F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion
Extreme Powerhouse

05-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #397
sicmadek
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuickEnough View Post
So is this like what MHD is on the e9x platform? Wow very surprised that MHD still don't have the ball rolling here.
Mhd is bout to drop
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #398
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicmadek View Post
Mhd is bout to drop
Really? Any other info? This is good news for the F series...competition is here.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #399
sicmadek
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_kay View Post
Quote:
Mhd is bout to drop
Really? Any other info? This is good news for the F series...competition is here.
I cant talk about that in this thread
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #400
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Are EWG N55's able to run E30 or higher ethanol blends with BM3. Currently with my JB4 my trims get borderline high running E20 blends. Steve has said that even a Fuel-it pump wouldn't fix it as I would need a flash. I'm not wanting to go the meth or port injection route, but wouldn't mind doing the fuel pump upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #401
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
Are EWG N55's able to run E30 or higher ethanol blends with BM3. Currently with my JB4 my trims get borderline high running E20 blends. Steve has said that even a Fuel-it pump wouldn't fix it as I would need a flash. I'm not wanting to go the meth or port injection route, but wouldn't mind doing the fuel pump upgrade.
From what I hear EWG can only support up to E25ish max or something.
PWG can support up to E40

Kinda useless for me to have PWG as I have no E85 where I live lol

#iwishihadEWG
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #402
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I finally purchased a bootmod3 licence from another member. I have a few general and more technical questions that may benefit other bootmod3 users.and myself.

Firstly, I was under the impression 1. Ots map was included even if licesne is transferred. But it seems I'm required to buy a map? Can you clear this up for myself and other customers / potential customers?

Secondly, I run 93, almost always with a tested and we'll reviewed octane boosters...Boostane, Torco, or "Racegas" , although I do not believe in ethanol in cars not designed for it(especially in a car already maxing out itsome fuel pump) I also recognize the pros of ethanol and will use it occasionally to keep the fuel system and head clean and for its oxygen content. However never more than 20%, and only maybe once or twice a month tops

Bottom line, I maintain 95-100 aki, and on race day, dyno day, or dragstrip, I will use ms100, or 110 premixed with 93...But occasionally due to a lack of access or time of night, Im forced to use 93, which obviously on a now stock DME haso no negative affect whatsoever.

Does the stage 2 93 octane tune add a significant amount of ignition timing advance to allow double digit whp gains with addition of much higher octane race fuel? Or will it cap it's advance to say 5* over stock (just generalizing).'

On the flip side if I went with a 100 octane tune, and ran 93 in an emergency situation would the timing retard enough to avoid knock under load, or in other words does bootmod3 raise the knock sensors threshold or disable them?

Also in your experience, since your Ots tunes seem to produce the most power on the M2, does the N55 in paticular prefer higher boost with less advance or lower boost with more advance in the upper rpm range?

Lastly I'm assuming the OTS maps (aside from the alcohol maps) target a conservative albeit slightly leaner AFR than stock? Will it lean it out enough to avoid the fuel starvation and pump cutoff I was getting with JB4 at max boost/high rpms? OR Because of the curious decision to make the N55 a high compression /high boost engine which I assume sees dramatic dynamic compression and cylinder pressure does the cooling affect of running an abnormally rich mixture (for an aggressive tune) have the opposite effect on horsepower numbers and produce power but at the expense of fuel under prolonged load at high boost such as 5th-6th gear pulls?

Lastly, from experience running open header on an engine dyno or n/a motor always has a tremendous effect on engine charteris tics and tuning preferences bc the lack of back pressure and it's dramatic effect on the way the engine runs. I found this to be less pronounced on turbo cars and also much more rewarding bc the minimal decrease in back pressure and the positive effect on exhaust velocity (faster spooling, more exhaust scavenging and theoretically more negative pressure on the exhaust side of the head making for slighlty less parasitic draw on the exhaust stroke, and more vacuum in the cylinder upon exhaust valve closure) in some circumstances..I only ask bc I run a qtp 3" exhaust dump immediately after my 4" cat less dp. Should I mention this in my tune request or is there little to nothing that can be done in terms of tune to get the most benefit bc comparing my logs to even the best JB4 logs, with the valve open, running basically open header, i see my car hold just under 20psi for 500-1000 rpms higher than the average M2 with similar mods (lower gears boost will taper at around 5800-6200.) QTP Valve shut it begins tapering by around 5k

Sorry for all the technical and long winded questions, however I am picking my first Map and obviously I want to produce the most hp for my situation without sacrificing drive ability....

Thanks for your time

Last edited by DKX4///M; 05-12-2017 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      05-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #403
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have a solid answer on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #404
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Anyone have a solid answer on this?
I cannot see how a flash will be able to deliver more volume than the JB4. As far as I know it is a mechanical limitation of the HPFP.
      05-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #405
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

The guys over at PTF told me "E30 map in N55 will just eat up the hpfp pressure and cause it to misfire.. So that's a no go on stock fuel system."
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      05-16-2017, 11:48 PM   #406
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Is this something the Stage 2 LPFP can fix or is port injection needed to run more ethanol?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 01:28 AM   #407
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Given I have the Stage 2 LPFP when I asked that question, I'm betting port injection. Some folks run a small mixture on the JB4 with the flex fuel harness connected, but I could never really get it to be happy.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      05-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #408
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post
I finally purchased a bootmod3 licence from another member. I have a few general and more technical questions that may benefit other bootmod3 users.and myself.

Firstly, I was under the impression 1. Ots map was included even if licesne is transferred. But it seems I'm required to buy a map? Can you clear this up for myself and other customers / potential customers?

