F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Log Review Thread
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #199
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3188
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_45 View Post
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ddbc833c090c670d017873b
Hey guys, here is my e30 stage 2 log I did! its a long one for best results, thank you!
Looks typical. Like most you're pushing 18+ even though request is 16, so there's some throttle closure as the car tries to compensate. Timing actually looks very high and clean. Higher than others I've seen.

I know some people ask if the AGG maps make more power and have different settings, and it seems like in some cases it does. I added your targets to the OP for everyone's reference.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #200
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_45 View Post
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ddbc833c090c670d017873b
Hey guys, here is my e30 stage 2 log I did! its a long one for best results, thank you!
Looks really nice bacon. Interesting that HPFP target is 3169 and actual is even higher.
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #201
InstigatorX
Private First Class
United_States
40
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i GC
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

2018 440i GC w/ MG stage 1 v2.7 93 octane

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1574034220

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1574034516

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1574034421

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1574034220

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:37 PM   #202
bacon_45
Private
39
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i BM3 FBO
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Looks typical. Like most you're pushing 18+ even though request is 16, so there's some throttle closure as the car tries to compensate. Timing actually looks very high and clean. Higher than others I've seen.

I know some people ask if the AGG maps make more power and have different settings, and it seems like in some cases it does. I added your targets to the OP for everyone's reference.
Thanks for looking at it brother, any idea how I can minimize the throttle closures or is it just tune based? Funny how my timing is good when I am in SoCal!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #203
bacon_45
Private
39
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i BM3 FBO
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
Looks really nice bacon. Interesting that HPFP target is 3169 and actual is even higher.
Thanks for looking at it boss! I am surprised my HPFP is holding out so good on e30.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 11:46 PM   #204
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3188
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_45 View Post
Thanks for looking at it brother, any idea how I can minimize the throttle closures or is it just tune based? Funny how my timing is good when I am in SoCal!
Yeah it seems to be tune based. If you don't feel anything in the car, I wouldn't worry about it. Seems to be the car's way of controlling boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_45 View Post
Thanks for looking at it boss! I am surprised my HPFP is holding out so good on e30.
Actually looking at it again, there are several dips. How are you verifying your E30 blend? Are you measuring the pumps actual percentage?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #205
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
135
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Reno, NV

iTrader: (0)

Are you logging in 4th, traction control completely off (long press on button) from 2.5k rpm to 6.5k or so?

The logs are a little difficult to read although it could be how mflasher logs. Your first few the timing correction especially on cyl 3 are a little crazy but the last one seems okay.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #206
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
135
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Reno, NV

iTrader: (0)

And the boost being in hpa is throwing me off as 2200 hPa is equal to about 31 psi.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 03:22 AM   #207
SC_B5X
Second Lieutenant
SC_B5X's Avatar
United_States
301
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 340i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

So I got around to buying 100% methanol from my local dragstrip and decided to do a 75/25 Meth/Water mix and test it out with my custom tune (Tuned for E30 + 50/50 Meth/Water). My rail pressure has been dropping pretty bad with E30, so I tried E20 + the 75/25 mix, here are the results.

3rd Gear Log:
https://datazap.me/u/richmichael97/w...54-55-56-57-58

4th Gear Log:
https://datazap.me/u/richmichael97/w...54-55-56-57-58

Currently running 504cc ProMeth Nozzles. I just Ordered 755cc ProMeth Nozzles and starting to wonder if i'll even need E85 with the increased methanol concentration.
__________________
Instagram: SC_B5X
2016 BMW 340i M-Sport Pkg
Pure 800 Turbo, Dorch Engineering Stage 2 HPFP, VRSF 4.5" Downpipe, Remus Axleback, CTS Turbo Intake, XHP Stage 3 Trans Tune, and Custom E50 Wedge MHD Tune
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:12 AM   #208
Nugget
Colonel
Nugget's Avatar
Australia
436
Rep
2,575
Posts

Drives: 2017 M140i, 1994 M3, 1997 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Looks typical. Like most you're pushing 18+ even though request is 16, so there's some throttle closure as the car tries to compensate. Timing actually looks very high and clean. Higher than others I've seen.

I know some people ask if the AGG maps make more power and have different settings, and it seems like in some cases it does. I added your targets to the OP for everyone's reference.
My OTS e30 logs generally had very clean timing, consistent between cylinders, but maxed out around 15 degrees.
Boost was very similar.

It is also interesting that 6th gear in the auto maxed out about the same speed as 4th in the manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #209
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3188
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
Are you logging in 4th, traction control completely off (long press on button) from 2.5k rpm to 6.5k or so?

The logs are a little difficult to read although it could be how mflasher logs. Your first few the timing correction especially on cyl 3 are a little crazy but the last one seems okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
And the boost being in hpa is throwing me off as 2200 hPa is equal to about 31 psi.
yeah, took a while for me to get it clear in my head. they do things very differently with their units and logging parameters.

