F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Amsoil Next Oil Change?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #45
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
I can possibly see OP's stance...with only one oil change a year, the inflated cost of using "premium" products doesn't strain the wallet as much as those of us changing 3-4 times a year and gives him peace of mind.

When I had a long commute, I was changing my oil about every 3 months on a 5k-mile OCI. At that rate, not only does it make more sense to me financially to go with something like the Castrol Euro 0W-40 from Walmart, but it probably doesn't make a significant difference in wear/longevity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Scamoil is LL-01 and 5w. I am thinking about trying the 5w because of this free delivery special they have now.
An open secret on BITOG is that it is not necessarily the type of oil you use (so long as it meets BMW spec), but rather than you're just consistent with intervals and using quality filters.

The difference in wear on a car that lives on dealership sauce, wonderlube sauce, and boutique can't-find-it-anywhere sauce is entirely negligible provided they have identical lives and intervals.

I personally plan to stick with the BMW Shell OE sauce from FCPEuro when my maintenance plan expires.
Appreciate 1
sspade2460.00
      04-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #46
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Is that judgement based on independent lab tests? Amsoil says it's 99% efficient at 20 microns, I've seen the Mann listed as 99.5 - 99.9% efficiency at 9 microns.
Got a link to the Mann info?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #47
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Is AMSOIL EURO better than Castrol 0w-40 Belgium?
Get the test data for Castrol and compare to the published info for the comparable Amsoil product. Then choose. Without that it's someone's uneducated guess.
There are 4 Amsoil European formulations, each different for the appropriate spec called out by BMW. Refer to the Amsoil on-line application guide for the correct product. They don't make oils for all applications.
Just pulling an oil off the shelf is not the right way to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #48
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
Why bother with scamsoil when 5qts of Castrol is $24?
Some people buy cheap, change the oil and the car often.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #49
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKden View Post
Quote:
I've been "buying cheap" for most of the time I've owned the car (bought used with 51k miles). 130k+ miles on the clock now. No issues so far, including good Blackstone results.
      04-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #50
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Quote:
Is AMSOIL EURO better than Castrol 0w-40 Belgium?
Get the test data for Castrol and compare to the published info for the comparable Amsoil product. Then choose. Without that it's someone's uneducated guess.
There are 4 Amsoil European formulations, each different for the appropriate spec called out by BMW. Refer to the Amsoil on-line application guide for the correct product. They don't make oils for all applications.
Just pulling an oil off the shelf is not the right way to go.
Yeps, the one i use says "Engineered for BMW LL-01"
      04-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #51
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've been "buying cheap" for most of the time I've owned the car (bought used with 51k miles). 130k+ miles on the clock now. No issues so far, including good Blackstone results.
Yours is a 335i, we 28i and 20i's have much more to worry because of the (LSPI) probs..
      04-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #52
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And here some is data so everybody can see the cost analysis: And i wanna add this is based on two scenario's that are common, one which is mine below.

Scenario #1): OIC's approx 2x's a year.
Oil used: Amsoil Euro Spec 0W-40:
Cost per ea, including preferred customer pricing:
$8.85 x 5qts = $44
Oil filter media: Amsoil EK-15-54 - $19
Total cost per OIC: $63 x 2 (OIC) per yr = $126

Scenario #2): OIC's approx 4x's a year.
Oil used: Castrol Edge 0W-40:
Cost per 5qt bulk carton: $24
Oil filter media: Mann - $11
Total cost per OIC: $36 x 4 (OIC) per yr = $144

Edit: in case some of u do a revised 3x's a year total comes to: $108 ish, so u win, lol..
      04-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #53
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
And here some is data so everybody can see the cost analysis: And i wanna add this is based on two scenario's that are common, one which is mine below.

$8.85 x 5qts = $44

Edit: in case some of u do a revised 3x's a year total comes to: $108 ish, so u win, lol..
Just a few points:

I regularly find Mann filters for around $7-8. Knocks about $12-14 off your annual price calculation.

Idk about the 4-cyls, but my oil capacity is 7 quarts, not 5. Too lazy to do the math on how that would work out.

