.
- iDrive controls: Work well. You can configure the NAV button to either activate BMW NAV or your CarPlay NAV of choice.
- Steering: Volume and Alexa and NEXT / PREVIOUS song control in steering wheel.
- The overall look and feel is good. Hardware looks "OEM-like"
- You can configure the screen to either start in the previous enabled mode (iDrive or it's own screen) or force it to always start through it's own screen
- Phone connection via their mic. it works. Users say that when I called through the internal BMW Bluetooth, audio is better for the other party.

The Bad (things that it should do but I don't think it does well)
- (OLD INFO) CarPlay via Wireless is shaky at best, and definitly less snappy than the wired version. I gave up on that. It doesn't automatically reconnect (Iphone user here). If you go through the process of forcing the bluetooth connection everytime, it works. Not for me.
- (UPDATED INFO) After I upgraded my phone from an old iPhone X to an iPhone 12, Wireless CarPlay has been really good. no compains here.

Where it could be better (personal opinion on some things. Not deal breakers)
- I'd prefer if I could configure it to ALWAYS start with iDrive and as soon as I connected the USB cable, it would jump to CarPlay automatically. I couldn't figure if this is possible (doesn't seem so).
- Screen is reflective. There should be ways to address it.
- Audio quality for other party on phone connection is not fantastic, but does allow communication without further issues.

Limitations (it is an aftermarket product, after all...)
- If you are in Radio Mode, it won't play any Nav Sound
- I couldn't figure a way to maintain the NAV screen and play radio (from car). Radio Apps work as its within Carplay.
- your dashboard will show AUX, as the autdio will always come from there.

I'll make a video overview as soon as I have patience to install the rearview camera.
Attached Images

Last edited by bernardo.fortes; 04-14-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2021, 04:36 AM   #10
Harcrid
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 520D

I installed one of these this week (albeit in my F10) and so far its been impressive. If you purely want the CarPlay features and not the Android bits then it will suit you. I replaced an Android unit for this and I prefer this one as it works more seamlessly with less bugs and quirks compared to the previous Android one. Wireless CarPlay has worked well for me so far with no issues.

Bernardo, if you want Nav screen with car radio still playing then you can enter the factory settings and change AUX select to manual rather than automatic
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #11
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Harcrid

This actually confirms what I suspected as I had issues with not so well polished Android based solutions in the past.

Thanks for the Nav tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #12
Automatic
Sweden
Rep

@bernardo.fortes thank for helpful insights.
Aiming for the 10.25 inch display.
Did you code the output signal to be 1280x480 to match the new display?
Disappointing to hear about the wireless CarPlay, I don't like to have cables around. Where did you mount the usb-connection?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #13
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic View Post
@bernardo.fortes thank for helpful insights.
Aiming for the 10.25 inch display.
Did you code the output signal to be 1280x480 to match the new display?
Disappointing to hear about the wireless CarPlay, I don't like to have cables around. Where did you mount the usb-connection?
No, I did not code it. I want to, but not sure on what to do. Would you know ?

About the USB-Connection... let's say it's a "work in progress" :-)

Since I still have to reopen everything to install the rearview Camera, It's just hanging there below as of now.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #14
Automatic
Sweden
Rep

It seams to depend on the type of HU, if it supports higher resolution.
Here is one way to do it
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 06:10 AM   #15
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Exactly what I’d like. I’ve queried Andream if it will support it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #16
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Automatic and Harcrid

Thanks for the Tips and the BimmerCode tutorial video.

I just went to the car and have successfully coded it.

Apart from the 2 codings for DISPLAY_VARIANTE and DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION (already shown in the video in the previous post), all required was a tweak in the Andream CarPlay configuration, that I show in my video below with results.

Last edited by bernardo.fortes; 02-13-2021 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2021, 05:18 AM   #17
mmcuz
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d

Thanks all for the tips.

I'm trying to decide between an MMI box and one of these as I want CarPlay but don't want to go the Android route. The price difference in the UK is negligible so I'm leaning towards this - coming from a CHAMP2 HU it would easily be the cheapest way to upgrade my 6.5" screen at the same time as getting CarPlay (and much simpler than a full NBT/EVO HU swap).

One question for those with this unit - in the Factory Settings do you have the option to use the OEM Bluetooth? If so, does this run calls through the factory microphone? While the upgraded screen would be great to have, I'd rather not have call quality suffer by using the mic in the unit if I can avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #18
Automatic
Sweden
Rep

bernardo.fortes can you do a video review of the unit?
I don't know what to expect from what I read.
Andream is a brand by Ewaying, https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ewaying.com and the reviews is either 5 stars or 1 and that makes me very suspicious.
Is the build quality so mixed or is it a that many fail with the install.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #19
bernardo.fortes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sure. Will do.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:12 AM   #20
monoturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW

I also have the dinky 6.5" screen and would love a simple upgrade like this. For me, I'd only want it if wireless CarPlay was reliable. I'm curious to hear other people's experience with that.

Since this uses the Aux input, does that mean I have to run a cable all the way to the center console arm rest? That's not great. Also, is there any way to force it to use the factory microphone instead of the built-in microphone?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #21
sreekanthreddyn@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW

Mr

Harcrid

I am planning to install one on my f10. Could you please give me your feedback as you have been using the system for sometime. I am still struggling to understand whether to go with MMI or headhunt with inbuilt airplay.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #22
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Hi guys. I have one of this units for sale. I’ve upgraded to an Android screen and now it’s getting dust in my garage. I’m from Spain but I can send it worldwide. PM me for more info.
Appreciate 0