F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport vs sport plus mode
ARMA SPEED

08-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Lafinkel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i M Sport

Sport vs sport plus mode

What is the difference between sport and sport plus mode? Other than disabling DSC, are there any other differences? Is steering more tight or does gear change at higher rpm in sport+ vs sport?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

No differences besides the DSC
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
bthuss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i - Alpine White

sport plus automatically set to the DSC, drivetrain and suspension settings in their sport positions. you can then set sport to be only drivetrain (for instance) with the softer suspension...or just the suspension and not the drivetrain if desired.
      08-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason335iMsport View Post
No differences besides the DSC
this
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Take the car out for a test drive. Get to a curve and go 10/10s as you take the curve. Do it in sport and sport +. You can feel how you tail swings out more in sport + than in sport. Let us know how it goes

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafinkel View Post
What is the difference between sport and sport plus mode? Other than disabling DSC, are there any other differences? Is steering more tight or does gear change at higher rpm in sport+ vs sport?
The one other difference is if you have an AT.
In sport+, if you set the AT to manual mode, then the computer will NOT intervene and up shift if you hit red line. If you don't shift at or before red line, then the engine will hit the rev limiter and the ECU won't intervene to up shift.
Still, our engines are equipped with a true rev limiter, so if you go beyond red line, then a few hundred rpm later you will hit the rev limiter.
When you hit the rev limiter the ECU will cut power to protect the engine from going beyond it'c mechanical limits, but still it won't up shift, it will just cut power.
Yes, I have tested it. It's all good.

Sport+ is sport mode with the added DSC variations and no ECU intervention when in AT "manual" mode.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

So does it mean that if your car lacks the sports+ mode, you could try to simulate it by manually turning off DSC ( holding the traction control button down for 5 seconds) ? I understand you still won't get the rev limiter thing but as far as traction goes will it be the same ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
So does it mean that if your car lacks the sports+ mode, you could try to simulate it by manually turning off DSC ( holding the traction control button down for 5 seconds) ? I understand you still won't get the rev limiter thing but as far as traction goes will it be the same ?
No. DSC off turns everything to Comfort settings.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Not sure if it is the same in the 3-series but in my 5-series (with SAT), if I toggle to Sport+ (from Sport mode) when I have the drivetrain 'unchecked' in the settings menu, the gearbox changes to the sport program, drops a gear or two according to road speed. If I try and paddle it back to 8th will drop gear(s) again after a few seconds. Toggle back to Sport mode and the gearbox changes back up to 8th gear.

So in my car the use of Sport+ adds a gearbox dimension, if not already configured in iDrive for the Sport mode.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
No. DSC off turns everything to Comfort settings.
Maybe UK cars are different, but in the US turning DSC off by holding down the button for five seconds sets the chassis settings (but not throttle response!) to sport. In my car without DHP that only means reduced steering boost, but I assume that in DHP equipped cars it also stiffens the shocks. (If you configure your display to show mode changes, you'll see it specifically mentions sport chassis settings.)

In addition to the chassis bits:

DSC ON (default mode) : all nannies enabled

DTC (Dynamic Traction Control, from SPORT+ or single press of button) : ASC (automatic stability control) and FDR (driving dynamics control) function with modified thresholds.

DSC OFF (hold down button for five seconds) : ASC and FDR disabled, ADB (automatic brake differential) enabled
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

I thought the sport + mode only disabled the traction control allowing less invention during spirited driving.

I almost always drive in sport mode but today I most have pressed the button a second time and found the car in sports +. What surprised me was the steering seemed to tighten a bit and the shifts points on the 8AT were higher as if I had toggled over the shift lever.

Car has DHP, sport auto, and the MPPK.

Could this have happened after the MPPK install and I had never tried it before. Not so sure its best idea in snow or rain BUT it sure was FUN>

any else find this or wants to try and advise....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
I thought the sport + mode only disabled the traction control allowing less invention during spirited driving.

I almost always drive in sport mode but today I most have pressed the button a second time and found the car in sports +. What surprised me was the steering seemed to tighten a bit and the shifts points on the 8AT were higher as if I had toggled over the shift lever.

Car has DHP, sport auto, and the MPPK.

Could this have happened after the MPPK install and I had never tried it before. Not so sure its best idea in snow or rain BUT it sure was FUN>

any else find this or wants to try and advise....
I also have DHP and PPK. My sport is set to suspension on and powertrain off. Sport + comes fixed. I have this set up so I can have a hefty steering and tighter suspension when I am in sport. Comfort mode with PPK is fast enough so at times I don't need the extra raves in sport+ mode and so I use my sport mode instead. Sport+ mode is when I want the extra sound effects and speed.

