F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Middle lane driving
proTUNING Freaks

07-18-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Middle lane driving

After a few thousand miles of driving experience in France, I don't know about you but I'm really appalled and infuriated by 'middle' lane driving in the UK. I say 'middle' because many of our roads can be 4/5 lanes in places.

You probably know, in France they are very good at sticking to the right unless overtaking and you'll be quickly tailgated/flashed if you're not on the right and not overtaking. But in the UK that concept has almost disappeared; any lane except the far left or far right (so called 'slow' and 'fast lanes') is completely acceptable to stay in, regardless of the traffic around you.

I'm coming the conclusion that this is seriously effecting our road capacity....there is no doubt in my mind people not overtaking, but not driving on the far left, are causing unnecessary congestion. I think it's time for government/driving agency intervention reminding people to stick to the left unless overtaking; road signs, TV adverts, placing more emphasis during driving tests...and enforcement such as the first prosecution of that middle lane driver recently. Trust me, go out there and think; "if all the car's in front of me who aren't overtaking were on the left how much clearer would the road be?"

'Middle' lane driving also tempts people to undertake which can be dangerous.

Really get's my goat. Ignorant fckrs!

What do you do when you come across someone who's clearly not overtaking but is not on the left? I've always gone around them and come back into their lane and then to the far left in an effort (albeit it feels in vain) to make it clear that they could also be on the left! Now I am tempted to do what they do in France...sit on their tail and flash until they move regardless of whether there is an overtaking available to me.

Wow....that was cathartic

Last edited by zofinger; 07-18-2015 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 3
      07-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #2
WullieD20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Thumbs up

Says it all about the quality of driving in this country.

Similarly those cnuts that drive on the right hand lane of a dual carriageway at 'wotever' speed because they're turning right at the roundabout coming up in three miles..... Ignorant f***ers.
You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....F36, 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport Auto; Tanzanite Blue; ACS springs, ACS engine tuning upgrade; ASC rear exhaust box (non-export). Need NRFs!!
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2015, 01:54 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Just dial 101, pass over the registration number of the car.

Explain couple blokes with beards and thought you saw a gun...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:55 AM   #4
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

I use the M1 every day for work and see this all the time. You're right, it's got worse, people don't seem to realise the bottleneck they're creating behind them.

I, like you, overtake then move all the way over to the left but most of the time they don't even realise what you're doing. Sometimes I gesture the number of lanes available (shame it's never two) but none of it's worth it as you just look like a t**t yourself half the time.

I think that a lot of people who drive in the middle of the motorway are worried about having to overtake slower vehicles that are in the left lane/s; motorway too busy for them, don't like having to pull out into a 'faster' lane. Some are just fuc***g stupid though!

Education is what's required but for many it's far too late. It's not taught on our driving lessons which is crazy imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:04 AM   #5
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Exactly, when are drivers actually taught to drive on motorways..... Never!

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:07 AM   #6
WullieD20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRG View Post
Majority are just fuc***g stupid though!
Fixed!
You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....F36, 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport Auto; Tanzanite Blue; ACS springs, ACS engine tuning upgrade; ASC rear exhaust box (non-export). Need NRFs!!
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2015, 02:19 AM   #7
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Amazes me the number of people who I come up behind and have to flash to move over because they are completely unaware I am there, only to see them move back out after I've passed.

Should be able to submit dash cam footage in exchange for £20 a pop.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:27 AM   #8
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

This puts a smile on your face though. Be careful with the sound if you've kids about.

Appreciate 3
      07-18-2015, 02:39 AM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRG
This puts a smile on your face though. Be careful with the sound if you've kids about.

Haha! I was hoping that's what happened rather than a rear-ender!

I think part of the issue here in the UK is our 70mph speed limit, as most folk are going to be going that speed or even a bit above it, hence they feel they've no need to move over as soon as the roads get busy, as no one should be going much faster than them.

Whereas in France and of course especially in Germany then you can't do that as someone else can legitimately be going quite a bit quicker, so they've got the 'moral high ground' to flash you out of way if you're a bit slow compared to the UK.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2015, 02:52 AM   #10
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

One of the things I think could be contributing to this is Sat Nav, most people have one of these nowadays, and they always tell you way in advance to say stay right in 1 mile and all these dumb wit drivers pull in to the middle lane.

Just my two penny's worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:54 AM   #11
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

I think part of the issue here in the UK is our 70mph speed limit, as most folk are going to be going that speed or even a bit above it, hence they feel they've no need to move over as soon as the roads get busy, as no one should be going much faster than them.

Whereas in France and of course especially in Germany then you can't do that as someone else can legitimately be going quite a bit quicker, so they've got the 'moral high ground' to flash you out of way if you're a bit slow compared to the UK.
Not so sure it's because our limit is 70mph per se. In France it's 130km/h or 120km/h - there is a limit. Point being - if you're doing the speed limit in France and someone comes up behind, you move over. Actually, there's often no need to move over because you're already on the right unless you're overtaking.

Agreed completely though; def a mentality in UK of "'I'm doing the speed limit so if you want to go faster you're in the wrong, you're breaking the law." Not so in France - they don't take a moral high ground...if you want to go 150km/h then no one will try to pretend they are enforcing the law.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #12
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Quote:

I Think you've hit it on the head there. Lots of drivers think that once they hit the speed limit they have a moral imperative to keep everyone else there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:56 AM   #13
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:

You've hit the nail on the head there!