Looks like you have some throttle closures due to overboosting. Again, pretty typical. I guess no B58 tuner has it 100% dialed in for everybody. Also interesting that your boost targets increase to 20-21 psi but the turbo never gets there. It stops between 18-19psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
So I got around to buying 100% methanol from my local dragstrip and decided to do a 75/25 Meth/Water mix and test it out with my custom tune (Tuned for E30 + 50/50 Meth/Water). My rail pressure has been dropping pretty bad with E30, so I tried E20 + the 75/25 mix, here are the results.

3rd Gear Log:
https://datazap.me/u/richmichael97/w...54-55-56-57-58

4th Gear Log:
https://datazap.me/u/richmichael97/w...54-55-56-57-58

Currently running 504cc ProMeth Nozzles. I just Ordered 755cc ProMeth Nozzles and starting to wonder if i'll even need E85 with the increased methanol concentration.
Looks really strong bro. 20+ psi and 16° advance is niiice. I'd just say pay attention to your partial throttle timing and make sure you have nice, progressive mapping on the meth kit. The octane will definitely compensate for less ethanol, but when you spray and how much you spray will keep it happy in scenarios that aren't full-throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
My OTS e30 logs generally had very clean timing, consistent between cylinders, but maxed out around 15 degrees.
Boost was very similar.

It is also interesting that 6th gear in the auto maxed out about the same speed as 4th in the manual gearbox.
Yeah our 4th is ridiculous. I've never had a car where 4th gear went over 120, much less up to 140. It does make logging more difficult.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #210
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3188
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

So I'm trying to wrap my head around our throttle closures. It already seems ridiculous to me that an electronic wastegate can't keep up with DME boost targets, but on top of that its using the throttle angle to compensate. Seems like everyone sees them across all tuners. Not as bad as the JB4 days, but still a factor that's not ideal.

Is it because of VANOS? I mean technically throttle angle is just an interpretation of the intake valve lift, right?

Is it because we don't have an actual diverter valve, so the car uses the intake to bleed off boost in a similar fashion?

Actually it might make sense if the throttle plate itself closes to reduce boost pressure in the manifold, then slowly bleeds air back in while the wastegate is adjusting.

And WHY THE HELL can't an electronic wastegate keep up on it's own?

It's starting to make more senses why big boost went with an aftermarket wastegate + controller combo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #211
enemigo13
Lieutenant
227
Rep
522
Posts

Drives: F30 340xi
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LT

iTrader: (0)

ewg learns, thats why after some tune “run in” you have less throtte closures.
also you can make tune which runs actual load below target in learning
process, not above. you will have 30-40 hp less in the lerning period but
no annoying closures which you can feel with butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
So I'm trying to wrap my head around our throttle closures. It already seems ridiculous to me that an electronic wastegate can't keep up with DME boost targets, but on top of that its using the throttle angle to compensate. Seems like everyone sees them across all tuners. Not as bad as the JB4 days, but still a factor that's not ideal.

Is it because of VANOS? I mean technically throttle angle is just an interpretation of the intake valve lift, right?

Is it because we don't have an actual diverter valve, so the car uses the intake to bleed off boost in a similar fashion?

Actually it might make sense if the throttle plate itself closes to reduce boost pressure in the manifold, then slowly bleeds air back in while the wastegate is adjusting.

And WHY THE HELL can't an electronic wastegate keep up on it's own?

It's starting to make more senses why big boost went with an aftermarket wastegate + controller combo.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #212
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3188
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
ewg learns, thats why after some tune “run in” you have less throtte closures.
also you can make tune which runs actual load below target in learning
process, not above. you will have 30-40 hp less in the lerning period but
no annoying closures which you can feel with butt
so I know my logs aren't showing anymore, but I definitely remember the main difference between v2.0 and the previous BM3 revision was "improved boost control." When I ran logs, all they did was request 14psi until 3000rpm or whatever, and then as the car overboosted it bumped request up to 16.5. So it looked more like they were chasing the wastegate response time rather than allowing the car to learn.

Personally I've only seen throttle closures in my logs. I've never felt it in the car on an OTS tune. The boost is smooth and consistent, so the actual throttle angle changes play no effect in the butt dyno. It's just weird that the wastegate response is so slow that throttle angle has to come into play. I've never had that issue on previous cars with stock or aftermarket boost control. Even on my stock log, the throttle closes to 60% because boost spike to 10psi when target was 8.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #213
Nugget
Colonel
Nugget's Avatar
Australia
436
Rep
2,575
Posts

Drives: 2017 M140i, 1994 M3, 1997 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5dd53578c090c613cffdf93a

This is an unfinished custom map for 93/98 and pure stage 2.
I never get throttle closures but it's also not overboosting on initial spool up.

