F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > What springs should I get?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
xcviwp6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M-Sport

What springs should I get?

I have H&R Super Sport Springs on M-Sport Stock Suspension. I bought the car like that. But ride quality is horrible especially on NJ roads. So I want get rid of the springs.

What springs should I get for ride quality to become better? I can't find stock springs for RWD.

or
Any other springs that lowers car but not as drastically but ride quality still good?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the harshness is coming from early bump stop engagement. You might want to think about changing those out for lower profile ones along with the springs.

Eibach springs always get my recommendation due to the fact that you can see their data sheets and know what you're getting, or choose the kit that will give you what you want even if it's not the "recommended" kit for your car.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcviwp6 View Post
I have H&R Super Sport Springs on M-Sport Stock Suspension. I bought the car like that. But ride quality is horrible especially on NJ roads. So I want get rid of the springs.

What springs should I get for ride quality to become better? I can't find stock springs for RWD.

or
Any other springs that lowers car but not as drastically but ride quality still good?
H&R Sport springs are less aggressive, both in drop and spring rate. Either way, you might want to consider new dampers and shorter bumpstops to match the shorter springs with higher spring rates.
      09-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
xcviwp6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the harshness is coming from early bump stop engagement. You might want to think about changing those out for lower profile ones along with the springs.

Eibach springs always get my recommendation due to the fact that you can see their data sheets and know what you're getting, or choose the kit that will give you what you want even if it's not the "recommended" kit for your car.
Quote:

Thank you! I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Love my dinan's.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:

or
How many miles does your car have at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
xcviwp6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:

or
How many miles does your car have at the moment?
44k miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
44k miles.
What was the mileage when H&R Super Sport springs were installed?

Lowering springs can shorten the life of OEM shocks because OEM shock travel hasn't been designed to match lowering springs. Add bad roads to the mixture and OEM shock lifespan can shorten further.

I suggest to inspect the health of OEM shocks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #9
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Lowering springs can shorten the life of OEM shocks because OEM shock travel hasn't been designed to match lowering springs.
I don't agree with this statement. As long as the piston is within its allowed travel (not hitting either the top or bottom of the damper while in use) then it doesn't matter where it is within the damper as dampers are velocity sensitive, not position sensitive.

Additionally, BMW prevents the damper pistons from bottoming out by using the bump stops. As an example see my pic below. I have the piston rod fully compressed (bottomed out) and the bump stop next to it. There's absolutely no way the piston can bottom out with the thickness and stiffness of the bump stop.

When you lower and are riding the bump stops that add additional spring rate that the damper isn't tuned for, it gives you an underdamped condition, and/or harsher ride from hitting the bump stops so often. The underdamped feeling will make it seem like the shocks are worn.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:41 AM   #10
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FWIW - try swapping out bumps stops as Farkle suggested. It's cheaper than a new set of springs and IF you end up getting different springs, you have to get shorter bump stops too.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #11
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
FWIW - try swapping out bumps stops as Farkle suggested. It's cheaper than a new set of springs and IF you end up getting different springs, you have to get shorter bump stops too.
Interesting comments here. I've been looking at the eibach pro kit springs. My stock dampers are very low mileage so I'd rather not pay to replace them right now. According to the eibach product info, the pro kit springs were designed to work with the oe bumps tops even though they lower the car by an additional. 75 inch below the m sport ride height. Yet Dinan springs do an equal drop and they recommend shorter bump stops installed. How can they both be right?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #12
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
According to the eibach product info, the pro kit springs were designed to work with the oe bumps tops even though they lower the car by an additional. 75 inch below the m sport ride height. Yet Dinan springs do an equal drop and they recommend shorter bump stops installed. How can they both be right?
They can both be right based upon the variable definition of "work with."

"Work with" doesn't necessarily mean "optimized." Just like, "Developed on the Nurburgring." can mean, "We just drove this configuration on the Nurburgring once and nothing broke." and not, "We went through repeated iterations to develop and optimize the product on the Nurburgring."

It's all marketing... This is why you need to do your homework on what the product actually does, how it was really designed (what were the success criteria?), and not put blind trust into companies that don't provide data or insight.

Eibach lowering springs certainly don't make your car "not work" anymore when paired with the OE bump stops, but it's also not optimal IMO.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #13
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
They can both be right based upon the variable definition of "work with."

"Work with" doesn't necessarily mean "optimized." Just like, "Developed on the Nurburgring." can mean, "We just drove this configuration on the Nurburgring once and nothing broke." and not, "We went through repeated iterations to develop and optimize the product on the Nurburgring."

It's all marketing... This is why you need to do your homework on what the product actually does, how it was really designed (what were the success criteria?), and not put blind trust into companies that don't provide data or insight.

Eibach lowering springs certainly don't make your car "not work" anymore when paired with the OE bump stops, but it's also not optimal IMO.
I was expecting you to say as much. Eibach couldn't legitimately claim their setup is superior without calling Dinan liars in the process, and vice versa. The more you read into the product listings for these shocks, springs, and coilovers, the less hard details you come away with. And some of these parts are compatible with so many different models of car that they couldn't possibly be optimized for any one model. It sucks to have to spend the time and money trying different setups to see what works best when the parts and labor are this costly.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #14
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
I was expecting you to say as much. Eibach couldn't legitimately claim their setup is superior without calling Dinan liars in the process, and vice versa. The more you read into the product listings for these shocks, springs, and coilovers, the less hard details you come away with. And some of these parts are compatible with so many different models of car that they couldn't possibly be optimized for any one model. It sucks to have to spend the time and money trying different setups to see what works best when the parts and labor are this costly.
Marketing: Making people believe what they want to believe without actually saying it, thus clearing oneself of culpability.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #15
xcviwp6
Enlisted Member
Rep

I was able to find OEM springs for my car off user on here. So I'm going install those.

Thank you everyone for your help and insight!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #16
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Give me the H & R Springs
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #17
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
I was able to find OEM springs for my car off user on here. So I'm going install those.

Where are you located? I'd be interested in the H&Rs.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
JeffreyB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30

From what I understand the f30 has no camber adjustment. The Dinan springs state no camber adjustment needed. I've used eibach on many cars before and this is my first BMW so I'd like to try them out but I'm guessing if I go with the eibach I'll need and after market camber kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #19
xcviwp6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
Quote:

Where are you located? I'd be interested in the H&Rs.
New Jersey. I'll post them after I get the springs installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #20
xcviwp6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
Give me the H & R Springs
Will post them after I get springs install.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #21
JeffreyB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30

What springs are you going with?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #22
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States