F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Extreme Powerhouse

09-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #221
lehtee
Private
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
First of all, thanks for the review!

What is your original HeadUnit called?
NBT does not ship with 6.5" screen, do you have HU_ENTRY?
So no AUX cable, does that mean you connected the optical cable from the original quadlock connector?

Can you upload a screenshot of your version screen?

Thanks!
I don't remember the HU_ name, can check later. not sure if its exactly 6.5” but its small. It's 2016 model so it's definitely NBT.

Yes connected optical cable (2-pin) from original quadlock to android qudlock, as the instructions said.

Last edited by lehtee; 09-05-2019 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #222
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
What is your original HeadUnit called?
same android headunit from exclusivecarauto (thus, great support imho, I will buy from them again for sure!).

I had NBT_EVO (Base variant: HU_NBT2) and no aux cable needed. Just unplug 2 optical cable from original quadlock and stick in original headunit once the Y quadlock adaptor is set. No need to hook the aux cable to the armrest
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:10 AM   #223
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtee View Post
I don't remember the HU_ name, can check later. not sure if its exactly 6.5” but its small. It's 2016 model so it's definitely NBT.
'NBT' is always Navi Professional i.e. 8.8" (or 10.25" in some models), for example with the split screen functionality.
Small screen in that model year is either 'Entry' (Radio Prof) or 'EntryNav' (Navi Business).

Quote:
Yes connected optical cable (2-pin) from original quadlock to android qudlock, as the instructions said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floc View Post
I had NBT_EVO (Base variant: HU_NBT2) and no aux cable needed. Just unplug 2 optical cable from original quadlock and stick in original headunit once the Y quadlock adaptor is set. No need to hook the aux cable to the armrest
Very good to hear!
With good audio quality I am thinking of buying. But at the current rate of updates I think I will still wait a couple of months until all bugs are fixed (and maybe some other improvements are available).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:49 AM   #224
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Similar to lehtee I thought I too would put my thoughts down, information as they say is power!

My 2017 car had nearly everything I wanted but only business nav so the small 6.5" screen plus no chance of having CarPlay which I find very useful, it being available in my wife's Citroen C1! Having previously had an Avin 4.4.4 unit in my last car, which I was more than happy with, I decided to order from them again, one of their 9.0 models with separate CarPlay adapter.

Installation was straightforward (had to move optic cable, did NOT have to run cable to aux plug) having previously installed one, but this time I added a nav splitter from Amazon even though the idea was to use CarPlay only not any of the native apps. One top of this I also had the screen coding done (thanks, Michael) so when in OEM side the screen was properly filled plus I could have split screen, happy days. When I got home from coding the OEM nav placed me about 8 miles from my home location, tried everything to resolve it to no avail so put everything back to stock and had the coding put back as I booked the car in for investigation. Low and behold it sorted its self out so cancelled visit to garage and reinstalled unit but without splitter, everything worked well. Redid the screen coding and everything is still fine but no gps plugged into unit, no issue as I'm just using CarPlay.

Incidentally, I got the Avin wireless dongle which I'm plugging into so my phone keeps charged, I have tried it wirelessly and it works perfectly, sound quality is just the same as OEM. Screen is readable even when the English sun decides to shine, there was a set of screen protectors included which I didn't order, haven't got round to installing one. Idrive control works well, can do everything in CarPlay without issue, haven't tried steering wheel controls but have rarely used them anyway.

Delivery from Hong Kong took about 5 days to uk, had to pay DHL £20 odd for customs but overall very happy with it. Reading this thread regularly I can't understand why updates are constantly being looked for, unless people are having problems, if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto!

Avin have now got a support website up and running so I guess as and when there are any updates they will be there so I just check now and again.

So overall very impressed with it, the newer all black screen looks more OEM and the display is spot on, I would have no hesitation in recommending it, I guess all these units are broadly the same so it's the old "you pay your money, you take your pick" situation.

Mick
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2019, 05:31 AM   #225
lehtee
Private
Rep

Quote:
'NBT' is always Navi Professional i.e. 8.8" (or 10.25" in some models), for example with the split screen functionality.
Small screen in that model year is either 'Entry' (Radio Prof) or 'EntryNav' (Navi Business).
Not sure where you got that info from,but I checked with bimmercode and my HU is HU_NBT. And it was 6,5”. Here you can see someone with the same screen: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1367465, no nav.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #226
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Not sure where you got that info from,but I checked with bimmercode and my HU is HU_NBT. And it was 6,5”. Here you can see someone with the same screen: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1367465, no nav.
TIL, thanks!
That's very weird, I guess it's different for non-german markets.
Appreciate 1
lehtee144.00
      09-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #227
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
[...] I think I will still wait a couple of months until all bugs are fixed (and maybe some other improvements are available).
I don't have any "real" bug, there are only 2 issues:
- original knob only works in original interface (home app imitating id6/id7 bmw interface) and not in other launcher or apps like nova launcher/spotify and so on
- navigator instructions (navigation audio channel) have a background noises if I dont start original media app before start the navigation apps.
Fixed with tasker opening/killing original app at startup

About the sim card, 3g works decently despite the bands are not optimal for europe. It's not blazing fast but is sufficient for google assitant spotify and navigation.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #228
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIrata View Post
Did someone tried installing / using Magisk on the Snapdragon HU?
what benefit would magisk have ?

probably the main issue is that you have no usb keyboard support at bootloader /normal recovery Menu.

the only thing where usb keyboard was working was at a critical issue with message "can`t load Android system",
where i was able to select "try again" or "factory data reset".

