F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Flat Tyre in 12 years
ARMA SPEED

07-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xdrive MSport+ Auto

Flat Tyre in 12 years

Hi all,

For the very first time in 12 years of my driving life I have had a flat tyre. While taking a corner I heard a bang and a warning message came up re the tyre pressure, a very small mark on the alloy wheel and the side wall of the tyre has a small cut. I take it as a non repairable case. The worst part is that I had bought a tyre insurance last week and it has a 28 days cooling off period so that insurance is no good to me.

BMW did recover my car from the road side and can't do anything till Monday.

My question is, can I call mobile tyre company or may be KwikFit or shall I just wait till Monday and have it done by BMW?

Thanks
Saurabh
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

I'd phone round a few local places to get a feel for the price and if they have a tyre in stock. Try black circles and see what the earliest fitting slot is. That said you may find that BMW are competitive and you can use the other prices as a bargaining tool. Keep your old tyre and claim on it in a few months 😀
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
I'd phone round a few local places to get a feel for the price and if they have a tyre in stock. Try black circles and see what the earliest fitting slot is. That said you may find that BMW are competitive and you can use the other prices as a bargaining tool. Keep your old tyre and claim on it in a few months 😀

You are a star and you get me out of trouble every time..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

Oh, commit insurance fraud, what an excellent idea!

The only trouble with the cunning (sorry I meant stupid) plan is that the insurance company might want to either supply the new tyre or at the very least a receipt for the type and one dated a month before the claim might not go unnoticed.

Just man up and buy a new tyre.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
Oh, commit insurance fraud, what an excellent idea!

The only trouble with the cunning (sorry I meant stupid) plan is that the insurance company might want to either supply the new tyre or at the very least a receipt for the type and one dated a month before the claim might not go unnoticed.

Just man up and buy a new tyre.
I think the suggestion was to buy and fit a replacement tyre (keeping the punctured one), wait until the policy is >28 days old, pay to have the punctured tyre refitted (keeping the 'paid new') then make a claim.

Then he gets a new tyre from the insurance company and a spare, but only if the insurance company or the fitter let him keep the tyre that's been removed (unlikely).

Not saying I'm in favour, but it might be workable.

Fitters know that many with tyre insurance are milking it. I have a genuine puncture a couple of weeks ago and the insurance company asked me to drive to a Halfords Auto Centre twice so that two lots of photos could be taken of the tyre. Apparently it's common for drivers to hacksaw the head off a screw, push it into the tread, claim for a replacement tyre, then try to keep the 'punctured' tyre as a free spare.

Obviously the more people that abuse their policies, the more likely that these policies will cease to be commercially viable and will either be withdrawn or will prices will rise.

Same as always; the few spoil it for the many.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers for your concern guys. I DID MAN UP and bought a new tyre.

No harm done so you all can relax.

Saurabh
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 04:53 AM   #7
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

No one was advising the OP to not buy a tyre and he already has tyre insurance. Now buying insurance after getting a puncture is wrong but would actually cost more than the tyre any way. This guy had a genuine puncture so chill out guys
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

This is a really bold far reaching, prediction.

Who knows if tyres will even have air inside them in 12 years. Good luck with it, drive safe on 18/7/2027!
      07-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
No one was advising the OP to not buy a tyre and he already has tyre insurance. Now buying insurance after getting a puncture is wrong but would actually cost more than the tyre any way. This guy had a genuine puncture so chill out guys
Cheers mate.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
This is a really bold far reaching, prediction.

Who knows if tyres will even have air inside them in 12 years. Good luck with it, drive safe on 18/7/2027!
No driving on 18/07/27. I have already subbmitted a potential sicky for 180727..
Appreciate 0