F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Found solution for B58 engine whining??
ARMA SPEED

02-25-2020, 01:40 AM   #1
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Found solution for B58 engine whining??

I have had this noise since I purchased it ten months ago. To this day I could not find a solution but the noise disappeared completely.

Here is the funny part. I always thought it was related to drive belt-pulleys etc.

I purchased the royal purple fuel system cleaner because I wanted to try it. I had used techron a couple of times, not that it would fix the noise but to keep my fuel system healthy as a newbie.

I am not sure that royal purple fixed it but this is the only thing that I put into the engine other than the engine oil. It does not even make sense that a product like this would be the solution for a noise issue.

These snake oils usually make negligible differences but this is what I think might have happened and maybe one of you guys can try this and see for yourselves. $15 is pretty cheap if it actually fixes this annoying issue.

If you guys think that I am imagining things than I do no know what to tell you.

Cheers and be safe on the road!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckafreebmw View Post
I have this same issue and its intermittent. Do you think Seafoam would help? I have only heard good things about Seafoam... I was contenplating on adding it to the crankcase... Thoughts?
I added the whole container in the fuel tank and drove fairly more aggressive until the fuel was used up. The noise was also accompanied with some rattling noise and I was able to get the drive belt tensioner replaced for that after the fourth time after they tried to scam me with a BS wheel alignment.

The whining was present every single time once the engine got up to optimal temperatures. Dealers did not even move a finger (I took to 4 different ones in the area).

I honestly do not know if Seafoam will work but maybe you can come to a conclusion if you compare the products or maybe someone else may weigh in here.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

Is the whine at all engine speeds or just at high speed on light throttle?
Appreciate 0