Finally, just for me, unless my driving distances change dramatically (which admittedly, in the last month they certainly have), I change my oil based on OCI miles, not number of months. So yes, your analysis shows that you may spend less per year, but you're sort of comparing apples to oranges, that or merely stating the obvious that changing your oil less frequently will cost you less money.

Regardless, I'm not trying to change your mind or anyone else's. Just speaking from my experience. Also, haven't heard of LSPI issues as much as timing chain stuff for your engines, but I still stand by my notion that frequent changes with good oil is just as good, if not better, than less frequent changes with expensive oil. But again, to each their own!

That said, I hope we both get maximum life out of our cars! I'm shooting for 3 more years, which will put me close to the 200k range. Assuming this isn't ACTUALLY the apocalypse.
      04-03-2020, 07:26 PM   #54
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

$8.85 x 5qts = $44

Just a few points:

I regularly find Mann filters for around $7-8. Knocks about $12-14 off your annual price calculation.

Idk about the 4-cyls, but my oil capacity is 7 quarts, not 5. Too lazy to do the math on how that would work out.

Finally, just for me, unless my driving distances change dramatically (which admittedly, in the last month they certainly have), I change my oil based on OCI miles, not number of months. So yes, your analysis shows that you may spend less per year, but you're sort of comparing apples to oranges, that or merely stating the obvious that changing your oil less frequently will cost you less money.

Regardless, I'm not trying to change your mind or anyone else's. Just speaking from my experience. Also, haven't heard of LSPI issues as much as timing chain stuff for your engines, but I still stand by my notion that frequent changes with good oil is just as good, if not better, than less frequent changes with expensive oil. But again, to each their own!

That said, I hope we both get maximum life out of our cars! I'm shooting for 3 more years, which will put me close to the 200k range. Assuming this isn't ACTUALLY the apocalypse.
Well just threw out numbers with $$$ figures so we can get an idea of estimated costs per annually. The N20/26's take about less than 5 or 4.6Qts i believe. I also do my OCI's based on mileage, which for me cos i don't use her as a daily comes to about less than 3k miles per 6 mths, so really i could go once per year and i do take her out for some extended " Italian Tune-Ups lol. I was basing the cost of that Mann filters off Amazon and the oil as well for comparison purposes. The Low-Speed-Pre-Ignition's (LSPI) happen on our N20/26's, especially the 320's like i have and the BM3 tune dosen't help either on low RPM's. I do baby her and nvr take off hard or go into Sport mode till i see that temp gauge move a 1/4 way...And yes i agree with you, gotta do whatever it takes to get the most money out of these cars for a long haul (i hate car payments)...
      04-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #55
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yours is a 335i, we 28i and 20i's have much more to worry because of the (LSPI) probs..
There is no LSPI problem with any BMW engine !!!!!

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #56
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey each to there own, unless you can provide data like Amsoil does and Project Farm, i will stick with them..
      04-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #57
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey each to there own, unless you can provide data like Amsoil does and Project Farm, i will stick with them..
What do you mean data like Amsoil provides?

How bout this. Find a post on any BMW forum which says their I4 cracked a piston because of LSPI.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #58
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How bout this. Find a post on any BMW forum which says their I4 cracked a piston because of LSPI.
I just mentioned the sources, especially Project Farm please check them out and rant your hate on his comment section. And while your on this subject, show me proof that Amsoil dosen't work....
      04-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #59
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just mentioned the sources, especially Project Farm please check them out and rant your hate on his comment section. And while your on this subject, show me proof that Amsoil dosen't work....
You can do what you want but just remember that when it comes to automotive products/fluids the mantra "A solution in search of a problem." holds true more often than not.

Best of luck.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #60
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't think anyone's saying it doesn't work, just that many are skeptical that the increased cost is worth it. LSPI can affect direct injected engines, but it seems exceedingly rare in BMW engines. No one is saying Amsoil products are garbage, just that it seems most would do just as well using any of the cheaper LL-01 alternatives and an OE Mann filter.

