F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d Pulsing Idle
GetBMWParts

03-16-2019, 11:07 PM   #1
nrugg25
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 328d M Sport RWD

328d Pulsing Idle

Hey all; car has 25,000 and has been driven/serviced regularly. Recently it's developed a R-r-R-r-R-r-R rhythm at idle, sometimes the tach moves up and down but most of the time steady. Thought it happened only when cold, but just drove to Whistler from Seattle this Thurs and when idling at a light it happened again. Haven't done the EGR recall yet obviously as no parts are available. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

I've had cold start miss-fire/stumbling ish issues since new. Car was delivered July 2017, that same winter I was encountering the issue. The stumbling is more pronounced with colder temps. It only happens when the car has sat over night and started. I can park the car at work for 8 hours in -20*C and no stumbling but that same morning when leaving for work I get cold start stumble. No codes.

I tried to disconnect the maf during cold start and I think the stumbling disappears with the maf disconnected but I cannot be 100% certain.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
You should check out this thread. Sounds like the same phenomenon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

mine is more of a miss-fire/stumble vice RPM surging....

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

A software update can definitely fix something like that. There are many parameters that control idle speed.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #6
nrugg25
United_States
Rep

Thanks all for the feedback, I'll take the car to the Seattle dealership and see if I can get the update that was referred to above. Will post results once I get it done.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #7
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrugg25 View Post
Thanks all for the feedback, I'll take the car to the Seattle dealership and see if I can get the update that was referred to above. Will post results once I get it done.
Let us know what was wrong. It sounds like the maf sensor acting up or needing cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
nrugg25
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
Quote:
Let us know what was wrong. It sounds like the maf sensor acting up or needing cleaning.
Went to the dealership and they had an updated installed that fixed the issue. No more pulsing!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #9
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
Quote:
Went to the dealership and they had an updated installed that fixed the issue. No more pulsing!
Thanks for the update. I narrowed my pulsing idle to EGR valve. And not the valve itself, but coding of how the car operates while the valve is open. Had dealership update me to 2019 integration level but that did not correct the issue. I am curious what integration level they updated you to? Do you have ISTA to check?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
Thanks for the update. I narrowed my pulsing idle to EGR valve. And not the valve itself, but coding of how the car operates while the valve is open. Had dealership update me to 2019 integration level but that did not correct the issue. I am curious what integration level they updated you to? Do you have ISTA to check?
Better yet, the actual swfl info of the firmware flash, not the integration levels.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #11
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
I am curious what integration level they updated you to? Do you have ISTA to check?
I'm curious as well. Not sure if this still works, but if you download your driver profile from the car to a flash drive, the I-Step will be written inside it.

The MobileProfile folder, open the .mpd file in a text editor and the I-Step level will be in the first few lines:

Quote:
<header>
<date>2018-06-16T20:45:47</date>
<version>1</version>
<username>USER</username>
<vin>A123456</vin>
<i-step>F020-18-03-532</i-step>
      06-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
nrugg25
United_States
Rep

Blank

I'm sorry I don't have ISTA to check.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:58 PM   #13
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sorry I don't have ISTA to check.
You dont need ISTA. Just save a copy of your driver profile to a flash drive as I mentioned in my earlier post.
      12-12-2021, 09:09 PM   #14
gryffishhawk571
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
A software update can definitely fix something like that. There are many parameters that control idle speed.
Have a 2014 328d RWD that exhibits a v similar situation, what I refer to as a rough idle. Mostly occurs when engine is fully warm and coming off a highway to city stop 'n go driving. If I shift to Neutral or Park at the stop light the problem corrects. Also, What is the software update you mention (never heard of software updates)? Is this something the dealership does during my routine/annual maintenance? Or something else? Love this car and it has about 53K on the odometer but it's had this rough idle for about the last 40,000 mi. I've also gotten the drivetrain malfunction warning and have had both the MAF and HPFP replaced. Do you think this rough idle is anything to be concerned about? or should I just accept it as a nuisance of driving a modern diesel? Mileage and performance is exceptional--typically in the 50+ mpg range and I've never used any fuel additives and only fueled with BP diesel as recommended by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #15
gryffishhawk571
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Quote:
Hey all; car has 25,000 and has been driven/serviced regularly. Recently it's developed a R-r-R-r-R-r-R rhythm at idle, sometimes the tach moves up and down but most of the time steady. Thought it happened only when cold, but just drove to Whistler from Seattle this Thurs and when idling at a light it happened again. Haven't done the EGR recall yet obviously as no parts are available. Any ideas?
My 2014 328d does the exact same thing and has since about 2016. If I shift to neutral or park when at a light it seems to correct the problem--seems like the engine is fighting with the transmission when in drive and slowing down at a stoplight? IDK--love the car and interested in any ideas or the software update you had done. All my services are performed meticulously at local BMW dealers since new but I've never heard or known of any software updates. Would really like to find a cure if possible--thx for the post and reading
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #16
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

