F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Snow shoes..... anyone go with 225/55s?
ARMA SPEED

08-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
PJ Gross
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335x GT

Just ordered a set of Blizzaks for my 400M wheels.

I need to edit my post. I actually ended up going with 235/50s instead of 225/55s. Sorry for the confusion. Same thoughts and effects below, just a bit less increase in diameter than previous.

My thoughts were:
1) slightly more sidewall for pot holes
2) slightly more ground clearance for ruts
3) slightly less mileage racked up on the odo

Ok, I'm joking with #3 as an actual reason.

Anyone else ever go this route?

I always check speed with GPS and at the moment my car over states speed checked both with GPS and self radar stations so maybe these will correct the calibration!

Interestingly, saved a few $$ too with tire rack with the 235s. They also threw in road hazard for free which is appreciated with Michigan fall and spring road conditions.

My CTS-V had 245mm snow tires as a downsize, so I don't anticipate the extra 10mm making these snow tires less effective. I should have plenty of weight on them to keep cutting through the snow!

PJ
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
washufiddyfo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340GT x-Drive

I bought a set of winters from a forum member here. They are Dunlop Winter Sports 225/55 but they were on a second set of rims at 17". I have only used them for one winter so far, but they were fine for winter performance.

However, being R17 instead of R18 puts them a full inch smaller diameter than yours, so I can't speak to any experience with going up almost an inch from stock.

Let us know how the Blizzaks turn out for you. I might get another season out of these but will probably be replacing soon, looking at those and the Sottozero.

Last edited by washufiddyfo; 10-03-2019 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:45 AM   #3
Vladish
Rep
Drives: BMW 3GT 320d

I have 225/55/17 winter and summer tyres. Very comfortable to drive, but not good for steering.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

How capable is xdrive on all seasons in the snow? I have the factory 18s on the all season runflats that i plan to use for winter duty this year as they still have a lot of tread left. After i run them down, i want to pursue a set of performance winters (have a dedicated summer setup.) We only average around 22" of snow per year but travel semi frequently up to cleveland and a couple trips across the snow belt for skiing.

I am probably going to just test them out in early winter before making a decision. I run winters on my other car (fwd) but no experience with awd and all seasons

@PJ Gross if you remember, please update this once you get to test out the tires you chose
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
PJ Gross
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
How capable is xdrive on all seasons in the snow? I have the factory 18s on the all season runflats that i plan to use for winter duty this year as they still have a lot of tread left. After i run them down, i want to pursue a set of performance winters (have a dedicated summer setup.) We only average around 22" of snow per year but travel semi frequently up to cleveland and a couple trips across the snow belt for skiing.

I am probably going to just test them out in early winter before making a decision. I run winters on my other car (fwd) but no experience with awd and all seasons

@PJ Gross if you remember, please update this once you get to test out the tires you chose
Well, snow shoes on!
Holy crap what a difference compared to the conti runflats! Butter smooth and not too much hum. Fills out the wheel wells a touch more, and mph overstated by 1mph at 60 instead of 2mph.

I didn't wash the wheels yet so they're filthy but wanted to put up info since it's that time of year!
(and since I can't get pics to load from phone now I have a few washed pics)
(wow, I promise all were oriented correctly on my computer?)
Attached Images

Last edited by PJ Gross; 10-04-2019 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: added pics
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Gross View Post
Well, snow shoes on!
Holy crap what a difference compared to the conti runflats! Butter smooth and not too much hum. Fills out the wheel wells a touch more, and mph overstated by 1mph at 60 instead of 2mph.

I didn't wash the wheels yet so they're filthy but wanted to put up info since it's that time of year!
(and since I can't get pics to load from phone now I have a few washed pics)
(wow, I promise all were oriented correctly on my computer?)
Have you guys up north got any snow yet? Today is first normal weather October day, set records in central Ohio for high temps this week. Still only in the 50's this morning. I try to not swap wheels/tires over until i see constant temps under 40 in the mornings
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
PJ Gross
Private
Rep

No snow, but my Conti's were on their last bit of tread before cords and I was tired of the rattling everything from them.

It will be consistently below 70 the rest of the month here in Michigan. I have 2 weeks of flights for work and then a family flight trip at the end of the month so I won't be hurting anything having them on now.

I didn't want to get back from California on November 4th and have bald tires and 6" of snow waiting for us.

-PJ

(we set a record Monday, 89 or so, but this AM was 46F when I left for work) Crazy climates.....
Appreciate 0