Again, to each their own. If putting expensive oil in your car makes you sleep better at night, by all means.
F32Fleet3539.50
      04-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #61
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think anyone's saying it doesn't work, just that many are skeptical that the increased cost is worth it. LSPI can affect direct injected engines, but it seems exceedingly rare in BMW engines. No one is saying Amsoil products are garbage, just that it seems most would do just as well using any of the cheaper LL-01 alternatives and an OE Mann filter.

Again, to each their own. If putting expensive oil in your car makes you sleep better at night, by all means.
Well Fleet mentioned that no BMW has any LSPI from cracked piston's, there is one use on here that had a cracked piston, and probably many more as like in the TC problems. Pretty sure they are all related to the viscosity of the Oil used in over time, but hey i am not an engineer so well just leave that to the debate for those guy's that are. His comments came off as condesending, thas the reason why i am being sarcastic myself (sorry from Jersey). I can tell from just my butt dyno, i have just changed the oil to my other two cars (13' Corolla & 18' Rav4) w/ Amsoil filter and oil and can feel the difference so that is good enough for me and way better than any Dealership or Indie shop is going to do...
      10-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #62
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Well maybe it has, but since having a tune, i feel better my chances of using this oil for my personal relief, the dealer that sells them does alot of oil changes for Euro spec vehicles and thas the reason he is a dealer for Amsoil. I guess the phrase "each to their own" holds here, not bashing any other brands is what i am saying...At this age and stage in my life, i am not looking to keep selling an having another $30+k note to the banks, i've got a nice house and more focused on it..Hope the Corona dosen't take me though, lol..
Indeed, but then you should not own a BMW. My bmw, f30 as yours, just had a TC swapped. After trial and error with reman (1 day), we had to order the new one. The new one shot up in price to 4000$ USD. To be sure, we HAD to the the driveshaft, the front had been trimmed by a piece of insulation, so it was permanently out of balance. we also had to buy a rear OEM to be sure as lab testing would have taken months. As a BMW foreman told me "there never was a problem with the f30 transfer cases, THEY WERE CURSED." All and all this was 10,000$ in one shot, over 2 months car at the garage 70,000 miles in 4 driving years.

This due to A- inherently weak TC design for newer cars and B, there being no official flush fluid/oil interval. And C, inclement weather, the TC works 4-5x as much per gear per second as it switched torque distribution front to rear.

So engine oil not that important (assuming one stick to german Fuchs and maybe AMSOIL at 10,000 kms), as the things we do not know. And let us not talk 'lifetime' transmission fluid.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #63
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Quote:
Well maybe it has, but since having a tune, i feel better my chances of using this oil for my personal relief, the dealer that sells them does alot of oil changes for Euro spec vehicles and thas the reason he is a dealer for Amsoil. I guess the phrase "each to their own" holds here, not bashing any other brands is what i am saying...At this age and stage in my life, i am not looking to keep selling an having another $30+k note to the banks, i've got a nice house and more focused on it..Hope the Corona dosen't take me though, lol..
Indeed, but then you should not own a BMW. My bmw, f30 as yours, just had a TC swapped. After trial and error with reman (1 day), we had to order the new one. The new one shot up in price to 4000$ USD. To be sure, we HAD to the the driveshaft, the front had been trimmed by a piece of insulation, so it was permanently out of balance. we also had to buy a rear OEM to be sure as lab testing would have taken months. As a BMW foreman told me "there never was a problem with the f30 transfer cases, THEY WERE CURSED." All and all this was 10,000$ in one shot, over 2 months car at the garage 70,000 miles in 4 driving years.

This due to A- inherently weak TC design for newer cars and B, there being no official flush fluid/oil interval. And C, inclement weather, the TC works 4-5x as much per gear per second as it switched torque distribution front to rear.

So engine oil not that important (assuming one stick to german Fuchs and maybe AMSOIL at 10,000 kms), as the things we do not know. And let us not talk 'lifetime' transmission fluid.
Amsoil has very few actual approvals and mostly recommends oils. That is not same!
If I had N20/26 engine I would go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. It is LL01 approved (which means N20/26 timing chain test), low on Zinc (good for guides) and it is 5W40 and TC guides like heavier oils.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50