gryffishhawk571 Isn't there an exact screen name like yours? I think the other one is without numbers, but I noticed familiar user names just yours with lower post count. Are you the same person?

Okay, anyways, here is the solution to your problem. In my case, even dealer software update to 2019 iSTEP did not correct the pulsing idle. The idle was always worse in colder weather, I always noticed it in winter. I did more investigating and when you unplug the EGR, the CEL illuminates but the rough idle ends. So there seems to be an issue with how software utilizes EGR. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the car or EGR itself.

The only solution was to get Kerma TDI tune - all you need is stage 1 tune. The funny thing is that Kerma does not disable any emissions components, they all remain on and operational, INCLUDING the culprit EGR system. Yet, there must be some sort of improvements in how the car operates the other parameters so that it does not cause this disturbing idle. The only thing is that your car will use more Ad Blue than it did prior to tune (i.e. you'd refill Ad Blue about every 6000 miles, versus at each 10k oil change), however in my opinion it is a worthy update and makes the car not only idle smoothly but also much more fun to drive. Order some VW/Audi Ad Blue online, I think it is only $7 apiece, and you will use 1.5 jugs to refill ever 6k miles. So that is about $11 extra, frankly that's nothing to complain about.... The fun to drive portion is the likely reason for more Ad Blue use, but keep in mind you get a better car while still fully EPA and CARB compliant with all emissions intact. That was my solution and I am sticking to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 10:20 AM   #17
M-Sport Wagon Funnnnnnnnn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 328d M-Sport Touring

Garage List
I had the same issue with my car and it was frustrating to say the least. I had the dealer look at it and they had the nerve to tell me “this is normal.” After a few cordial back and forth I told them I’ve had this car for almost five years now and it never use to do this. I even gave them a video where you can hear it and see the RPMs going up and down while at a stop light. I told them this is not what I expect out of a BMW. Two reflashes later the problem seem to go away. Now my car feels like she is going to die when approaching a stop light sometimes (usually in the morning - but it’s garage parked and I live in Texas) but the dealership says they need a fault to show and/or my check engine light to come on in order to fix it using the fuel pump recall. Ridiculous if you ask me because BMW is saying they want my car to die or stall on the road in order to fix what should be an obvious problem with an obvious solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #18
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Sport Wagon Funnnnnnnnn View Post
I had the same issue with my car and it was frustrating to say the least. I had the dealer look at it and they had the nerve to tell me “this is normal.” After a few cordial back and forth I told them I’ve had this car for almost five years now and it never use to do this. I even gave them a video where you can hear it and see the RPMs going up and down while at a stop light. I told them this is not what I expect out of a BMW. Two reflashes later the problem seem to go away. Now my car feels like she is going to die when approaching a stop light sometimes (usually in the morning - but it’s garage parked and I live in Texas) but the dealership says they need a fault to show and/or my check engine light to come on in order to fix it using the fuel pump recall. Ridiculous if you ask me because BMW is saying they want my car to die or stall on the road in order to fix what should be an obvious problem with an obvious solution.
Even then, the problem wouldn't likely be related to the fuel pump, so you'd get stuck with a bill for anything else non-related.
Others:
Appreciate 0