F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Searching for new Underseats
Studio RSR

10-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Searching for new Underseats

I have a 2016 F80 that the HK system was removed and added all Focal drop in speakers with an Audison 8.9f powering them all. i also have a 12w6 with a 750/1 running that. Problem is I blew one of the Focal ISUB under seats and its sucky to hear. looking on the forum I cant find anything good to replace them with besides maybe the Earthquakes if they qualify for a midbass...???
Wanted to go with Jehnert' s or something in the list i saw floating in here but their ALL out of stock. or discontinued.

I've been around for many years on this forum, love the ideas and back and forth within the members. Ive searched in these fourms and cant find an answer.
would it be a good move to add the Earthquake XI and use the DSP to tune them for MidBass duty or you guys have any other ideas that is in stock i overlooked.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You would not want to use Earthquakes for midbass, they're not suitable. I wouldn't get another Focal, the price on those is ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with the H-K underseats, if you still have them you should put them back in.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You would not want to use Earthquakes for midbass, they're not suitable. I wouldn't get another Focal, the price on those is ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with the H-K underseats, if you still have them you should put them back in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Interesting…I've thought of this but was afraid they would be over powered by the amp. What's your suggestion on crossover setting for these?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Overpowering them isn't the issue. The Earthquake specs, unlike OEM and for that matter most aftermarket woofers, are optimized to give good results down to 30Hz. The necessary trade off to achieve that is lower sensitivity above 60Hz. If you're using a separate sub the last thing you need from the underseats is good response to 30Hz at the cost of sensitivity above 60Hz. Crossing over from the sub to the underseats between 60 and 80Hz will give the best results, with the exact frequency determined by trial and error.
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      10-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

I went through the research process for 8” under-seat woofers on both this forum and some Car Audio specific forums. This forum had some early participation from Musicar NW, a higher end custom car audio shop in Portland, OR that specialized in BMW upgrades and who I used for my installations.

Current preferences for the top 8” shallow mount woofers are Audio Development W800-NEO, Illusion Audio Carbon C8 and Focal Utopia 8WM. Most choosing these drivers will also have a true subwoofer, after market amplifiers and DSP and midrange door speakers that can perform down to 250 or so with the under seat woofers handling down to 80. All subject to a number of variables including the cabin.

I made it a point to research even the free information generous people offered by searching their user names and real names on the internet across multiple forums to get a sense for their level of expertise. I put weight on those that have actually installed and tuned the top recommended drivers and for my 3 series decided on Jehnert XE200 8" Woofer Drivers. For my X6 it became difficult to find Jehnert’s so I narrowed by decision down to Audison APBMW S8-4, Audio Development W800-NEO and the newly redesigned Illusion Audio C8 drivers ultimately deciding on the Illusion Audio Carbon C8’s.

Budget can be different for owners and price is relative but these are not the least expensive options especially when you add supporting quality products for an entire system. It was worth the price for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:11 AM   #6
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

If anyone is still interested, I have a pair of unused Jehnert underseat woofers. Planned for my next BMW but never installed as due to new company policy no BMW allowed
I‘m in Germany, but can ship to USA.
Appreciate 0