I was also experimenting with no lift shifting and it was very effective.
No more throttle closure post shift it just pulled straight away.
So that's an option for those with a manual and little mechanically sympathy.
Appreciate 1
kern4173187.50

      11-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #214
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3188
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5dd53578c090c613cffdf93a

This is an unfinished custom map for 93/98 and pure stage 2.
I never get throttle closures but it's also not overboosting on initial spool up.

I was also experimenting with no lift shifting and it was very effective.
No more throttle closure post shift it just pulled straight away.
So that's an option for those with a manual and little mechanically sympathy.
Nice. Who's doing the tune? And what clutch are you using?

For NLS it looks like you're just power shifting. Not fuel cut in the tune since your revs are spiking. But the car is closing throttle to compensate while your foot is flat sorry but this stuff with throttle angle automatically adjusting on it's own is hilarious to me.

I won't judge timing since it's unfinished.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #215
Nugget
Colonel
Nugget's Avatar
Australia
436
Rep
2,575
Posts

Drives: 2017 M140i, 1994 M3, 1997 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Cary Jordan is doing the tune, Sachs Performance clutch.
Yeah it's not a proper NLS, I just never let off the pedal.
Not something I will do all the time but Cary was interested to see what happens as I asked him if he can figure out the rev hang issue.
Appreciate 1
kern4173187.50

      11-27-2019, 07:02 AM   #216
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3188
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Cary Jordan is doing the tune, Sachs Performance clutch.
Yeah it's not a proper NLS, I just never let off the pedal.
Not something I will do all the time but Cary was interested to see what happens as I asked him if he can figure out the rev hang issue.
The throttle literally closed for you. I don't know if that's a rev limiter thing or what, but way less efficient than cutting spark considering it still jumped 300rpm.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:04 PM   #217
SC_B5X
Second Lieutenant
SC_B5X's Avatar
United_States
301
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 340i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

So I did some more experimenting since my last post earlier, I tried going with a full tank of 93 octane and half bottle of BOOSTane Professional on my custom E30/Meth tune. Here is the log. No timing corrections or rail pressure drops.

https://datazap.me/u/richmichael97/w...54-55-56-57-58

I'm thinking about getting retuned for Boostane until I have the money to drop on the B58TU pump.
__________________
Instagram: SC_B5X
2016 BMW 340i M-Sport Pkg
Pure 800 Turbo, Dorch Engineering Stage 2 HPFP, VRSF 4.5" Downpipe, Remus Axleback, CTS Turbo Intake, XHP Stage 3 Trans Tune, and Custom E50 Wedge MHD Tune
Appreciate 1
kern4173187.50

      11-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #218
joeyb26
Captain
197
Rep
638
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i xDrive M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North NJ

iTrader: (1)

Any thoughts on these logs? I had issues with my tune so Support wrote me a custom tune to eliminate clutch slippage i was having. Had a lot of slipping last night but this morning when I went to log it, I couldn't get it to repeat the issue


http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de12f0ac090c6449173fad0

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de12f3ec090c6449173fad1

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de1300cc090c6449173fadd

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de14bb9c090c6449173fb7a

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de14c5cc090c6449173fb83
__________________
2016 340i xDrive 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #219
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3188
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
Any thoughts on these logs? I had issues with my tune so Support wrote me a custom tune to eliminate clutch slippage i was having. Had a lot of slipping last night but this morning when I went to log it, I couldn't get it to repeat the issue


http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de12f0ac090c6449173fad0

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de12f3ec090c6449173fad1

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de1300cc090c6449173fadd

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de14bb9c090c6449173fb7a

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5de14c5cc090c6449173fb83
I'll try to take a look later but just a tip: DON'T TAKE LOGS FOR THAT LONG!

All you need is 1 pull, from 2k-redline. After that, stop the log. If you start a log and realize you can't do a pull, stop the log and delete it later. These long logs with a bunch of partial/no throttle scenarios make it difficult to find a section with useful information.

Glad you got the clutch slip sorted though. I'll be buying a 550i clutch this weekend so I can get a custom tune next year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 1
joeyb26196.50

      11-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #220
Supr3me
Captain
Supr3me's Avatar
United_States
454
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: Your mom crazy
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sioux Falls SD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Would like to start sharing some logs from JB4 but wanted to see how you guys prefer to see, format etc. Do you prefer to see the graph view instead of the data values? If so, can I just save a screenshot to Imgur and paste the link to my post like this:
Log from 3rd gear, @2500 rpm https://imgur.com/a/f4US1Zj

Also, I can toggle some additional values onto the graph if I'm missing some critical stuff.

FYI, this is JB4 Map 3, MHD E85 BEF running about 40% E85/60% 93 octane.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thx
T.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST