F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Middle lane driving
proTUNING Freaks

07-18-2015, 05:10 AM   #23
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

and another thing that annoys me is drivers and bus lanes. My journey into town involves a bus lane on a short dual carriageway which is clearly signposted to show it is only in force 7.30am to 9.30am , Monday to Friday. Yet despite this signage many many drivers pull over to the outside lane to avoid the bus lane at all times of the day and night !

I presume they either can't read or tell the time !

They are offended when you flash them to move over whilst pointing at your watch....

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #24
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

French are bastards

Can't drive
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 05:29 AM   #25
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

What really annoys me is when someone in the outside lane on a dual carriageway going slower than the inside lane, happens all the time on the A2
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #26
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

I tend to get out and punch them whenever possible

Failing that I calculate how points I would get to run them over and if there is double points chances, that's usually my second option.

Unfortunately, having a fairly quick car, I just undertake, overtake, get out of the way, and crack on with my journey. I see so much of it every week I can't be bothered to let it get to me anymore!

Andy
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #27
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I occasionally carefully go by on the inside. Glance at the driver, just to see they are blissfully unaware of there being any problem.
As you say, there needs to be an awareness program implemented to educate those who really don't realise they are doing anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #28
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep

just undertake

the issue being as 335dja pointed out

they aren't aware, so if you undertake, they won't do anything because they just off in their own road
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #29
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I find the French lane disciple is a bit over the top to be honest. They seem over emphasise returning to the right, without really leaving adequate breaking distance. They will cut in soon after passing in even the worst of conditions, effectively removing all forward visibility from the passed vehicle.
Having done a few French trips recently I overall find their driving on multi lane road to be preferable to ours though.
I live up north and driving northern motorways in the evening I often encounter the middle lane hogg. But, on a quiet motorway they can be dispatched by the close buzz of the inside-outside-inside manoeuvre...
On a moderately busy 3 lane road my time interval between passing cars and returning to the inside is entirely dependant on the traffic. If, say I'll be passing another car in less than a minute or so, I won't pull in unless the outside lane is full. But, unlike much of the motoring public, I use my mirrors...
      07-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #30
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

ive got a bit of a different view on the whole thing, theres *holding the lane* then theres *lane hogging*.

2 completely different things that serve an entirely different purpose amd if your accustomed to driving any type of lgv youl know this one.

i * hold lanes * very often, if im in the middle lane and a gap appears on the inside but i can see up ahead is another slower moving vehicle ill hold the middle lane untill its economically justified to move over to the left to keep momentum and avoid being trapped in a lane.

however lane hoggingis just plane idiotic and unjust, its even worse and downright dangerous in the fast lane as im sure nearly everyone has experianced at somepoint
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #31
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
ive got a bit of a different view on the whole thing, theres *holding the lane* then theres *lane hogging*.

2 completely different things that serve an entirely different purpose amd if your accustomed to driving any type of lgv youl know this one.

i * hold lanes * very often, if im in the middle lane and a gap appears on the inside but i can see up ahead is another slower moving vehicle ill hold the middle lane untill its economically justified to move over to the left to keep momentum and avoid being trapped in a lane.

however lane hoggingis just plane idiotic and unjust, its even worse and downright dangerous in the fast lane as im sure nearly everyone has experianced at somepoint
That's fair enough, there's no point moving over if you will be back out in a few seconds, unless your dawdling too and there is traffic clearly going quicker coming up behind you. If I'm overtaking I'm not moving in until I can move in, let the car passed and get back out again. Doesn't happen often though, getting overtaken

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #32
Bricktrix
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback

Quote:
+1 Agreed with lane hogging vs lane holding.

What gets my goat even more, is you sit patiently in the 3rd lane behind a vehicle, within a 3 lane congestion Mway, and said vehicle infront insists on using it like lane 1, drive at their own speed (usually slower than lane 1 and 2), leave gaps the length of a town between them and the vehicle in front of them, and then when opportunity arrises for them to pull over into a gap in lane 2, just stay in lane3! This goes on for 5 or 6 times over 35-50 miles, the driver behind me decides (probably at the same time as me) enough is enough, undertake them, then pulls back in lane 3 and drives even slower with even bigger gaps than the original twat infront!
Happens everyday I'm on the motorway, guaranteed, thats when I give up and hit sport+
Previous BMW's owned in last 30 years: E30 C2 2.3 Alpina, E30 325i (multiples), E30 M3, E36 M3 x2, last one owned for 9 years. 11 years out, got an F36 4GC then Merc AMG C43 Coupe. Now Audi RS5 Sportback.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #33
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
What really annoys me is when someone in the outside lane on a dual carriageway going slower than the inside lane, happens all the time on the A2
Depends on which lane you call "outside"......
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #34
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
I find the French lane disciple is a bit over the top to be honest. They seem over emphasise returning to the right, without really leaving adequate breaking distance.

Having done a few French trips recently I overall find their driving on multi lane road to be preferable to ours though.
Not wanting to blur the topic somewhat I left out commentary on what I hated about the French driving. And that's the cutting in front of you AND the amazing 'Indicate and Go' routine; if there's a space they'll be in it. I also can't believe how close up each others asses they get at 80mph+. After about 1,500 miles I went from 'these French drivers are terrible' to 'these French drivers are terrible but UK is worse/more annoying'.

Like you though, overall I prefer driving in France as I can decide whether i drive up someone's ass and if someone's up mine I can move to the right, speed up or slow down. i.e.: i can do something about it.

Spend some of the road budget on educating and enforcing lane discipline please.

Last edited by zofinger; 07-19-2015 at 03:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #35
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep

Where in France you all driving
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #36
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Normandy and Brittany.

St Malo to La Baule.
      07-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #37
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Normandy and Brittany.

St Malo to La Baule.
Ah never been up tut north
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #38
snipnoob86
Major
Rep

ive not drove in france but we are driving there mid august for 2 weeks at disney. looking forward to it! costing a fortune though already got high vis jackets but need a bulb kit can anyone recommend an emergency bulb kit for our cars? pref absokute rock bottom price not bothered about quality aslog as they *would* fit and last a trip to the garage
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #39
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
ive not drove in france but we are driving there mid august for 2 weeks at disney. looking forward to it! costing a fortune though already got high vis jackets but need a bulb kit can anyone recommend an emergency bulb kit for our cars? pref absokute rock bottom price not bothered about quality aslog as they *would* fit and last a trip to the garage
Franc driving requirements here:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post18160236
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #40
snipnoob86
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger
Quote:
Franc driving requirements here:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post18160236
great thanks so no bulb kit required. looks like i need a gb sticker and some breathalyzers
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #41
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

That is really annoying especially when you can see drivers just merging quite empty motorway and aiming the outside lane just after merge. I easily stayed on an empty inside lane for at least one mile while those idiots where on the outside lane doing 65mph. not enough enforcement I have to say.

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 03:02 AM   #42
Flyboy-fil
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d B47

Although we're not perfect neither are tr French. Even if you've passed someone if they end up behind you because you've been slowed by slower moving traffic they'll flash and indicate, almost angrily, but as soon as the slow car ahead moves over you resume uor normal speed and leave them behind. That aggressive tailing and flashing doesn't help.

I guess if we're taking about poor motorway driving over here one of my pet hates is when the car you're about to pass speeds up so as not to be stuck/slowed by traffic ahead in his or her lane. However rather than a positive acceleration to get ahead and move right they gently try and go a bit faster causing you, the passing car, to speed up just to complete the move. It often results in them having to brake and get angry when they get too close to the slow car in their lane. The biggest irony is that F-wit features could have stayed at exactly the same speed as slotted in nicely behind you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #43
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy-fil View Post
....I guess if we're taking about poor motorway driving over here one of my pet hates is when the car you're about to pass speeds up so as not to be stuck/slowed by traffic ahead in his or her lane. However rather than a positive acceleration to get ahead and move right they gently try and go a bit faster causing you, the passing car, to speed up just to complete the move. It often results in them having to brake and get angry when they get too close to the slow car in their lane...
Absolutely. And braking a little causes the car behind them to do the same a little harder...and so on. If the roads are busy enough BINGO....congestion. And I bet the inside lane is clear!

Definitely an increasing culture in the UK of not wanting (or it's too challenging) to change lanes
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 03:38 AM   #44
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Absolutely. And braking a little causes the car behind them to do the same a little harder...and so on. If the roads are busy enough BINGO....congestion. And I bet the inside lane is clear!

Definitely an increasing culture in the UK of not wanting (or it's too challenging) to change lanes
I remember going to a maths demonstration (calculus if I remember correctly).

The bloke from the highways agency showed a video of how some traffic jams start and the maths behind contra flow systems.

Any how, the traffic jam bit is, one person in front brakes with a negative delta of say 2mph, then it's something like every nTH car looses a further 2 mph, however if speed is high and spacing close, then that 2mph changes to something like a 6mph delta.

Result, those phantom traffic jams that just suddenly clear and you can't see why they occurred.
Appreciate 1