Secondly, I run 93, almost always with a tested and we'll reviewed octane boosters...Boostane, Torco, or "Racegas" , although I do not believe in ethanol in cars not designed for it(especially in a car already maxing out itsome fuel pump) I also recognize the pros of ethanol and will use it occasionally to keep the fuel system and head clean and for its oxygen content. However never more than 20%, and only maybe once or twice a month tops

Bottom line, I maintain 95-100 aki, and on race day, dyno day, or dragstrip, I will use ms100, or 110 premixed with 93...But occasionally due to a lack of access or time of night, Im forced to use 93, which obviously on a now stock DME haso no negative affect whatsoever.

Does the stage 2 93 octane tune add a significant amount of ignition timing advance to allow double digit whp gains with addition of much higher octane race fuel? Or will it cap it's advance to say 5* over stock (just generalizing).'

On the flip side if I went with a 100 octane tune, and ran 93 in an emergency situation would the timing retard enough to avoid knock under load, or in other words does bootmod3 raise the knock sensors threshold or disable them?

Also in your experience, since your Ots tunes seem to produce the most power on the M2, does the N55 in paticular prefer higher boost with less advance or lower boost with more advance in the upper rpm range?

Lastly I'm assuming the OTS maps (aside from the alcohol maps) target a conservative albeit slightly leaner AFR than stock? Will it lean it out enough to avoid the fuel starvation and pump cutoff I was getting with JB4 at max boost/high rpms? OR Because of the curious decision to make the N55 a high compression /high boost engine which I assume sees dramatic dynamic compression and cylinder pressure does the cooling affect of running an abnormally rich mixture (for an aggressive tune) have the opposite effect on horsepower numbers and produce power but at the expense of fuel under prolonged load at high boost such as 5th-6th gear pulls?

Lastly, from experience running open header on an engine dyno or n/a motor always has a tremendous effect on engine charteris tics and tuning preferences bc the lack of back pressure and it's dramatic effect on the way the engine runs. I found this to be less pronounced on turbo cars and also much more rewarding bc the minimal decrease in back pressure and the positive effect on exhaust velocity (faster spooling, more exhaust scavenging and theoretically more negative pressure on the exhaust side of the head making for slighlty less parasitic draw on the exhaust stroke, and more vacuum in the cylinder upon exhaust valve closure) in some circumstances..I only ask bc I run a qtp 3" exhaust dump immediately after my 4" cat less dp. Should I mention this in my tune request or is there little to nothing that can be done in terms of tune to get the most benefit bc comparing my logs to even the best JB4 logs, with the valve open, running basically open header, i see my car hold just under 20psi for 500-1000 rpms higher than the average M2 with similar mods (lower gears boost will taper at around 5800-6200.) QTP Valve shut it begins tapering by around 5k

Sorry for all the technical and long winded questions, however I am picking my first Map and obviously I want to produce the most hp for my situation without sacrificing drive ability....

Thanks for your time
proTUNING Freaks

Quote:
Every car is different, since a flash is more consistent it also stresses the HPFP more thus already having a weak HPFP in the N55 to start with, leaving little to no head room for E85 blends higher than E20.
I've seen some EWG cars run E10 only and misfires with E15, then others handle E25-E30 (different flash tune). I've also seen most Jb4 users run a lot of E85 but not realize how lean they're running after 4500rpm at WOT.
I would say start low and monitor closely your HPFP at WOT and don't forget to test your E85 content because if less than E82% you're adding more of the bad and less of the good.
You would need Meth or PI as supplemental fueling if you want most power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke View Post
The guys over at PTF told me "E30 map in N55 will just eat up the hpfp pressure and cause it to misfire.. So that's a no go on stock fuel system."
Correct
Quote:
Is this something the Stage 2 LPFP can fix or is port injection needed to run more ethanol?
PI is the only way right now to run as much E85 you want. If E85 is readily accessible that's a good option, if not like most folks in Canada they go with Meth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke View Post
Given I have the Stage 2 LPFP when I asked that question, I'm betting port injection. Some folks run a small mixture on the JB4 with the flex fuel harness connected, but I could never really get it to be happy.
This is true, also the content of each E85 stations varies so will the performance when one thinks they're adding E30 for ex.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
afranke207.00
      05-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #409
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

At what torque output does the 8HP automatic transmission start to apply a torque limit?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #410
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Just flashed "STG291OCT" OTS map. I have more burbles than I did when running JB4 on map 5. I currently still have JB4 but it's on map 0. I'm PWG.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      05-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #411
FThirtyFive
Private First Class
Rep

I got an OTS Stage 2 the other day and added meth. Pulls like a raped ape with meth I guess it helps so much with temps.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #412
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I cant talk about that in this thread
Can you PM me more info? And if we need to unlock ECU before using the app?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #413
FThirtyFive
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post

Thanks for your time
How is your tuning going? I personally don't really believe in octane boosters. I used Torco and I haven't really seen much benefit.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #414
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Just as an FYI, a new update has been pushed on the web version. If anyone encounters anything out of the ordinary please clear your browser's cache and retry.

Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      05-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #415
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Mhd is bout to drop
Also curious on more info
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #416
lens
Colonel
Rep

They have gunshot burble (aggressive) for PWG out, however it's in beta.

And christ, in person, it's fucking LOUD.

05-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #417
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Mine is at least that loud. They sent my map on Monday so I don't know if the burbles were in my tune/map or not but I can hear them. I'm PWG Stage 2 91 oct.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      05-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #418
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahero4eternity View Post
Mine is at least that loud. They sent my map on Monday so I don't know if the burbles were in my tune/map or not but I can hear them. I'm PWG Stage 2 91 oct.
I had them do two OTS stage 2 maps.

One for 91 and one for 93, both with aggressive gunshots, which only work in sport+
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50