In short, if you checked everything is sport mode your steering and suspension should feel the same as in sport+ mode. I would like to think the shift points are the same in both modes too

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I think throttle input in Sport is less aggressive than in Sport+. When in Sport+, regardless of what gear you are in, the throttle input is very sensitive. Like 25% press down yields 75% throttle. Compared to Sport where the throttle input is very linear.

I think most track rats would turn their best lap times using Sport with DSC and all nannies completely off. You have much more control over fine throttle adjustments in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
emtrey
Captain
Rep

I just tried it again. My DHP setup is chassis only, too.

When I drive the car in sport + mode the AT holds higher shift points as if I had toggled the AT lever over to sport.

If I hit the sport button down from sport+ to sport, the revs drop and steering gets looser. Not complaining, its fun. Just don't get WHY this is happening.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just tried it again. My DHP setup is chassis only, too.

When I drive the car in sport + mode the AT holds higher shift points as if I had toggled the AT lever over to sport.

If I hit the sport button down from sport+ to sport, the revs drop and steering gets looser. Not complaining, its fun. Just don't get WHY this is happening.
Let me try it when I get home and will let you know. Others can chime in as well.

Question. Can you check if your car hunkers down when you put it in drive as follows:

While in Park put it in comfort first, then put it in drive (use the rear view mirror to check this)
While in Park put it in sport+, then put it in drive (use the rear view mirror to check this)

All F30s may just hunker down when you put it in drive, but just wanted to confirm with other people with DHP

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
emtrey
Captain
Rep

It does hunker down in both modes. Maybe a touch more in sport plus but not dramatically.

BTW..I let my salesman drive my car. He could not believe the difference. I think the local police give these guys some slack because he was flying ( and smiling ).

Yes, you kind of get used to the kit BUT its very usable extra power. This newly found sport+ thing could be a detriment to my gas mileage but I will have to use it when appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It does hunker down in both modes. Maybe a touch more in sport plus but not dramatically.

BTW..I let my salesman drive my car. He could not believe the difference. I think the local police give these guys some slack because he was flying ( and smiling ).

Yes, you kind of get used to the kit BUT its very usable extra power. This newly found sport+ thing could be a detriment to my gas mileage but I will have to use it when appropriate.
Thanks for confirming this, glad its not just in my mind.

I get 23mpg but I drive enthusiastically and mostly city driving. I also have xdrive so gas mileage is not an issue

Download an app called WAZE. Its good at identifying where the cops are. I just got it this week and 150mph here I come

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
emtrey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Thanks for confirming this, glad its not just in my mind.

I get 23mpg but I drive enthusiastically and mostly city driving. I also have xdrive so gas mileage is not an issue

Download an app called WAZE. Its good at identifying where the cops are. I just got it this week and 150mph here I come
Most of my driving is highway so I am running very close to 30 mpg. However, I have been off on disability for 7 weeks and once I was allowed to drive, my gas mileage running around town dropped to around 25-26.

Now, let's see what happen using sports+

I have had 7 BMWs and 2 Minis. I love this car but I still long for hydraulic steering. I had a chance to do a Porsche driving event. The last car we drove on the track was a new (991) Carrera S , virtually identical to my 06.
Car was awesome on the track and the PDK is a great track tool, but, the steering (electric) was not like my old 997s. I wouldn't trade my car for the new one , even up.

Electric steering may be great for gas mileage but it still does not have the road feel of a car with hydraulic power steering or no power steering.

Maybe they will come up with a software update to give us more feel. It would make me very happy. ( of all my BMWs , the car with the best steering was our 1998 528 sport. --even better than my E46 M-3 cab, M roadster or 135i )

Last edited by emtrey; 08-13-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Most of my driving is highway so I am running very close to 30 mpg. However, I have been off on disability for 7 weeks and once I was allowed to drive, my gas mileage running around town dropped to around 25-26.

No, let's see what happen using sports+
Enjoy

Let me go and test out the sport/sport+ settings on mine and will report back later

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
There's already a good thread on this with lots of info from folks who've tested the different settings...
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825869
      08-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafinkel View Post
DSC is NOT disabled in sport+, rather DTC is turned ON, allowing more dynamic traction, eg. more wheels spin, but still has stability control ON.

only way to turn off DSC completely is to hold it down for 5 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

I am waiting for 300hp's results. I was totally under the impression that Sport+ is just Sport with DSC off and DTC on.
Appreciate 0