Chri
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #229
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

I wonder if touch function of newer idrive buttons could be used with this Android units.
I would very much like to use this like a touchpad, thus avoiding to touch the screen.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #230
lehtee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
I wonder if touch function of newer idrive buttons could be used with this Android units.
I would very much like to use this like a touchpad, thus avoiding to touch the screen.
This. I know you can connect a mouse to an android device via USB/bluetooth and it will show a cursor just like on PC.

I think one solution is you could get some touchpad from aliexpress, mount it in convenient place and connect it to android with USB/BT.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #231
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
as written, idrive only works in original (redish) home app, not in android. So, no touchpad functions.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #232
zimasha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 530i

Quote:
This. I know you can connect a mouse to an android device via USB/bluetooth and it will show a cursor just like on PC.

I think one solution is you could get some touchpad from aliexpress, mount it in convenient place and connect it to android with USB/BT.
https://youtu.be/PPa5-Q9vdSc

Check this out. I made this video with my old 4 4.4 unit, but it still works with my new px6 androud 9 unit.
I have bought it from aliexpress a year ago, i can not find it in stock now, but it was also available on ebay. Just search idrive touch mouse cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #233
zimasha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 530i

Installation guide
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #234
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 420d G.C Msport

Hi guys, I currently have an Android 8.1 on my F36 purchased from naviodm, I would be willing to switch to the Snapdragon 4-64 Android 9.0 unit but I have 2 curiosities:With Android 8.1 I am succeeding in having OEM audio and Android audio at the same time, in the sense that while listening to the OEM radio, I can also listen to the voice of Google maps (but the audio only comes from the left speaker), is it normal or is it a bug?(in case it is normal I am happy, because in this way I do not have to switch over with the AUX source every time).
I wonder if switching to Android 9.0 I will lose this feature or not
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #235
lehtee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimasha View Post

Check this out. I made this video with my old 4 4.4 unit, but it still works with my new px6 androud 9 unit.
I have bought it from aliexpress a year ago, i can not find it in stock now, but it was also available on ebay. Just search idrive touch mouse cover.
Nice,looks great! Too bad I can’t seem to find that on sale anywhere (aliexpress/ebay)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #236
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
TIL, thanks!
That's very weird, I guess it's different for non-german markets.
normal for 2015+ models.

the radio prof for those models are castrated nbts with a lower end dsp 4x35w vs 4x50.

- removed gps header
- removed optical harness (optical header still available)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #237
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

This is what I meant . I think I've seen your achievement on another forum.
It was a site who sold this mouse cover , but I could not finalize transaction for some reason . I could not find anywhere else this cover.
I my original interface , touch idrive button is pretty useless.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #238
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I explored this possibility but the touchpads on aliexpress are big and ugly. Mo space to integrate them in center console .
zimash's solution is what I want . I've even seen someone using only that touch cover in the central console
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #239
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:

Hey zimasha, how where you able to connect to BT mouse ?
Afaik all HU`S from Android 7.1 on have locked BT Module which does only work with the built in BT Telephone app anymore, and is not visible to Android itself.
Or is BT on your Unit unlocked on Android side ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantio View Post
Hi guys, I currently have an Android 8.1 on my F36 purchased from naviodm, I would be willing to switch to the Snapdragon 4-64 Android 9.0 unit but I have 2 curiosities:With Android 8.1 I am succeeding in having OEM audio and Android audio at the same time, in the sense that while listening to the OEM radio, I can also listen to the voice of Google maps (but the audio only comes from the left speaker), is it normal or is it a bug?(in case it is normal I am happy, because in this way I do not have to switch over with the AUX source every time).
I wonder if switching to Android 9.0 I will lose this feature or not

This behaviour is a feature not a bug
Alot of manufacturers do promote that gps voice commands do come from the left front speaker.

Chri
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #240
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper, 2020 X1

Garage List
look at post 233l, you will see a tiny USB BT dongle ...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #241
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

It would be interesting to find what kind of input sends original idrive touch function to the original unit and see if it can be converted in an usb input to use with Android unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #242
rsm_CR
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
It would be interesting to find what kind of input sends original idrive touch function to the original unit and see if it can be converted in an usb input to use with Android unit.
I guess the Chinese already figured that out if it already works in their launcher, right? I'm no developer but I think that'd be an interesting starting point in trying to reverse engineer this thing.
Appreciate 0