Edit, doh, too slow.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:57 AM   #14
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
One of the things I think could be contributing to this is Sat Nav, most people have one of these nowadays, and they always tell you way in advance to say stay right in 1 mile and all these dumb wit drivers pull in to the middle lane.

Just my two penny's worth.
Good idea - let's get Sat Nav's to remind drivers to stay left unless overtaking or turning right. Everyone has one - an easy way to get the message out there. Particularly as some people do EXACTLY what their sat nav tell's them to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:01 AM   #15
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

It really boils my piss
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:02 AM   #16
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:

What a commentary, they should get him on f1! Or top gear 2.

That would have been a cracking conversation with the lane hogger, the traffic cop would have been pretty p*ssed of I bet. No let off for him lol.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:07 AM   #17
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
What a commentary, they should get him on f1! Or top gear 2.

That would have been a cracking conversation with the lane hogger, the traffic cop would have been pretty p*ssed of I bet. No let off for him lol.
Would have been even better if the commentary ended with..."yes mum, I'll be home in 20mins".
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2015, 03:25 AM   #18
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger
Quote:

Not so sure it's because our limit is 70mph per se. In France it's 130km/h or 120km/h - there is a limit. Point being - if you're doing the speed limit in France and someone comes up behind, you move over. Actually, there's often no need to move over because you're already on the right unless you're overtaking.

Agreed completely though; def a mentality in UK of "'I'm doing the speed limit so if you want to go faster you're in the wrong, you're breaking the law." Not so in France - they don't take a moral high ground...if you want to go 150km/h then no one will try to pretend they are enforcing the law.
I agree that they're still better in France but in the main they do have quieter roads so people can see that they can get back out to the fast lane when they reach the next truck.

In the UK most folk daren't leave the outside lane as once roads get busy they know that no one else will let them back out.

Then you get the folk who take advantage of that and just cruise up the middle lane and squeeze in further up...

I really do think it's road capacity that's the issue. The M1 is much worse than the M40 for example, mainly because it's so much busier.

My suggestions to change the situation:

1) HGVs are restricted to the inside lane when it's busy- they don't need to be overtaking to go 1mph faster.

2) raise the speed limit - this would reduce the legitimacy of sticking in outside lane unless you really are getting a move on.

3) allow overtaking on the inside! That way folk would have to pay more attention and there would be reduced need for everyone to sit in the outside lane.

Any of 1 and 3 in combo with raised speed limits would really help.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #19
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Never had this problem.

But then.

Who would want a madman two inches from their rear bumper with a set of crazy eyes in his head?

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:40 AM   #20
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
I agree that they're still better in France but in the main they do have quieter roads so people can see that they can get back out to the fast lane when they reach the next truck.

In the UK most folk daren't leave the outside lane as once roads get busy they know that no one else will let them back out.

Then you get the folk who take advantage of that and just cruise up the middle lane and squeeze in further up...

I really do think it's road capacity that's the issue. The M1 is much worse than the M40 for example, mainly because it's so much busier.

1) HGVs are restricted to the inside lane when it's busy- they don't need to be overtaking to go 1mph faster.

2) raise the speed limit - this would reduce the legitimacy of sticking in outside lane unless you really are getting a move on.

3) allow overtaking on the inside! That way folk would have to pay more attention and there would be reduced need for everyone to sit in the outside lane.

Yep totally agree.

The other thing that I have found very noticeable, is the number of drivers who exceed or get very close to their comfort level speed.

Example, traffic is at 50 in outside lane, gradually speeds up, as the speed increases you realise they are people in the same lane not comfortable going fast but don't know how to or won't pull over.

They will actually speed up to get to the next batch of slow traffic....

Seriously watch how others behave at speed.

You also have those (I've talked to and worked with some) that are actually nervous about overtaking EVEN on a motorway.

Sorry but how do these people get to drive?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:53 AM   #21
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:

Yep totally agree.

The other thing that I have found very noticeable, is the number of drivers who exceed or get very close to their comfort level speed.

Example, traffic is at 50 in outside lane, gradually speeds up, as the speed increases you realise they are people in the same lane not comfortable going fast but don't know how to or won't pull over.

They will actually speed up to get to the next batch of slow traffic....

Seriously watch how others behave at speed.

You also have those (I've talked to and worked with some) that are actually nervous about overtaking EVEN on a motorway.

Sorry but how do these people get to drive?
Agree with you on this. I've seen people nervous about overtaking/pulling out/changing lane etc... but if they've never been taught how to drive on a motorway what should we expect? I know that most others haven't but some really do struggle and it's clear to see.

As an apprentice my boss used to get me to drive his van just about everywhere and it involved an awful lot of motorway driving. At the time I hated it as he was constantly bo$$ocking me for not moving over/wrong lane/too slow/too fast and so on. I look back now and I'm really thankful for it as he basically taught me how to drive on the motorways and it's stuck with me, I hope
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 04:07 AM   #22
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Agree with you on this. I've seen people nervous about overtaking/pulling out/changing lane etc... but if they've never been taught how to drive on a motorway what should we expect? I know that most others haven't but some really do struggle and it's clear to see.
I do agree - but if people don't know how to drive/too scared to change lanes, what's their excuse versus French drivers. Just how busy UK roads are? We need to spend more on education/enforcement and that will increase road capacity. Cheaper to building new lanes/roads too!
Appreciate 0